Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rixblonde

pink jasmine not blooming

rixblonde
17 years ago

I bought a pink jasmine about 3 months ago and planted it ina windowbox by itself. It seems to be growing wonderfully I have beautifull foilage but ,I really want it to bloom. It has buds all over it but there not opening they have been there forever and sometimes they will turn brown like there drying out . Someone please help what am I doing wrong?

Comments (13)

• jimshy
    17 years ago

If you have buds blasting, I wonder if:

it's getting too much sun and not enough water,
    it doesn't have enough room for its roots, or
    it's drying out from hot, dry winds and sun.

Where are you, and where is the windowbox? Full sun? How big is the box?

The good news is that it sounds like you're growing it well, you just need to tweak conditions a bit to get those buds to open up!

Jim

• rixblonde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well the box seems to be 1ft4in x 8in gets about 4 hours of morning sun water every other day. How do I know if it has enough room for it's roots? Yes, the winds are a possibility but it has been really humid . Thank you for you response. Christina San antonio,TX

• jimshy
    17 years ago

It may also be that the buds formed while the plant was still adjusting to its new home, and the vine didn't have enough energy to flower them.

If it's jasminum x stephanese, its main blooming season is spring, so you may have to wait until next year to get a whole bunch of blooms.

The windowbox doesn't sound like a lot of room for a fast growing vine -- you may want to check it in another month or two and see if the roots are wrapping around the inside walls of the windowbox -- if so, it's time to find a bigger planter. It should be hardy in your area, though!

Jim

• rixblonde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went ahead and transplanted my jasmine just as you suggested , seems to be doing just fine.The tag says that it's a jasminun polyanthum do you know when they typically start blooming ? And when do you think I should start feeding and how often? But thank you so much for you advise my highly anticipated plant seems to be loving it's new home I have lot's of new growth in just a couple of days. thanks, christina

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Jasminum polyanthum blooms in early spring/late winter

• rixblonde
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Looks like I'm going to have to wait a while

• ayubars
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I have a jasminum x stephanese. I have planted this in a container with compost and mulched it with bark chippings. Do you know if Compost on it's own is ideal for this plant? Or should i mix some Top Soil? Perhaps I can even mix 20% of perlite?
    thank you

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Compost by itself is rarely a good idea because it's too compacted, and doesn't have enough air inside to allow roots to breath -- that's why you have to turn it over, to get more air into the mix.

I would start by placing a layer of gravel, styrofoam packing peanuts or coarse bark chips in the bottom of an empty pot -- jasmines need good drainange at the roots. Then add your mix of compost, top soil, and your 20% perlite, and you'll have a happy jasmine!

Jim

• cali_4j
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    Does anyone know how to take care of pink jasmine if you want to cut it and put it in a vase? What about if you want to force it to bloom after being cut? I want to put it into a vase and give it to someone. Thank you for your help.

Chris

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Cali,

I don't think pink jasmine is a good candidate for forcing -- they have so many little blooms to a stem that I doubt the cut stem would be able to support them all coming into bloom.

For the same reason, they may not last long as cut flowers, but the usual advice of a sharp cut, a crushed aspirin in the water and keeping them on the cold side would seem to apply.

Hope it works!

Jim

• kellyville
    14 years ago

i bought a very healthy foliage one 2 1/2 wks ago and since its been in the ground it has sprouted new vine growth. however there are ZERO buds on it. here it says its a spring bloomer, shouldnt i have buds? is it not going to bloom at all this year?

• kimgallette_sbcglobal_com
    12 years ago

I have planted my pink jasmine about four months ago. It has been doing great. But the last week its been looking sad and limp. It doesn't have any bolloms.but stil very green.
    I recently added amend to my soil because it was very clay like. I did that about 2 weeks ago. That's the only thing different. I stuck my finger in soil its not wet but not dry just slightly damp.
    Not sure whats wrong! ?? Do I need to water more or give it coffee grounds???

• kimgallette_sbcglobal_com
    12 years ago

I have planted my pink jasmine about four months ago. It has been doing great. But the last week its been looking sad and limp. It doesn't have any bolloms.but stil very green.
    I recently added amend to my soil because it was very clay like. I did that about 2 weeks ago. That's the only thing different. I stuck my finger in soil its not wet but not dry just slightly damp.
    Not sure whats wrong! ?? Do I need to water more or give it coffee grounds???