Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming now and smelling good

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 15:36

My Mexican hydrangea is blooming now and she just got started. The fragrance is awesome real sweet with a touch of spice. If you live in zone 7 and up, these plants are very hardy, you just have to keep them in check. I grow mine in a pot, or at least this pink one.
 photo 2013-06-18075053_zps04d01c91.jpg

photo 2013-06-18075117_zpsc80718f9.jpg

photo 2013-06-20151620_zpse42d2a99.jpg

I bought a baby blue,whiten and pink one from a local who sells plants, but I have yet to see it bloom, its little.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming now and smelling good

Looks like Clerodendrum bungei.
Sweet with a touch of spice sounds nice.
I've often wanted to try some clerodendrums but I've heard how invasive they can be. Your pot suggestion is probably where I'll start one day. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Clerodendrum bungei

o

Hmm...this site compares the scent to Fruit Loops cereal! :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Loops?

o

Robert,
I have terrible soil where I live, and I wanted to plant it in part sun, so I potted it. It's positioned on to the side of a hill.
It's so big, I hope it doesn't suffer so much being stuck in a pot. Oh well, the other little one I have is in the ground under some big pine trees, but it is really small and I don't think I'll get a bloom this year on it. I hope so.
I am waiting to get some seeds from the big pink one to grow more of them.
If the small one blooms I will post pic of it, it's colors are suppose to be different.

o

Butterfly,

According to the first link I posted it should send up suckers from around the base so it should be easy to propagate that way (meaning you don't have to wait for seeds). :)

Think I might try a clerodendrum now thanks to your post. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Hi Butterfly!!

Beautiful....

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here