Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

South African Jasmine

I just got a whiff of the South African jasmine, or Jasminum angulare, and wanted to bring this species up. The fragrance is unique and deserves some attention.

It looks a lot like Jasminim officinale, but the scent is very, very different. It has no indolic note to it at all, I guess you can describe it as an "aquatic" type scent. Imagine the scent difference between an Easter lily and an oriental lily; The contrast between J. officinale and J. angulare is analogous to that. In fact it reminded me of the smell of Easter lilies. So if you are into non-indolic scent then this is a jasmine to get.

Edit: Added picture.

This post was edited by musaboru on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 23:04

Comments (13)

• princesspea
    9 years ago

I have this on my porch trellis, having heard of it here first. It is a beautiful vine, tough and wind-and-heat resistant, with shiny dark green leaves. It has been blooming since march in my garden. It has a great fresh smell, so different from other jasmines, and looks far less ratty than my other vining jasmines do this time of year. It is worth hunting down.
    Pea

Pea

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    7 years ago

8-hydro... I can't wait to hear your word. I want to see if my concept of indoles is correct or not. I always assumed it's similar to the smell of a dirty urinal scent in some flowers. (sorry to be graphic!). I smell this in stargazers and French jasmine and other temperate jasmines which has put me off from those flowers. But this one has a "clean" scent that is refreshing. Again it is a lot like Easter lilies to me.

• 8-hydroxyquinoline
    7 years ago

Okay, I'll definitely post an update :-)

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

I can vouch for your indoles concept Dar! Angulare indeed has a fresh and cleaner scent compared to other jasmines. I like even nitidum for its clean scent too. And both of them are such beautiful plants.

Dar Sunset Zone 18 thanked jasminegal
  • myermike_1micha
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well, thanks to the many enablers here, I just bought one for myself..lol

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Lol Mike.. This forum is very addictive for all of us :) I am just controlling myself to jump and buy Brugs after seeing the pics and description of its scent! But once spring comes they are in my list. You will love the angulare jasmine. The plant is so delicate looking and the flowers are so pretty. Out of all the south african varieties I have grown (j.multipartitum, j.tortuosum) this one has the most beautiful flowers. Almost reminds me of the Indian cork tree flower.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Jasminegal, if you knew how to root Brugs, I would send a bunch of cuttings your way since I have to cut them back anyways!

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Thanks Mike.. that would be really great. Do you want me to send a self addressed envelope? Can cuttings be sent that way? If you don't have it yet I can give you some j.molle cuttings or clerodendrum philippinum cuttings.

• 8-hydroxyquinoline
    7 years ago

Only 2 flowers :( Dar, You're right. This Jasmine has no indolic note at all. In fact its smell reminds me green, clean scent of linden blossom. I'm glad I bought it and can't wait for more profuse flowering.

Dar Sunset Zone 18 thanked 8-hydroxyquinoline
  • Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    7 years ago

Y'all enablers are killing us with all the positive scent descriptions for this jasmine.

How are we supposed to resist buying one? :)

• jasminegal
    7 years ago

Robert can't believe that you don't have this jasmine yet! It is a must in your plant collection... *wink*

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

I got mine yesterday!! It's already about to flower and what I love most is that you don't have to expose it to cold for flower production...It's a warm loving plant!