Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a more fragrant dianthus plumarius than...

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 15:56

It'saul white
Desmond

I want to plant the most fragrant dianthus that there is. I've read about the different types, and dianthus plumarius seemed like the most attractive species because of its hardiness and fragrance. I've also heard that even the foliage is fragrant for some of them! So anyway, tell me what cultivars you recommend from your own personal experiences, but they have to be hardy to zone 5. Also, does anybody here grow agastache? I've heard that agastache cana and agastache rupestris are extremely fragrant, and I've been looking for someone who will trade with me. Finally, are there any other hardy fragrant plants you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a more fragrant dianthus plumarius than...

There are numerous really great, very fragrant dianthus cultivars, with lovely glaucous foliage. I think the best thing might be to select them at the nursery and smell them one's self.

That said, I would like to put in a plug for Dianthus superbus , "White Lace", if you can find it. It used to be easily available and I am sentimentalIy attached to it, but the pink and white mixture, which you could grow from seed (all are really fast from seed, I understand) is probably just as good. You can always select out the white ones.

Note: what passes for it today appears to be Dianthus plumaris "lacy snowflake" -- they are not the same. Superbus is very very deeply fringed, like a spider, and is supposed to waft at night for yards. I never heard that it wasn't hardy, in fact I think it might like the cooler north.

Here is a link that might be useful: dianthus superbus Fringed pink (not white)

o
RE: Is there a more fragrant dianthus plumarius than...

I would second the white Dianthus superbus! I love the fragrance of mine. I think it is also called the Rainbow of Loveliness. The only bad thing is that my plants only last for 2-3 years and then they need to be replaced.

The scent of lilac Dianthus superbus that I have kind of smells like perfumed soap during the day and the scent much stronger during the evening.

I also liked the Dianthus Tiny Rubies but the flowers are really small.

Jennifer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here