Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nicotiana - blooming

Posted by kandhi z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 16:32

I love fragrant plants but I do not buy anything that says fragrant unless I check the fragrance first or hear from someone on the fragrance. But recently I bought this plant from a farmers market for $3 in 4inch pot when they said it is very fragrant nicotiana. Within 2 months it became so big and blooming craziliy. At dusk it perfumes the whole area where the pot it, it is very spicy and strong. I cannot take the fragrance for very long though. Nothing beats the fragrance of jasmines though.. If you have this plant, share your experiences with growing it and it's fragrance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nicotiana - blooming

That's the biggest nic I've every seen, Khandi. I don't think I get a fragrance from nic any more, tho I am trying it again one more time this year.

I used to grow it, many years ago. I absolutely loved it. Never found the fragrance too much, but it was in the ground. As you say, the fragrance starts at dusk, and it wafts all over the yard. The white also shows up beautifuloy at night, too.

It's hardy to light frosts, so you can start it early, and it keeps going to about 24F or so. It also self-seeds if you let it. Be sure to save some seed from it.

o

Mehitabel, It grew so big and is sucking up all nutrients, other companion plants in the container cannot keepup with it. I had to remove other plants from that container. Not sure on the name of this variety but sure it is very fragrant. I will defintiey try to save some seeds from it.

o

Yes, I tried it in pots a few years ago, and it got potbound in no time, needed water twice a day.

Given the size and fragrance of yours, it is probably n alata. If you have room in your yard for some next year. it should do well there, too. It's poisonous, so rabbits and deer don't eat it.

Unfortunately, as I get older, I am losing the ability to pick up some scents. So enjoy yours a little for me, too :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here