Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming success with Chlidanthus fragrans?

Posted by mattdiclemente z7 New Jersey (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 16:13

Chlidanthus fragrans is a shy bloomer.
I am very eager to smell its delicate yellow flowers though. Has anyone had success bringing these bulbs into bloom?

I aquired some bulbs last year, and planted them in a pot.
I planted them close together, all in one large pot, as is typically advised. I planted them shallowly to the neck of the bulb (like amaryllis) watered them, and they took off. Unfortunately, they did not flower. They grew well with fine grassy leaves all summer, and I took them indoors in November. They stayed dormant over the winter, but by March, with not encouragement from me, they were showing very ready signs of growth.

I put them outside April 1, and again they took off.
As July approaches howevever, as I realizedthey have still not bloomed, and I begin to fear the great pumpkin has passed me by once again.

Has anyone had better success than I have.

I understand that, if the bulbs are exposed to heat they produce offsetts at the expense of the individual bulb. It is recommended that the pot be shaded, or sunk into cool soil, with the tops in good light. Presumably culture aimed at the developement of the individual mature bulbs aids in flower developement.

Also reccomended is a high phosphate fertilizer in Fall as the bulb goes dormant to promote flower bud developement.
I have not applied this. I grow organically, and I simply did not have any of this kind of fertilizer, but I will see what I can do.

The bulbs I grow got a cool period in fall, a dry period in Winter and another cool period this Spring.

Looking forward to hearing other members success stories!
Best wishes,
Sincerely,
Matt Di Clemente

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming success with Chlidanthus fragrans?

Where did you get these rare bulbs, and do you have any to exchange? I have quite a rare tropical plant collection...Frank :)

o
RE: Blooming success with Chlidanthus fragrans?

Hi Frank,

I got them from Brent & Becky's bulbs. https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/summer/productview/?sku=62-01
You will be able to get them next year. I don't have any to exchange right now though. They never bloomed for me after several seasons, and I lost them in the hurricane last year. Let us know how you succeed with them in your climate.

Best wishes,
Matt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here