Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
care on michelia alba

Posted by savy4 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 15:58

I have just bought a michelia alba yesterday. It looks like a grafted one. It is about 2ft tall and it is in a 2 gallon pot should I repot it or not. I don't know if I should or not please me some advice. On how to care for my plant. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: care on michelia alba

Hi Savy4,

I don't have one (though I'm sure one day I will).
I'm sure many people will give you advice but the FAQ section has some good advice.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Michelia advice

o

Yes. I would

I would put it in a mix I am familiar with and one that does not hold salt deposits from faucet water , or fertilizers. I would bare root carefully with a good stream of water from its old mix and start from scratch, making sure your new mix fills in around each and every root.

I would do it now since this is a good time for your plant to take hold in its new mix at this time of the year. This is when your tree is most active and more likely to take the repot well.

A good porous mix, one that only stays moist, not wet, after ad many waterings as you want,no matter how mant times you water will be the life of your plant. It will also allow you to repot into what ever size pot you want, the bigger the better will only encourage rapid and good size growth. The smaller the pot and restricted the roots are, the smaller your tree will stay.

Keep it out from full hot day sun. Dabbled light under a tree, morning or late afternoon sun is best. A good spray of the hose all over the leaves and kept protected from winds is also key.

I speak from experience.

Mike:)

o

Hi, Mike

What kind of mix would it be for it. I already bought a miracle grow potting soil, perlite and also peast moss would that be fine. And how big of pot should put it into from a 2 gallon into what size pot. And I also bought another michelia alba which is bigger it's about 4 to 5ft tall and it came from 3 gallon pot. Can I put it into 5 gallon pot? Oh, one more thing should I put into a clay pot or plastic pot which one the best choice? Thanks

o

Well, anything porous, although I use the soil mixes talked about at the containers forums.

Remember that the mix serves and an anchor for your roots and provides nutrients. If you use a very fine soilless mix, it will compact in a very short period of time proposing all kinds of problems for your tree not limited to inhibited growth, nutrient uptake issues, fungus gnats, possible root rot and others.

If you use a very porous mix, you will leave the mix to encouraging your tree to producing all kinds of very healthy roots, a mix that you can water as often as you would like, and a mix that allows good root growth by providing good oxygen exchange every time you water. You never have to worry about the salt deposits that can devastate your Michelia which are very sensitive to salt damage, a common thing that kills this plant along with gardenias.

Going along with the ingredients you stated you have above, I will give you an example of what I would use.

I would use 5 parts perlite, 1/2 part peat and 1/2 part soil mix. A majority of my mix would be the perlite with very little of the rest.

What I do use is 5 parts bark, sizes less than 1/2 inch big, 1 part perlite, and one part peat. I then mix in lime.

A very porous mix allows you to pot into a much bigger one without fear of root rot.

Tell me what you plan on doing. It would all depend on what you use for your mix that determines what size pot you would be able to use or limited to.

Mike

o

Good advice from Mike. :3 It's really important to give it the best draining soil you can and perlite is especially important for this.

I will share some other tips.

If you haven't already, I recommend using Seaweed Extract as it has a lot of micro-nutrients and beneficial hormones not found in artificial fertilizers. You can use it as a foliar feed with a spray bottle too.

Don't let the side branches get too long on potted Albas. It will not be pretty as the branch wood ages. Those heavy leaves at the end will drag down the branch and give it gnarly growth. So don't be afraid to prune lengthy side branches.

o

Hi Mike

Oh, what I would do is put the plant into a 10 inch clay pot mix 50% perlite 25% peat moss and 25% miracle grow potting mix and add some pine needles for some acidity. By the way where do I get the barks that you have mentioned and what is lime. The michelia alba came from a 3 gallon pot they told me to put it back into a three gallon pot. I thought it was odd. Because the plant is about 4 to 5 feet tall and it is full of branches I don't know if a 3 gallon pot would give enough nutriets for the plant so i decided to go a little bit bigger not much.

o

Hi Mesaboru

What is Seaweed Exract? And where do I buy it can you please tell me? And what kind of fertilizer should I use to make my michelia alba grow faster. So, it can produce some flowers and some branches. Because right now it's only about 1 1/2 feet tall. But I will have a another one which is about 4 to 5 feet tall I can't wait until it gets here. Do you have a michelia alba plants?

o

Hi Savy4,
Seaweed extract is an extract from cold water seaweed containing many micronutrients and plant hormones that are beneficial for plant growth. Some of these includes auxins, and giberellic acid. Giberellic acid, for example, can be applied to encourage troublesome seeds to sprout and auxins are a plant hormone that can be used to increase growth and flowering. It comes in a concentrated liquid form that will need to be diluted in water.

I use seaweed extract in addition to Osmocote now. You can get seaweed extract from home improvement stores (usually where the rooting hormones are) or perhaps a local hydroponics store. If you can't find them there, you can order it from online. A 1 quart bottle (32 oz) lasts at least a year for me.

Here's my main plant that went through a major trimming earlier this year. There were too many weeping branches causing the main trunk to lean that way. But it put out a side trunk and that side trunk to the left is all one year growth from last year (notice how the bark is still green on some parts). That's an example of how fast it can shoot once it gets established in it's pot. If planted in the ground, they can grow past the roofline within a few of years. Of course, that's best left if you live in a sub-tropical climate.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here's a weeping branch in the center that I left on.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Hello - newbie here.
In the second picture, those oblong thingies are flower buds - correct? How long does it take for them to bloom?
I bought a 2-gallon-pot plant in January this year.
Just transplanted it into a bigger pot about two months ago.
I notices those thingies on my plant for about 3 weeks now - but they are not doing anything (except to get fatter).

o

Hi Sheltiedad,
Yes, those are flower buds. It is about a month from a little nub to flowering. I believe it depends on the weather conditions, it may take longer if it's cooler.

o

Musa, your plant is beautiful! I love it!

Let me ask you. Do you find the flowers very fragrant from a distance, or do you have to go right up to them and put your nose just about into the flower to get a whiff of sweetness?
Even in the greenhouse, I can't seem to smell these flowers unless I get right up close to them.

Savy, that sounds great. By the way, using the perlite will definitely increase good drainage in your mix. A bigger pot will allow roots to grow and your plant to grow.

Mike

o

Thanks for the answer, musaboru.
I will wait patiently then.
Hopefully, I do not do something crazy/stupid to cause those nubs to drop off - I counted about 30.
The weather is unusually hot this year where I live.

o

Hi Musa

Your plant is very healthy looking I really like it. I hope mine will look like yours one day. I wonder how old is your plant? And how big is your pot that you've put the plant in? And when you first bought it how small is it? Because yesterday I just transplant my plant from a 2 gallon pot into a new 5 gallon pot but it is clay pot and just like you said I put in alot perlite to help with the drainage. About the seaweed extract when do I start using it on the plant after how many weeks of transplanting. Because right now i put the plant under shade to recover from the transplant then I will put the plant back into it place where there is morning sun later than comes the shade. And do I apply the seaweed extract to into the pot when I water it or just the foliage only. Oh, I forgot do I apply Osmoscote too and how often do I apply these two?
I'm sorry if I ask alot of questions. And thanks for your picture of the plant I wish you could see mine. One more thing I will be getting another michelia alba pretty soon this one is about 4ft to 5ft tall. So, what size pot do I put the plant into?
Savy4

o

Hi Mike,

Thanks your you help. I hope my plant will do well this time.
I will be getting one more at the end of this week.

Savy4

o

Mike, I can smell it from several feet away on some occasions. It can vary depending on the weather conditions.

Sheltiedad, keep doing what you're doing. Thirty flower buds is awesome. Don't give it anymore fertilizer or water than what you regularly give it. :)) Too much fert. can cause leaf burn and even make the buds drop.

Savy4,
I purchased it back in 2008 and plopped it into the 7gal pot and it's been in there since. Apply the Osmocote according to the label, I think its once every 3 or 4 months. And as for the seaweed extract, I like to apply it by spray onto the foliage to increase humidity. And whatever is left over in the bottle, I just dump it into the pot.

Here's a pic of it the day I got it.

o

Hi Musa,

Thank you for the pictures. I hope you can see my plants too. I just got my plant yesterday it is about 5ft tall. I think it almost looks like yours except. Mine doesn't have any flowers at all. I Think I will try to do what you do. But so far I haven't find seaweed extract yet.
Thanks Savy4

o

Hi Musaboru,
When do you prune? My plant is very leggy but I am afraid to prune (even though I prune my garden plants diligently) because i love the leaves so much. Also, since mine is indoors and flowers at different times, I never know when to do it. Do you find that this plant tends to produce new shoots in a similar way to magnolias which tend to send out several new shoots at odd angles?

Thanks!
Maggie

o

Savy4,

I just got my seaweed extract from Amazon.
I think the brand is called Maxicrop.
I bought a gallon (makes about 1500 gallons) - costs about $40 (free shipping).

The picture below is my little M. Alba.

o

First bloom - heavenly smell a few feet away.
(alas,it is competing with the fish emulsion fertilizer that I have applied throughout the garden this morning - I think the fish emulsion is winning)

o

Your M Alba looks great Sheltiedad :) I used to have one that size..sigh...I miss it! :)

o

Savy4, You can also get GrowMore's seaweed extract at http://www.plantsthatproduce.com/retail/Hormones.html (The prices are pretty reasonable and so is shipping there). This is the brand I use but I'm sure its available on Amazon or eBay also.

Maggie, I understand that feeling. I didn't have the nerve to prune because I didn't want to miss any flowers. I pruned my around February before the onset of flower buds. I don't have a set schedule for pruning though. And yes, the offshoots can grow at weird angles sometimes.

Sheltiedad, thats a magnificent-looking plant! Good form. How would you describe the scent? I just like to hear how it smells like to other people.

o

Musaboru,

I am not sure how to described the scent.
It is very complex yet very distinct.
I guess it is something what Asians would called a "clean/clear" scent.

o

Hi Sheltiedad,

Your plant looks great. How do I post the pictures on this web site. Because I want to show mine too.

Thanks Savy4

o

Savy4,

It is good to show off your "baby". :o)

Right below "Post a Follow-Up",there is a line that reads:
Image file to upload (optional): Choose File
Click on the box that is "Choose File" and then you can select any image files that are on your computer. (I think you can only do one at a time)

o

Hi Sheltiedad,

Here's one of the plant. I got two one is big and the other one is small. But I'm ready to repot this big one so I don't know if I should pot into a clay pot or a plastic pot. Which one do you think would best the best one for the plant. One nursery told the clay and other say any kind.
Thanks Savy4

o

Hi Sheltiedad,

Here's the smaller one I just bought too. I have repot this one already into the clay pot.

Savy4

o

Those all look so nice and healthy...!

The clay pot will do fine. But if it gets prolonged temps under 40F or so, you may want to wrap it in burlap. Clay pots conduct heat and cold well.

o

Savy4,

Wow, those are nice looking plants.
Based on Musa's and your photo, it looks like mine is getting too much sun (the leaves are more yellowish than green).
I read somewhere from some expert that these plants should be in the shade - which I do not quite understand - aren't they sub-tropic plants.

I heard that clay pot is a better insulator (for hot and cold). But I don't think that matters that much. The problem with clay is that I don't know how to drill extra holes if needed (I did find one with adequate holes).
Recently, I bought a pot which is resin/stone - works out pretty well.

o

Hi Musa,

Those are my plants that I just bought two weeks ago. I hope it'll still be nice after I transplant into a big pot. I saw your michelia alba in a plastic pot. That was the size and pot I'm gonna change my big alba into. But I wonder how often do you water it?

Thanks Savy4

o

Hi Sheltiedad,

Here's the picture I just repot mine yesterday into a clay pot. I hope it's doing fine.

Savy4

o

Your Alba will be thrive. Try to give it a bit more sun. I found over 5 hours sun and then half shade is the best. Otherwise too much sun makes the flowers open too fast. Too little sun will dramatically slow down the growth.

Mine has over grown my Wisky barrel. This year I take the odds and pruned it hard and root pruned it as well. Since I don't have a bigger pot. It got stunted but now the new pot was filled new roots. So top growth will come soon.

Here is the Alba before the growth flush.

o

Hi Yellowthumb,

I'm only putting it in the shade because I just repot it. But I will move it to the place where it will get full sun for about 4 to 5 hours like you said. But right now I'm just letting the plant adjust to the new pot after transplanting let say for about 2 weeks then I will move it into the permanent spot. But I have a question I wonder when I move my plant inside the house what would be the best location. I have spot where the window is facing south would that be a good spot for it because I live in zone 5 I will have too move the plant indoor when winter comes. Please give me some advice where to place my plant during winter time.

Thanks Savy4

o

Yellowthumb,

People with really green thumb should not be allowed to post pictures - so jealous here - look at all those flowers!!!

o

Hi Savy4,

You can put it in the most sunny spot you have, and it will be fine. Alba hates to have cold weather. I find it hard to kill, it may sulk a bit during the dark days, but recover nicely once the days get longer. The key is the mix you use, try to use gritty mix or 5:1:1, it's the key.

Hi Sheltiedad,

Thanks for the kind words. If I can do it, you can do it 10x better given your weather.

In one month, it will look so much better.

o

Hi Yellowthumb,

What is a gritty mix I had just repot my alba. And I mix it with perlite, sphanghum peat moss, and potting soil. I hope would it be okay. So what you are saying is that I could put into a sunny spot even though it had just been repot.
Savy4

o

Hi Savy4,

Your mix is OK but not optimal. If you search on Container forum, you will find out what is a gritty mix.

You can put it into a sunny pot right away as long as you are not doing a massive repot. A massive repot means root pruning. You are probably just potting up, putting into a bigger pot. If that's the case, yes, give it more sun. Like 5 or 6 hours.

o

Hi all,
I have been spying on this posting for a long time, but I was not confident enough to write something because of my limited English.
Thank you all for those lovely pictures and great advice. All your michelia are so healthy and beautiful.
I bought a michelia alba with very little tiny leaves three months ago. At first I thought it was not a michelia. It was a air layering one. But now the news leaves are more bigger than the old one. Thanks to All's 5:1:1 mix.

Yellowthumb, I don't have the nerve to "bare root" my michelia and pot it into the gritty mix. So jealous of your flowers. I hope I can smell the michelia scent one day.

o

Hi Epioxi,

No, you don't bare root your Alba. I don't have the nerve neither. What I do is simply gently shaking off the old dirt, sometimes you use a thin stick to loose up the root a bit. But be gentle. Since Alba has meaty roots, they hate too much root work.

Then you simply pot up with gritty mix. New roots will grow into the gritty mix in no time if the weather is good. After that, I almost water every day. They are happy like a pig.

o

@yeloowthumb,
OK. I will do it next time when I have to pot it up in the gritty mix. My michelia is doing great in the 1,5" plastic pot. I potted it in the plastic pot so I can see the roots growing.
I have read your posting about your denias. Hope it survived and is in a good shape now:) I used to have one but it got mealybugs and I have to throw it away:(

o

Hi Yellowthumb,

The reason why I repot was that when I first bought the plant they shipped to me just the roots wrap with plastic bag and the size of the rootball I think it's about a 2 gallon pot. Then they told me to put the plant into a small pot until it adjust. When it is adjusted then I can repot it but right it has been a week already. So, do you think I can put under full sun now.

Thanks Savy4

o

Ok guys! I am sorry I am late to this party but I LOVE iT!!!!!!!

I have more reading to do but I wanted to say your trees are BEAUTIFUL!

Savy, how did you get yours to grow straight up like that. I love it!

Yellow, what do you feed yours and how in the world do you carry it in every fall!? Do you ever have a problem with insects? You are right! I only give mine about 5 hours of morning sun and then dabbled light under a tree and it seems to love it.

My goodness, your Albas are beautiful everyone! I can smell them from here.
Maybe I will get a pic of mine too. It's only a year old from when I bought it when it was 6 inches high,

Nite everyone.

Mike

o

If the roots were not greatly disturbed, then yes, you can put in under the sun around 5 hours. You could observe it on a weekend. Just check out your tree once every hour to see how it reacts. They will love it under the sun. Roots grow much faster than in shade. You might lose some old leaves, but new ones and of course, flowers will flow.

o

Hi Yellowthumb,

Today is the first day I had put it under a sun. But I think is a morning sun. Let's see how it react today.
Because I'm not home to check on it. So, I don't know how it'll do. I hope it does fine.

Thanks Savy4

o

Hi Mike,

When I purchase it looks like that.

Savy4

o

Hi Yellowthumb,

Does it suppose to look like that out in the sun. Because today is the first day I put out in the sun. And it looks like the leaves are dropping I think because it's too hot. Because the weather here today is about 94 but it feels like 103. I hope it's okay.

Savy4

o

Hi Yellowthumb, here's another picture.

Savy4

o

Hi Savy4 - that is a very nice looking tree. How hot is your temperature? And is the soil dry. Mine gets that way when it needs water. I keep mine on the south side of the house, but it is under the eaves. Ahhh...I spied plumeria...that's also another love of mine...Happy gardening.

Kasie

o

A bit droopy, mine does that at the beginning too. The key is to water it almost everyday given that hot weather. And the plant should perk up in a couple of hours. If it doesn't perk up well, then give it less sun. Otherwise, keep give it more sun. It may lose or yellow up your existing green leaves. But I wouldn't mind. Those are greenhouse leaves.

o

Yellowthumb.

I think you missed my questions and hello. Hope dll is well with you. Beautiful tree.

Mike.

o

Hey Mike.
Sorry to miss your questions. I just read too fast. You are the last person in the world to miss questions.

How is your Champaca shopping doing?

I do have insect problem. But no such a big deal, I spray neem oil a few times at fall. At March, I keep an close eye for Scale and spider mites. The key is detect them early.

I feed mine using foliage pro and pure blend pro grow formula. Move it indoors is a bit work, since the plant and the wheel barrel weights over 100 pound. Not easy, my back hurts while I am typing.

I would love to see your Alba picture. My dream is to have citrus as green as yours.
Keep in touch.

o

Yellowthumb, no problem. That is what I do all the time.lol I read these so fast in the short time that I have sometimes, that I respond to the last poster so I won't be rude.lol

I hope you are having a good day! It's raining here and then it is suppose to clear up and be hot and humid. Just the perfect weather for my Alba!

Thanks for the info. I am always learning from you. You have a great gift buddy!

Savy: Thank you for that.

Mike

o

Hi Kasie,

The weather that day was 94 but it feels like 103. I just repot it about week ago that's why it looks like that.

Savy4

o

Hi, Yellowthumb,

I feel the soil last night it feels dry on the top. But the bottom soil feel moist. So, I don't know if I should water it or not. Because the last time I watered it was about a week ago when I repot.

Savy4

o

Savy

Oh my goodness! You should be watering more often in that mix than once a week after a repotting, especially in that heat. The top roots will die before the lower roots ever get a chance to fill in your pot to the moist mix.

If it gets that hot, why not put it into complete shade until it bounces back again and can hydrate itself after a completer bare root shock? It won't hurt your tree to give it shade for a while.

Yellowthumb, whom I think should be 'greenthumb' will be by to give his opinion since he and I use the same mixes.

Mike:-)

o

Mike,

You are right about the watering. I water mine every single day no matter what. Sometimes twice a day at end of July because the tree flushed with so many new growth. I never had root rot issue. The roots are teeth white.
Given that mix and the heat, it's no problem. It's better to water a bit more than less. Less is cruel for Alba given this weather and that amount of foliage. If you use 5:1:1 and weather is hot, water at least every two days or once a day. The roots won't rot.

o

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your idea I'm gonna put my plant back in the shade. Then I'm gonna water it really good tonight to see if it bounce back. The reason why I put the plant out in the sun is that because yellowthumb said it would be okay for the plant to be out in the sun. Thanks for your quick response.

Savy4

o

Yellowthumb,

I'm gonna try to be more care about my watering method. I had the smaller alba which you see in the picture it does fine after I repot it. It has no transplant shock at all. And I placed it under full sun but I kinda built a shade to protect it from getting direct sunshine on it does fine for me, now I see lots of new shoots in small alba. And I only watered once since I transplant it about three weeks ago it does fine for that one. I try to feel the soil first before I watered it again because I don't want to over water it at all. So, last night that's what I did with the big alba and the soil feels completely dry on the top it is about 2 inches of the soil is dry.
But the bottom soil feels moist. That's why I didn't water it yet. Because I wait to ask your opinion.
Savy

o

Hi Mike,

I have a question about my champaca. When I first purchase it, it was about 1 feet tall and it has lots of leaves. Now after transplanting my tree only has the trunk no leaves at all. So, I wonder what happen to the plant, will it ever come back. I will try to post the picture next time.

Savy4

o

Savy...When you repotted it, what exactly did you do?

Did you bare root it?
Did you just pot up?
Was it very healthy when you repotted?
How did the roots look?
Is the trunk still alive?
Did you stick it right in the sun after you repotted?
Have you been watering often?
Did you ever let the plant go completely dry, too dry?

Can you give us as much detail as possible, even where the tree is now?

A picture would be wonderful! Yellowthumb is much better at growing these trees than I am. I am good, but I would have to say Yellowthumb has been there for me. so I think a picture will help him too along with as much detail as possible:-)

Mike

o

I think Savy doesn't use the same mix as we use. I means the Al's gritty mix or 5:1:1 what is talking about in the container garderning forum.
I have one question for Savy: What water do you use for watering the Michelia. Is it soft water and acidic?
Savy, you have to do your homework before "Twogreenthumbs" comes here and helps you.
Hope your michelia will recover soon.

o

Hi Mike,

Here's the picture of the plant now. What I did was I repot it 3 three times. First, time I repot when I first I got the plant from shipping. I order the plant from ebay, it was a healthy plant. But I pot it up the wrong soil, the soil was a cheap potting soil and it is a very soil. So, when I watered it, it didn't really drain. So, decided to repot the second time, and I just use miracle grow potting soil alone. And then I try to repot again the third time that's I started to mix in perilite, peat moss, and miracle grow potting mix. But after I repot the third time a week later, I decided to put into the sun but not really full sun I kindda a built a shade for it. But then I started to see the plant leaves turn yellow. So, I decided to really to into full, full sun and the leaves really got dropped all gone.

o

Hi Mike,

Here's the picture of the plant when I first repot it.

Hi Epioxi,

I try to do the research on the gritty mix the 5.1.1 mix thing but I don't really understand at all.

Savy 4

o

Hi Savy - I love M. Alba so much that I have 6 in pots and 1 in the ground (full sun all day) that I am experimenting with...so far so good. What I have learned is that these plants do not perform well for me when I pot up to a much bigger pot...gradual is the key (for me).

Did you just water the pot? I would not let that sit in full sun Savy, it needs to be in shade. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Kasie

o

Hi Kasie,

I love michelia alba too. So, this I bought two one small is about 1 feet tall and other one is big about 5 feet tall. The one that you see the picture earlier that was drooping the leaves because it needed some water. I think it's really hard for me when to water this plant because I don't want to over water it. And I just repot that big one too and I placed it under full sun. I found out that didn't really like full sun yet because of the transplant process. So, I move it back in the shade now I continue to water it once a week.

Savy4

o

Hi Savy4 - you'll do fine. Just keep an eye on them. I'm sure that soon you'll start seeing leaves sprouting from the small one. Good luck and happy gardening.

Kasie

o

Savy,
You can look up rareflora.com (as suggested by musa). They have Champaca for $15 if you little champaca does not make it. I am sure their plants are seed-grown, though - will take years to bloom.

With your weather, my very limited experience suggests that once a week drenching of your m alba is not really enough especially when they are sitting in small containers. I water mine almost daily. If root rot gives you nightmares, you should really look into gritty mix.
Essentially, it is one third pine bark, one third crushed granite, and one third water garden media with a few spoonful of gypsum.

Unfortunately for me, to do this for a 20-gallon container will break both my bank and my back.

o

Thank-you Kasie and Sheltie for your help. I will try my best to take care the albas.

Savy4

o

Savy! I have been confused.

Are you asking with help on your tree in the gritty mix, or this one you just posted in the miracle grow mix?

I am guessing you need help with both? I have been brain dead these days and I want to get it right for you along with all these other good folks.

Mike

o

Mike I think I need help with both.

Savy4

o

Hi Mike,

I wonder how long does it take for the michelia alba to start growing new leaves after transplanting? Because I think I had transplant it about 4 weeks already and I didn't see any new growth yet.

Savy4

o

Hi Savy! I think it would all depend on the care you are giving it. If you are doing what you have been helped with, I would not be surprised to see new leaves before the end of summer.

Just make sure you are providing water at the right time, giving lots of light, and using a good porous mix. You will be ok.

Mike:-)

o

Hi Mike, thank you for your advice right now my michelia albas are doing great the small alba is putting new shoots and the big alba doesn't show any new growth yet but it seems to be doing great too. I"ve given some lights it has the afternoon sun about 3 to 4 hours of sun. And I think it's doing fine and I try to water my the albas every other day. Right now I"m just testing which location of the house would be best for the albas. Because I don't want them to be in full sun all day yet. I'm trying to introduce them to the sun little by little and eventually it will get full sun. I have notice that when the sun hits them the new shoots that I have it droops and later when night comes it is fine. Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have some flowers.

Savy4

o

You are doing a fine job! That is great news!

No need to give FULL all day sun. I never do and mine does great. I put mine under my arbor so it get early sun until about 11am , and then it gets sun again after 2pm.

Between Yellowthumb, wonder where he has been laetly, hoping he is ok, and the rest of fine folks here, your plants will be making you a very happy person. We are all here fo ryou anytime.

Mike

o

Hi Mike,

Has been busy fishing and watering my plants. We had server drought here. No rain at all. So watering my plants is a big task.

On the other hand, all my plants have been doing great. They sure outgrow my house.

I will take a picture of my Alba. It has been growing so many new leaves.

Take care

YT

o

savy, please keep us updated with your michelia.
Hope your michlia will recover soon and give you a lot of fragrant flowers one day.

o

Are Michelia Albas always upright plants? I purchased a plant that is more spreading than upright, is this normal for the Michelias? It is producing a lot of wonderful flowers.

o

Anyone want to see a giant michelia alba? Here it is!!!! I grow this michelia alba tree in my backyard in San Francisco, Ca. It is about 30 feet tall and about 30 years old. Each year it bloom a lot of very fragrant flowers. Enjoy the picture.

o

Here are the flowers from my 30 feet tall michelia alba tree. How do you like them?

o

Hi Epioxi,

Right now my 2 albas are doing great. I just got back from CA and the two plants look really different the smaller alba has 5 flowers and the big alba has alot of new shoots thanks for asking.
Savy4

o

Hi Michelia-Mickey,

I love the picture of your tree. I was just there in San Franscisco,CA. I love michelia albas it has beautiful scent. One day if I ever move there. I will plant alot of albas. Thanks for the picture.
Savy4

o

@savy Glad to hear that your michelia are doing well. Now you can smell the wonderful frangrance of michelia. I'm so jealous, lol. I still have to way. My grafted michelia is growing very well. But it doesn't bloom for me now. No sign of bud. It's just 5 months since I have bought it.

o

Anyone knows how to correct/edit a message?
Sorry for my limited English.

@savy
Here is my michelia. You can see how fast the plant is growing in about 4 months.

o

@Epioxi: Your michelia alba grow very good and tall. Does it bloom yet? Look like it you give it al lot of filtered sunnlight!!!! That is very good for it. Please post the picture when there are flowers bloom from your michelia alba. Good luck. Here is the picture of my michelia alba flowers.

o

Hi Epioxi, is your michelia growing indoor or outdoor? It looks like it's indoor. It seems like it is doing very well. Savy4

o

savy, yes, I'm growing it indoor. We had -27�C/-16�F last year. It definitely dies at this temperature. I just want to smell the fragrance of it one time:) and try to keep it short.

Mickey, thanks for the flowers.

o

Hi Mickey,

Does insects eat up the leaves of the your alba. Because I just start seeing my alba leaves got eaten up by a insects but I don't know what of kind insects yet. It eat up four to five leaves and half of the flower buds. So, I was curious to what kind of insects. Can you please let me know how to control the insects problem. Thanks Savy4

o

Hi Epioxi,

When do I bring my michelia alba plants inside cause fall is here now and the temperature at night started to drop some night 50's, 40's, and it's gonna be in the 30's.

Thanks Savy4

o

Hi savy4,

I have read somewhere in GW that Michelia can bear 32's for a short time, but I don't let my Michelia give all his energy against the cold and slow the growing. I take my plant inside if the temperature is going to drop down to about 40F.

o

Hi epioxi,

Thanks for your info, I'm gonna bring mine inside tonight. Because tonights is gonna be 38 degree and I think this week we'll get some frost too.

savy4

o

Hi epioxi,

My Big Albas has alot of buds and some are blooming here's the picture. When I counted the buds it is about 40 buds.

o

And here is the blooming one.

o

Wow 40 buds! That's an achievement. Congrats savy4 : )

o

savy4, Congratulations!!!!!!!Thanks for sharing your photos. Your room will smells heavenly:) Back in the time I was young in Vietnam I have heard a lot of the Michelia fragrance but I never had a chance to smell it. I hope my michelia will bloom some day. So jealous here:)

o

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 11:04

Congratulations, Savy4!!! Your persistence paid off :)

If you would, please share the source of your Michelia. Are they from an online source or local nursery?

Thanks,
mrao77

o

Hi Kemistry,

Thank you!

Savy4

o

Hi epioxi,

Thank you looking at the pictures. It took about 2 to 3 months for these buds. What I did was I fertilize it with osmocote for veg. and flowers back in August it just took off like that.

Savy4

o

Hi kemistry,

I bought the alba from an online source back in June you could see the picture on this page if scroll back and see it. I bought it at nursery back in Florida. And they ship it to me it was a big plant.

Savy4

o

Well done, guys! I am really in trouble now... can't decide Michelia for next year or Plumeria... You guys really tempted me for both but I don't have room left for one...I really miss the sweet scent of Michelia... Anyway, to make a plant life well, bloom well is a lot of work, Congrats.

o

Olympia: I think it is very good for you to plant Michelia Alba,since you only have room for one plant. Michelia Alba flower's fragrant are so sweet. Plant the Michelia Alba for next year!!! Good luck!

o

Hi Olympia,

I would do the alba because I have plumeria too. But I like the scent of the alba better.

Savy4

o

Hi Mrao,

Thank you for your comment. I bought the michelia alba from tt nursery in Florida it's an online source. I bought it way back in June.

Savy4

o

OK, Savy4, Mickey, You convinced me. Michelia as is. Written down on my sinner's list.... Plumeria keeps invading in the front my eyes though...

Mickey, It is a huge tree! I can smell the fragrant of your tree. If I was in CA, I would stand under the tree for long time, inhale its sweet, intoxicating fragrance... I grow up with this scent and missed it so much...

Yellowthumb mention earlier that the yellow Michelia Champaca is easier to grow. I am in zone 5, nothing grows outside in winter time. All has to be inside which is in lower light and lower temperature environment for 6 months... I am thinking, first is to keep the plant alive, second is to have the plant bloom. So keep the plant alive takes higher priority on deciding which one to get...

o

Hi Olympia,

From my experience the plumeria is much easier to care for then the alba. Because I live in zone 5 too and I have alot of plumeria and it never died on me. But the Albas I have quiet a few of those but they died on me. I didn't give up I just keep on buying more because I like the scent of the alba better. And now I have to two Albas 1 big one and one small one. And the plumeria I used to alot too but I sold them one by one. And now I only have one left the color is white and yellow in the center. And now my big alba is blooming every day and it smell through the entire room and I like it.

Savy4

o

Hi, Savy4, Thanks for the encouragement. I do admire your determination. I had a M. Alba that only lasted one summer. M.Alba is not a inexpensive plant + shipping, it can easily over hundred dollars... is not going to break my bank but consider a poor invest/return... I do love the scent of M.Alba... I grew up in places that people sales these flowers on the street. I am very much attached/addicted to its fragrant. I would dream to have one bloom in my house . I read so much about how to grow this plant here and see so many members like you in cold zone have successfully grow it... This is very encouraging... I am very much at a point of giving it a try one more time.

o

@ Yellowthomb: I like your michelia alba tree. It is very strong and healthy! I just wonder how do you post multi. pictures on this post? Can you tell me how to do it step by step? Thank you. The picture is the one that I airlayered on June 2011 and dicovered it forming roots on July 2012. I transplanted it into the pot on Aug 2012, at that time it had some buds already. Couple days ago the flower buds bloomed. I think the michelia alba is growing!!! So happy to see that!!!

Thank you!

Mickey

Mickey

o

I airlayered my michelia alba on June 2011 and I discovered on Oct 6 2012 that it rooted. I cut it off the mother tee and trnsplanted into a pot. Hope it will grow. Blow is the the rooted airlayering michelia alba. Can you see the roots?

o

Here is the picture of my airleyerd michelia alba on June 2011 and I transplanted it into a pot on Oct 6 2012.

o

Hi everyone me and my bf bought a magnolia alba at the same time around june and mine is already blooming flowers with lots of buds but his has lots of leaves with no buds. I live in an area that is much hotter and drier than he does and he lives near the beach which is much cooler will this make a difference on his plants budding? His plant has 0 buds but great big healthier leaves than mine.

o

Hi couturelady, It will take time for your bf plant to flower. If the plant is mature enough it will bud.

o

can you compare this picture with the picture that I loaded on Oct 6 2012 ( Michelia-Mickey )to see the difference on my airlayered michelia alba? Today on my potted airlayered michelia alba, all the green leaves had turned to brow and the two small branches also turn to blown. Is it dying? Is any way that to save it? Need some healpful advise, thank you so much!!!!

Mickey

o

Hi everyone,

I have a question about my alba. Why is my alba leaves keep on dropping one at time? Is't because I over watered or what? But when I touched the soil before I watered it seemed to be dry, so I watered it. I watered the alba about every two weeks 1/2 gallon of water. I thought what I was doing is right but it must be something that is not right. By the way the room has lots of sunshine it's in front of the south window. I don't think sunlight has anything to do with it.

I turn the heater on in the room to keep the room very warm and humid I have alot of other plants inside that room too some do very well and some don't so I don't know why. Please give me some advice so my plant can recover from leaves turning yellow and drop. I want my plant to survive during this long winter months.

Thanks Savy4

o

Savy....How do the newer leaves look? Do you have any new growth? Is that newer leaves green?

I found that no matter how healthy mine is,it will still shed leaves at certain times of the year, in particular, fall and spring to make room for more branching and taller growth. If I am not mistaken, it is common for many growing trees to drop leaves in cycles.

If you newer growth is ok, and the mix is holding water perfectly, in the sense that it is well draining and dries out rather quickly, providing lots of light, and not watering in sips, it should be just fine.

Is there any chance you could take a picture of the plant and the mix it is in?

Mike

o

Hi Mike,

Here is the picture the of the albas one is small and one is a big and the soil. First picture is a small one.

o

And here is the big Alba one.

o

Here is the soil.

o

And here is closer look at the leaves of the big alba. The one that seems to drop the leaves the most is the big alba not the small alba.

Savy4

o

Hi Savy4, Back in July this year one of your michelia alba lost all its leaves. I wonder if this one above picture is that one has grown new leaves ?

o

Hi Sam,

No this is not the plant.

Savy4

o

Hi Savy4, I have a michelia alba plant just repotted in a 3 gallon orchid bark medium. Because its root is not fully developed and is under severe stressed now. It will drop all of leaves. Do you think my air-layered plant will survive if it becomes leafless ? Thanks. Here are the pictures:
different angle view
I transplanted the plant into a 3 gallon pot. The soil is I used is Super orchid mix from Rod McLellan Co. in SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO. The company is closed for business and this good orchid potting soil discontinued. The land lot is used for real estate. I really missed the place.

o

Hi Sam,

I think it'll survive but I was wondering are you in the warmer climate zone because if you do I think it has better chance of surviving. But here where I'm at in zone 5 now everything has to be indoor. So, transplanting now in my zone will not make it. So, I hope the best for you your albas looks great. And I hope that one day that I could airlayer mine also.

Savy4

o

Hi Savy4, Thanks for your encouragement. I'm in San Francisco zone 10 and weather is warmer in the winter. Yesterday I just repotted the just transplanted to a 1.5 gallon from 3.0 gallon. The soil in new container will dry out faster. In the process the root ball looked Ok No rot and I found a new tiny feeder root. This explained why the plant dropped 80% leaves.
I think I made a mistake to sever the plant from mother plant before more roots developed. I'll keep an eye on this to see if it will survive.

o

Hi Sam,

That is great that your in San Francisco. It'll do just fine. I was there back in August of this year. It was beautiful.

Savy4

o

I m with Savy, I think it will be ok in your care and in your weather! You are so lucky. Savy and I have to bring ours indoors all winter!:(

Savy, your trees look great! I wouldn't worry about a thing. Your tree is a beauty and in fact I am jealous. So big and tall and green. Great job!

o

I m with Savy, I think it will be ok in your care and in your weather! You are so lucky. Savy and I have to bring ours indoors all winter!:(

Savy, your trees look great! I wouldn't worry about a thing. Your tree is a beauty and in fact I am jealous. So big and tall and green. Great job!

o

Savy and Mike, I like your weather in Summer which is much hotter. The Summer in San Francisco is so cold and miserable.
Mike, Your citrus plants and gardenia were so beautiful in your care.

o

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your encouragement.

Savy4

o

Hello,

Do you guys know what this is?
It has shown up on my M Alba since August.
This happens on some leaves but not all.
The plant seems to be doing fine.
But it is sort of unsightly.

o

Hi Sheltie,

I have read about that kind of problem before and maybe it is because of too much water or less water or fertilizer, so I don't know which one is for sure. But I hope you find the answer you're looking for.

Savy4

o

Dear Sheltie:

Hopefully, this finds you doing well and that you had a nice Christmas and New Years! I had the same problem with my Michelia Abla, and I found out it was the to much water issue. My plant is growing in a room which gets some morning and afternoon sun and I use a humidifier and the room gets some heat but not from a heater fan. I learned that mistake twice, if you try to keep the room warm with heater fan and even if it's not directly near the tree, it tends to dry the leaves out, even if you use a humidifier or cool mist to raise the humidity. That was on two young plants that was shipped bareroot, which is a nono with Albas, as it stresses the plant to much. With a bigger plant, I am not sure if the heater fan would harm it, but Savie's is doing great with that as well, so I guess it depends on the over all health of the Alba. I found when over watered a little, some of my leaves started getting dark marks or brown patches all over, not just in location, but at the same time it was not as bad as yours, but if left to progress, that is what will happen. I have since removed the bad leaves and I have not watered the plant and it seems that all the other leaves left on the plant are doing good and not browning, etc. Also, my leaf buds have all of a sudden started to get longer and bigger and I have little buds popping up all over the place. I do also mist the Alba a few times a day with water, I avoid doing that in the evening, so not to harm the plant. Since the one room is warm/cool, not very hot, the plant does not need much water and the leaves are not wilting and the pot's heavy, so that is a sign to lay off. I did read an important post on here, that some times the top soil can be dry a little, but the bottom soil can still tend to be wet, so some times that can work bad as well for you, but the pot is heavy when you pick it up, its still good. When this happens with the leaves, it's like over night and the very next day you notice the browning that was not there the day before. It could also be that your Alba is being scorched in the sun and I am not sure how young your plant is, but I would first guess the water problem, because that is how mine was. I will post the picture of this plant and later will take pictures of buds that have grown for me since the leaf problem. My Alba is about 3ft tall and air layered, I purchased it off Ebay from a Nursery in CA and it was priced at $88.90 and I thought that was well worth the quality of the plant. As of today, that seller, is still offering nice plants on Ebay. My tree was never staked and was sent as it was, but you can't see in the picture, but the trunk was pretty even and not twisted like some are that are staked. Youger Alba plants in my opinion are easy if you get them at the right time of the year, since so much could go wrong at other times,like what happened to me first. Long time ago I got an Alba from a place in Florida and it was not like the one I got from this grower on Ebay, it was pitful and was shipped bareroot, and had centipeds in the rootball and so, you can guess what happened with that one, lol. I am from NWPA, I live in New Castle, so like Savie, I am zone 5-6, they change it so much every year, it's hard to keep up with latest zone information. How is your Alba doing right now for you? **My Alba is a little darker than what the picture is, due to using a cell phone cam.

:-)

Thomas

o

Hi Thomas,

Your Alba looks great. I think I have a little problem with my Alba maybe I watered mine too often or what but it seems like the leaves keep on dropping and the leaves also turn brown. So, I try to lay off the water to see what happend and I didn't see the leaves drop any more. But at the top of the pot it seems very dry and I try to feel the soil it seems moist. So, I try to pick the pot and the pot was very heavy, so I didnt water it. But I have a question should I change the location of the plant it gets full sun half of the day and it is also close to the window. But my other alba which is smaller one does fine in the same location. When it gets cold at night I turn on the oil heater for it but I didn't use the humdifier at all yet. So, please give me some advice on how to care for my Alba.
Thanks Savy4

o

Hello Thomas,

I have not been back to this page for a while.
My poor Alba got clobbered during the prolonged frost spell in January - which is sort of unusual for SF bay area.
Here is the picture.
It's cousin (in the background), a Magnolia Liliiflora, has the better sense to shed all its leaves and go dormant during this time.

o

Hi everyone,

I have a question about my michelia alba that is grafted. Will it ever grow big because the grafted area they wrap a plastic around it. Will the trunk of the plant grow bigger or not. I will try to upload the picture tomorrow.

Thanks Savy4

o

Hi can any one tell what wrong of my alba leave. please see the photo enclosed.I planted in 7 gal .most of the leave are the some I got about 10 plant. after changing pot 2 to 7 gal.

o

I think you water the plant too much water. Only water it once every week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here