Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night Blooming Jasmine

Posted by fazilla none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 17:04

Hello!! I have been a silent lurker for a long time and have learnt so much! I love fragrant plants and have had quite a few over the years ... Not many made it.

I managed to find a night blooming jasmine 2 days ago...at least that's what I assume it is since it did not come with any tags. I had one a long time ago and this one looks familiar. The leaves seems to be pale green with yellow veins... I fertilized it with a solution containing iron but the color remains the same.

I ended up getting bone and blood meal for it but when I looked it up, someone mentioned that it killed their jasmine. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night Blooming Jasmine

Would agree the fert choice is a bit strong for this plant that aside a re-pot in new soil and roots well rinsed may be something to consider.
As for soil I'd better to leave that up to the fifty others who have 50 different soil preference when re-potting there's.

o

Thanks! I have just left it in the pot I got it in...was planning on repotting it after a few days, once it has had a chance to get used to the new environment.

So by rinsing the roots, I'm understanding that I would completely remove the previous soil that it's been in, right? So have bare roots and then repot it in new soil?

o

Hi fazilla and welcome to the forum!
First I'm assuming your night blooming jasmine is Cestrum nocturnum?
The yellow leaves might just indicate your plant needs new potting mix like mrlike2u mentioned. Sounds like it needs nitrogen to me.
Have the leaves gotten any greener yet?
I had a passion flower with yellowish leaves and it's taking some time to start turning greener so you might just need to wait some.

And yes, some people completely rinse off the old potting mix from the roots before repotting.
I personally just shake off as much of the old mix as possible and even use my fingers to dig between the roots but I don't rinse them clean.

Once it's been repotted be sure to put it in a spot with filtered light/shade until the plant has recovered enough and then start introducing it to more amounts of sun.

Post pics if you can and good luck! :)

-Robert

o

Thanks!!
It is cestrum nocturnum. The leaves look the same but I'll put up a couple of pictures.

Is there a specific soil composition that I need it to be in? I read about the 5 1 1 mix, would that be a better mix?

Thanks so much for all the advise! Previously, I would have just potted them in a potting soil and watered it and have that be it but I would actually like to do things the right away this time and take good care of my babies!

o

Here is the first picture of the CN. I'll attach more.

o

And another picture

o

I'm assuming that this is the Grand Duke? Not sure, bought it from the same place as I bought the CN and again, not labelled.

o

Cestrum nocturnum is very easy to root from cuttings by the way. ;P

o

musaboru,

YUP! My mom had one a few years ago and would always be giving out cuttings. I got quite a few and eventually ended up with the mother plant as well but neither bloomed, even after a couple of years. Here's hoping that this one will...have never had the chance to smell it in bloom!

My Maid of Orleans is blooming and I'm loving it!

o

And my citrus...we are currently dealing with leafminers and unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding anything in Calgary to control it. Nursery told me to remove the infested leaves...

o
RE: Night Blooming Jasmine and more!

Here's my Star Jasmine...again, not labelled at the store but Google told me that's what it was.

o

Last pic looks like Angelwing jasmine (aka Star jasmine, along with a few other plants), Jasminum nitidum, is that the same one you googled? Good luck getting rid of the CLM...

o

I googled Jasminum Nitidum and the picture that showed up was very similar to the one I have...same thing as Angelwing Jasmine?

o

Your cestrum looks great!
I hope it blooms for you this year.

I use the 5:1:1 mix on most of my fragrant plants.

And yes, that looks like Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' and your other jasmine does look like Jasminum nitidum like Northbay12 pointed out.
That's the problem with common names of plants...there can be many! :)

My only word of caution is the pots you are using. Looks like those are the ones with the built in saucer that snaps into the bottom of the pot which is great for placing the pots on tables/floors and not worrying about getting water everywhere however it also prevents the water from freely draining out of the bottom so your perched water level is never removed which can suffocate your roots.
I have some of those pots and it's very hard to turn the pot on its side over the sink to drain the water and not have some of the potting mix spill out as well.
Just my opinion though. :)

-Robert

o

Never thought of it that way! I will remedy that right away as well as change the potting mix.

What do you think about the leaf color of the CN? Also, should the soil for the jasmines I have be on the acidic side? I have an acid loving plant fertilizer lying around the house from my gardenia days ( I gave up) that I was wondering if I could use.

o

Your cestrum leaves look a little yellow however once you repot and fertilize that should remedy the situation.
Remember cestrum is not a true jasmine (another problem with common names) however I think your acid fertilizer will be fine for your cestrum and your jasmines.

Now that you have the botanical names it will be easier for you to find out tips on your plants.

Here's a link to cestrum tips that Logee's offers. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's cestrum tips

o

Thanks!! Everyone is so welcoming and helpful! I'm sure I'll have more questions. Now off I go to read on my plants!

o

i have never heard of this night blooming Jasmine. The person I bought it from said it was Goble night blooming Jasmine. Is any one familiar with this name?

o

i have never heard of this night blooming Jasmine. The person I bought it from said it was Goble night blooming Jasmine. Is any one familiar with this name?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here