Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fazilla_gw

Night Blooming Jasmine

fazilla
10 years ago

Hello!! I have been a silent lurker for a long time and have learnt so much! I love fragrant plants and have had quite a few over the years ... Not many made it.

I managed to find a night blooming jasmine 2 days ago...at least that's what I assume it is since it did not come with any tags. I had one a long time ago and this one looks familiar. The leaves seems to be pale green with yellow veins... I fertilized it with a solution containing iron but the color remains the same.

I ended up getting bone and blood meal for it but when I looked it up, someone mentioned that it killed their jasmine. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (33)

• mrlike2u
    10 years ago

Would agree the fert choice is a bit strong for this plant that aside a re-pot in new soil and roots well rinsed may be something to consider.
    As for soil I'd better to leave that up to the fifty others who have 50 different soil preference when re-potting there's.

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I have just left it in the pot I got it in...was planning on repotting it after a few days, once it has had a chance to get used to the new environment.

So by rinsing the roots, I'm understanding that I would completely remove the previous soil that it's been in, right? So have bare roots and then repot it in new soil?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Hi fazilla and welcome to the forum!
    First I'm assuming your night blooming jasmine is Cestrum nocturnum?
    The yellow leaves might just indicate your plant needs new potting mix like mrlike2u mentioned. Sounds like it needs nitrogen to me.
    Have the leaves gotten any greener yet?
    I had a passion flower with yellowish leaves and it's taking some time to start turning greener so you might just need to wait some.

And yes, some people completely rinse off the old potting mix from the roots before repotting.
    I personally just shake off as much of the old mix as possible and even use my fingers to dig between the roots but I don't rinse them clean.

Once it's been repotted be sure to put it in a spot with filtered light/shade until the plant has recovered enough and then start introducing it to more amounts of sun.

Post pics if you can and good luck! :)

-Robert

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!!
    It is cestrum nocturnum. The leaves look the same but I'll put up a couple of pictures.

Is there a specific soil composition that I need it to be in? I read about the 5 1 1 mix, would that be a better mix?

Thanks so much for all the advise! Previously, I would have just potted them in a potting soil and watered it and have that be it but I would actually like to do things the right away this time and take good care of my babies!

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the first picture of the CN. I'll attach more.

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another picture

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm assuming that this is the Grand Duke? Not sure, bought it from the same place as I bought the CN and again, not labelled.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Cestrum nocturnum is very easy to root from cuttings by the way. ;P

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

musaboru,

YUP! My mom had one a few years ago and would always be giving out cuttings. I got quite a few and eventually ended up with the mother plant as well but neither bloomed, even after a couple of years. Here's hoping that this one will...have never had the chance to smell it in bloom!

My Maid of Orleans is blooming and I'm loving it!

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And my citrus...we are currently dealing with leafminers and unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding anything in Calgary to control it. Nursery told me to remove the infested leaves...

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my Star Jasmine...again, not labelled at the store but Google told me that's what it was.

• northbay12
    10 years ago

Last pic looks like Angelwing jasmine (aka Star jasmine, along with a few other plants), Jasminum nitidum, is that the same one you googled? Good luck getting rid of the CLM...

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I googled Jasminum Nitidum and the picture that showed up was very similar to the one I have...same thing as Angelwing Jasmine?

10 years ago

Your cestrum looks great!
    I hope it blooms for you this year.

I use the 5:1:1 mix on most of my fragrant plants.

And yes, that looks like Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' and your other jasmine does look like Jasminum nitidum like Northbay12 pointed out.
    That's the problem with common names of plants...there can be many! :)

My only word of caution is the pots you are using. Looks like those are the ones with the built in saucer that snaps into the bottom of the pot which is great for placing the pots on tables/floors and not worrying about getting water everywhere however it also prevents the water from freely draining out of the bottom so your perched water level is never removed which can suffocate your roots.
    I have some of those pots and it's very hard to turn the pot on its side over the sink to drain the water and not have some of the potting mix spill out as well.
    Just my opinion though. :)

-Robert

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never thought of it that way! I will remedy that right away as well as change the potting mix.

What do you think about the leaf color of the CN? Also, should the soil for the jasmines I have be on the acidic side? I have an acid loving plant fertilizer lying around the house from my gardenia days ( I gave up) that I was wondering if I could use.

10 years ago

Your cestrum leaves look a little yellow however once you repot and fertilize that should remedy the situation.
    Remember cestrum is not a true jasmine (another problem with common names) however I think your acid fertilizer will be fine for your cestrum and your jasmines.

Now that you have the botanical names it will be easier for you to find out tips on your plants.

Here's a link to cestrum tips that Logee's offers. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's cestrum tips

• fazilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!! Everyone is so welcoming and helpful! I'm sure I'll have more questions. Now off I go to read on my plants!

• whiteowl1970
    9 years ago

i have never heard of this night blooming Jasmine. The person I bought it from said it was Goble night blooming Jasmine. Is any one familiar with this name?

• whiteowl1970
    9 years ago

i have never heard of this night blooming Jasmine. The person I bought it from said it was Goble night blooming Jasmine. Is any one familiar with this name?

• Tahir
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I had bought two healthy jasmine plants in late August 2016. The two I
    had planted a large pot (8 cm diameter) and the plants also grew well. Pots
    already have holes on the bottom for drainage.

A few weeks ago I had fertilized the night jasmin
    with 4 (COMPO flowering plants
    https://www.schneckenprofi.de/shops/schneckenprofi/images/products/800000008950/Compo-Bluehpflanzen-Duengestaebchen-03.jpg
    ) and the Arabian jasmine with 2 sticks.

The two plants are placed in my living room behind
    a south facing glass window and get sunshine on sunny days at noon. The
    humidity in the living room is about 55-65% and the temperature is about 20 °
    C. I plant the plants when the surface of the soil as well as to some CM under
    the surface is dry.

But for a few days the Night jasmin loses the
    leaves. Now almost half of the leaves have fallen down. I tried the plants a
    few days ago on the west side window which gets less sunlight but it did not
    help either. Because the humidity is higher, once watered, the soil remains moist for several days so it gets a bit of fungus on it but it goes away once soil dries a bit.

The night blooming jasmin is constantly losing
    leaves and I fear it would eventually die.

Can anyone please help me and say what can be the
    cause and how can I save the plant?

Some pictures of the plant can be found here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/10997784@N02/?

I live in Munich, Germany.

Thank you so much for any help

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Te1252 was this plant outdoors in summer and growing fine and brought indoors and then dropping leaves? If that's the case you don't have to worry. It's absolutely normal. Once spring arrives it will start making new leaves.

• Tahir
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

No, i bought it new in Late augzust. It was about a feet in length but has grown in 3 months. so i thought it has adjusted to the new enviroment in 3 months and has grown so is doing fine but suddently it started shedding leaves.

Being inside the southern Window it gets noon's direct sunlight. Is this OK ?

The other one (on left side) is Arabian Jasmin which is doing fine in the same enviroment btw.

• Tahir
    7 years ago

I am investigating if These were caused by Spider mights. they invisible in normal looking. but in Foto i saw some Spider net

• Tahir
    7 years ago

It were actually Spider mites. They are very difficult to see as they are normally under the leaves as very small red dots. the leaves curve and then eventually drop.

What else i have got to know from the gardner selling it, that in winter it Needs ideally 12-15 c° and shouldnt be fertalized and left dry as much as possible so that it can having some quite time preparing for the Bloom in spring. the fertilizing should start again in February.

While i dont have a cooler place as outside is on average 0 c° i cant put it in Balcony so it has to stay in the living room, thus in higher tempretures.

The higher temprature in winter (20 c°) also contribute to the pest Problem because the stem and branches are too soft and an ideal meal for the pests.

• Tahir
    6 years ago

Update : this Jadmin died.

Reason : I had fertilized it too much. After the recovery from pesticides I had fertilized it .. again!

I had first fertilized heavily (didnt know that fertilizer sticks 1-2 are enough) in September then in February.

I now have a new Jasmin purchased. hopefully it lives long and gives some blooms.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

So sorry Tahir. These plants don't really need lot of fertilizers. I prefer to just top dress them with slow release granules early in the season in spring and just leave them. You shd never fertilize a plant in winter since they don't grow much. Good luck with this plant!

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You guys are growing the most ATTRACTIVE MITE plants I have ever had or known.. How do you keep them off your plants and do you ever get them?

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

I had mites on a brugmansia but they finally disappeared once the plant got older and more vigorous. I only sprayed them off with water. Maybe neem? I don't use insecticides so I can't recommend any.

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Hey Tom, good to see you) Things have been better around here and I will have more time to take pics now. THANK God the warmer weather is here, I was about to loose my mind. I really get very depressed and almost give up on even growing plants...The lack of sunny days can wear on me and my plants. I hate Neem since it seems to destroy many leaves to many of my plants but I like Horticultural Oil which in non toxic to us at least.

Question about your Maxilleria Coconut one..Do you find that you have to water them frequently or that the leaves will brown up if you don't? I can water mine enough...

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

Good to hear Mike! Makes sense, neem can burn up leaves. I've noticed the leaves on my maxillaria turn brown if they get too much sun. Is yours getting a lot of sun lately? I don't water it too much because it's in pure peat moss and it retains a lot of water. I notice the bulbs shrivel if I don't water enough so that's how I gauge its water needs. But with orchids the more water the better. Some of my orchids seem to need double the water and fertilizer of the others. What medium is your maxillaria planted in? And maybe some leaves just tend to turn brown naturally. Some of my orchids will get ugly spots, probably from sunburn or humidity, on the leaves while others are virtually spotless. Maybe fungicide and less sun and no water resting on the leaves can prevent spotting and browning. I don't really know!

• myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Hey Tom, I'll tell you what..I will take some pics tomorrow and let you see..Mines are growing in pure fine bark and have been thriving but lately some leave turning brown. I don't get much direct hot sun this time of the year because I have the greenhouse still covered with a thick clear pool cover for warmth and it gets some shade. I will show you close up tomorrow. I am thinking maybe normal leaf loss? The entire plants seem to be starting to flower and most leaves look great. The mix does dry down very quickly. Seems every day I have to water dry roots. I guess looking at the bulbs will give me a clue, never thought of that. Thank you.

I'll be back soon and thanks for keeping in touch. I hope that Fazilla does not that we talk about this)

• tom_d1026
    6 years ago

My money is on normal leaf loss. If the bulbs aren't shriveled then it's getting enough water. Maybe you could pot it up after it flowers or add something for moisture retention such as sphagnum or peat. Mine just finished its flowering period and I've made a few divisions of it that I'm probably going to gift to family or neighbors. I'm sure fazilla will be fine but you can private message me on here whenever you like.