Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vareigated gardenia- bud drop

Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 15:28

I love fragnant plants but have stayed away from gardenia, due to all the fuss they are (at least that is what I am told!!) I finally caved and am trying a couple now. my first one was a variegated one that I acquired in a swap (dont know cutlivar) that did very well the next spring and put out a whole lot of blooms, that were pale yellow, albeit very fragnant.
This year, complete different story- they set bud, but dropped every single one! Please tell me what could be wrong. I have this plant in a 14" pot, outdoors, afternoon shade (TX, Zone 7a) and indoors in a heated sunroom during winter. I did not change the location or pot this year.
Any suggestions as to what I can do?
In addition, my "frost proof" gardenia that I planted this spring in a flower bed,are looking pathetic after they finished blooming, and 2 out of 5 died! I am now an official gardenia killer..please help!

Thanks y'all!
mrao77

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vareigated gardenia- bud drop

They drop their buds when they are overwatered, underwatered, annoyed in some way....

o

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 20:27

Ha, ha.so my take of gardenia as 'fussy plants' was not too far fetched :)
As far as I know, it is in good draining potting mix in a decent size pot that drains well, and gets watered every day since it is in TX heat.
Also, the buds dropped progressively, not all at once, and they dried up on the plant before dropping. Does that say something?
Maybe I will have better luck next time.
Thanks for the input!

o

Ha..

A long time ago I had to just accept them the way they are and pray that I could just keep them alive no matter what they do.

That is when they behaved..lol

One would have to know their minds to give them exactly what they need, which is something you CAN master with time, to stay green and in bloom with no one ever knowing what your own plants need exactly. I think I have mastered that on a few thus far, thank goodness, by keeping one alive long enough to get to know it.

Mike:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here