Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rare Find in the Tampa Area

Posted by blutayle z9aFL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 17:07

Just found this at Lowes up here in New Port Richey. At first, I thought it was a big coffee plant. The leaves are huge and almost succulent. Then I turn it around and it has this huge Gardenia type flower on it. I look at the tag on the pot and it says Tahitian Gardenia. I thought those were single start shaped flowers. This is fully double and very rugged, thick, succulent like. I never ran for a cart so quickly...wanted to snatch up all six....but logic jumped in and rescued the wallet...lol

photo IMAG0176_zpsd3a9a949.jpg

photo IMAG0175_zpsd8c52258.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rare Find in the Tampa Area

Congrats! There is a double hybrid called 'Heaven Scent'. I'm assuming that's what you found? How's the scent?
Your story of running for a basket made me laugh. I'm always thrilled when I actually come across a desirable, fragrant plant when I least expect it. ;)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Heaven Scent' double Tahitian Gardenia

o

Hi Robert,

Yes, upon further investigation this is the new double Tahitian gardenia. I did google new Tahitian gardenia double and got what I was looking for. I am so jaded now and these are the dregs of summer in Florida...very uninspiring and not much of a garden spirit in this heat. But....when u see something you have never seen before...it is like kid in the candy store all over again...here is a post from someone on another site...

Positive malika1 On Dec 6, 2012, malika1 from Toa Baja, PR (Zone 11) wrote:
If you love jasmines and gardenias, and you do not own this plant, get it! I mean, get the double! I think it is even more exciting than the Duke of Tuscany Sambac. Really. The flowers are massive and the leaves are leathery, healthy, and darkish green. Large plants can be expensive, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime plant to own. Mine went for 85 bucks, but is is huge...oh, I live in Puerto Rico and has anyone had luck with clippings?

Also, in the market for trades of rare, scented plant rooted clippings and seeds...

o

Awesome! I grew both the single and double Tahitian gardenia last year from a mail order purchase. They didnt handle the cold here too well and croaked.

One of them produced a single flower but I wasn't sure if it was actually the single or double cultivar since I mixed up the tags. And supposedly even the double can produce single flowers.

The scent of it was like a common gardenia but more pungent, herbal/spicy. I prefer the common gardenia over it though.

I love the leaves though, they're so attractive. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here