Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kemistry_gw

what's blooming, budding, growing, sprouting.. in June?

kemistry
10 years ago

Happy June everyone!
Just thought I start a June thread that includes anything and everything that you would want to share. So what are your latest purchases, or blooms.. :D

Comments (150)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ordphien,

Your plants are gorgeous! I agree with Kemistry that your white wine perfume plant looks to be a nemesia.

Plants I recommend for fragrance:

Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' (it has yellow blooms so you might have it and just don't know it). :)
    Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India' or 'Mysore Mulli'
    Brunfelsia gigantea or B. jamaicensis
    Aglaia odorata
    Telosma cordata
    Polianthes tuberosa (Single Mexican Tuberose)
    Plumeria (lots of different cultivars!)

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in. :)

-Robert

• ordphien
    10 years ago

kemistry - nemesia huh? I'll have to remember. I truly love it's fragrance.

robert1971 - Thank you! This is the gardens second year... and my third year gardening lol. I hope one day it's beautiful...
    I have lots to learn.
    Googling all those varieties! I have three jasmine sambac. One was labeled jasmine sambac, the other didn't have a label beyond " Arabian jasmine", and a grand duke. Im gonna keep my eye out for the others.
    Plumeria!
    I just received around 15 cuttings to root from neighbors. I have no ideawhat they are but.... they were free..
    What do they like to be planted in?
    The only cutting that's rooted is in composted horse manure. Which I have a feeling isn't the right media for long term.

And the single tuberose. I have been searching really hard locally for the single variety. I can only find the double.
    I heard the single is more apt to bloom, with better stronger fragrance.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Speaking of tuberose. Mine finally popped up.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I believe this is called clerodendrum ugandense... Maybe....

Still new to all this lol.

I have a very sensitive nose so whether or not you pick up on the fragrance is debatable. But I detect a distinct sweet baby powder smell from it.
    Plus it llooks like clusters of blue butterflies. Which is great in my book

• ordphien
    10 years ago

A bud on one of my Arabian jasmine.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

dianthus... sweet and spicy.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I knew fennel was fragrant. I bought it for cooking.
    But It's really fragrant today. I passed by it to get to my roses and was hit with a powerful wave of licorice, anise, and rootbeer. From 3 yards away!
    This is bronze fennel I believe.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Unknown rose. Very strong sweet fragrance. Literally just sweet. Pairs well with gardenia fragrance.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I buy this every year. And I always forget to look at the tag.
    Bloom machine, delightful foliage, smells like skunk lol.

But only on hot days, and only within a few feet of it.
    But skunk smell is still fragrant right?

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Another no id rose. Strong rose fragrance.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

duranta?
    Weeping clusters of small purple flowers. Smells of vanilla.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Green romantica rose.
    Smells strongly of tea. I was surprised. I honestly didn't expect any fragrance let alone a strong one.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I just went to repot my grand duke. And saw these...
    is it growing? should I leave it alone and sees what it does?

• ordphien
    10 years ago

it has three total...

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Maybe transplant shock?

This post was edited by Ordphien on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 17:30

• ordphien
    10 years ago

And finally... my garden helpers favorite fragrant plant...
    catnip!

Which honestly... I actually like the smell of.

• fenius
    10 years ago

so cute!! this thread is great!

• roseyd
    10 years ago

he looks like the Cheshire Cat! :) even the grin is there!

• Mrs.FlowerJunkie
    10 years ago

Love this thread! Learned a lot. That cat looks like a cousin to my 2 twin boy furry purries. So pretty!!

• User
    10 years ago

Ordphien,
    I am over here drooling looking at the gorgeous pics of your roses. They are absolutely gorgeous!
    Have you noticed how many roses don't have much of a fragrance anymore? I think they are hybridizing fragrance out of the roses now. Anyway, your pics are wonderful!
    Thank you everyone for posting such wonderful pics of all your bloomers this month so far.
    I love looking at all your pics.
    Robert, 17 plumerias? Are you serious? Wow you have the plumeria bug, LOL!
    Rosey, thank goodness for good cell phone cameras, using the regular digital cameras is a PITA compared to cell phone pics.
    I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance, my Grand Duke is blooming like mad and the smell is intoxicating.
    Ordphien, Your grand duke is growing. It's fine, I would repot it after it blooms if you want to.

10 years ago

Second 'Rhonda' plumeria bloom is much more pinkish red than the one that opened in the greenhouse. Love it. Its scent changes from peach to coconut candy. :)

Ordphien,
    I grow most of my plumies in the gritty mix or the 5:1:1 mix.

Butterfly,

Yup. There's no hope for me! Laugh.

-Robert

• ordphien
    10 years ago

roseyd - haha... I hadn't noticed that but your right!

Mrs.FlowerJunkie - So have I! I mainly learned that I don't have enough fragrant plants lol.
    It's my favorite.... err... type of cat? I always fall for cats that look like that.

butterfly4u - Thank you! I'm starting to love my roses... most of them. Some them really need to be shovel pruned.
    like that climbing rose that never blooms, just attracts powdery mildew, and black spot, and aphids... and everything else that could go wrong with a rose.
    Thank goodness for my cellphone camera! I'm slowly getting better with it.

I'm... not sure? I'm only 21 so I can't really vouch for any old roses. Plus I live in the land of hybrid teas, old roses are hard to find.
    My neighbor does have a few. They are wonderfully fragrant, but only more fragrant than half of my HT. The other half of my roses are just as strong. I also noticed fragrance is playing an prominent role in alot of the newer roses coming out.
    But I suppose your right, a lot seem to focus more on form and colour than fragrance.
    Whew! I'll just leave the grand duke in its pot then. I hope I get some blooms!
    I didn't want to repot it... so I'm relieved I don't have to. It's in a large ( very large) pot that I want it to remain on for years to come.
    Over they past few years I've been increasing the size of the pots in putting things in drastically. Turns out over potting isn't a concern in my area lol.

Robert1971 - perfect! I can do that! Can't wait to see the blooms.... one day...
    how long from rooted cutting to flower?

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Mrs.FlowerJunkie - So have I! I mainly learned that I don't have enough fragrant plants lol.
    It's my favorite.... err... type of cat? I always fall for cats that look like that.

butterfly4u - Thank you! I'm starting to love my roses... most of them. Some them really need to be shovel pruned.
    like that climbing rose that never blooms, just attracts powdery mildew, and black spot, and aphids... and everything else that could go wrong with a rose.

I'm... not sure? I'm only 21 so I can't really vouch for any old roses. Plus I live in the land of hybrid teas, old roses are hard to find.
    My neighbor does have a few. They are wonderfully fragrant, but only more fragrant than half of my HT. The other half of my roses are just as strong. I also noticed fragrance is playing an prominent role in alot of the newer roses coming out.
    But I suppose your right, a lot seem to focus more on form and colour than fragrance.
    I didn't want to repot it... so I'm relieved I don't have to. It's in a large ( very large) pot that I want it to remain on for years to come.
    Over they past few years I've been increasing the size of the pots in putting things in drastically. Turns out over potting isn't a concern in my area lol.

Robert1971 - perfect! I can do that! Can't wait to see the blooms.... one day...

• ordphien
    10 years ago

• fenius
    10 years ago

It just popped open!!first michelia x alba bloom ever! this is so exciting!!

(..btw I'm craving for melon ice cream all of a sudden!)

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nice! okay so what do you think of its scent?? : )

10 years ago

Melon ice cream, eh? Not so sure I'm going to dig that scent but maybe one day I'll find out for myself!
    Congratulations!
    Now you're part of the elite group who have sniffed this bloom. Laugh.

Ordphien,

Have no idea. All mine have been rooted cuttings and I'm still waiting on the majority of them to bloom! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

I think I looooove it!! At the moment I have it together with lonicera, j.sambac arabian nights all blooming in one balcony and it is as strong as them! I don't know where to turn, I want to sleep outside in a hammock!

• ordphien
    10 years ago

lol... that posted three times!

It smells like melon icecream? I love melon ice cream. I need one.

The flower is beautiful too...

rober t1971 - I guess only time will tell for me! My neighbor told me one of them is red and smells like cinnamon. can't wait!

fenius - Open all the windows!

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Finally!! i can log back in :) had to reboot my p.c and new spyware was blocking this website :( so could not reply or see any of your beautiful photos :(

kemistry different how? and mine was ordered from ebay so it could of been miss labeled i suppose it smells wonderful what ever it is :)

Robert going on your description think i will have to have a look for 'Mysore Mulli' :) hopefully some one will have it on ebay

Ordphien i agree with both it is deff a nemesia it will be one of the Fragrant Lady Series most likely Sweet Lady

fenius congrats on your Michelia alba bloom still one of my all time favourite fragrances :)

by the way does any one grow there Michelia figos in pot just out of all my Michelias my figo,s are the only ones that do not seem to be thriving i have tried plastic and clay pots free draining compost acid compost different feeds foliage sprays even that banana peel and the only one i would say looks kind of happy is a gafted one from taiwan

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

my one flower stem on Syringa Miss Kim Highly Fragrant Dwarf
    still a very small and the flowers are going over now to be honest

some how i have a rose in my garden ;) no idea of name very nice scent tho

Philadelphus coronarius Aureus citrus like scent

big Fragrant cattleya BLC Helen Brown Napoleon

Epidendrum fragrans

and odontocidium wildcat

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My belle has elongated petals, not rounded like yours

10 years ago

First Brunfelsia gigantea flower of the season finally opened last night!
    Dang it made me wait forever this year. Laugh.
    Love its scent.

-Robert

10 years ago

Fragrant,

So glad you're back! Looks like you've got plenty to sniff! Love all the orchids. :)

'Satisfaction' Orienpet Lily opened today. It has a rosewood citrus like scent. Love it though it's not as strongly scented as my 'Silk Road' and 'Casa Blanca' lilies which should also be opening soon.
    The Gorgeous color of 'Satisfaction' makes up for the fact that you have to stick your nose into the bloom to appreciate its scent.

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

thank you Robert its good to be back i missed logging on each day to see who had what blooming and to see if there was any exciting specimens i might be able to squeeze in somewhere :)
    love your Lily :) i do have a white one but its not in flower at the momment and you have to be careful when you have cats as only a very small amount needs to be eaten to cause devastating effects

kemistry maybe you are right looking online mine does looks a bit more like maid of orleans what do you think?

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

ahhh just checked my other jasmine and that is maid of Orleans great i could have 2 of the same plant on the up side looks like all my chicken feet cutting have taken :)

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah it does look a bit like Maid of Orleans. You can also tell the difference between MOO and Belle by how long each flower lasts on the plant. Moo's flowers drop the next day while Belle's flowers usually stay on for 2 days.

Today is humid here so its scent is even more intense. I love it. : )

This post was edited by kemistry on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 18:16

• fenius
    10 years ago

hey, can't keep up with u guys any more!! Today I 've been cursing all plants - sweating over water sprinklers ecc in the sun...wanted to give half of them away, hope I recover tomorrow!
    Welcome back fragrant, nice epidendrum fragrans,( noted for wish list!! )
    Speaking of sambacs, mysore mulli made me the biggest flower today!

• roseyd
    10 years ago

This was supposed to become a tall 4 foot by 4 foot bush - and it never did ... it's only about a foot tall and this is the second summer in the ground. But, I love the look ot the roses... Not so much fragrance, but I was happy to see she's finally giving some seasonal happy colors!

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

thank you fenius and beautiful rose once again roseyd your garden must be rose heaven :)

10 years ago

'Silk Road' lily opened today! Lots of buds on it so hopefully it will bloom for a couple of weeks. :)
    Both lilies are wafting and making the backyard smell great!

Also received Brunfelsia jamaicensis, Jasminum grandiflorum 'Flora Plena' and Jasminum tortuosum today.
    Yes. The sickness continues. Laugh

I'm sure come August I'll be in fenius' boat and be tired of watering them and want to get rid of them all. ;)

-Robert

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Oh my! Silk road is beautiful. None of the lilies I planted are doing well... so sad.

I got a lotus! A few years ago I bought a large pot with the intent of putting a dwarf lotus in it. I couldn't find a dwarf lotus until now, but find it I did.
    I can't wait for the blooms and fragrance!

• ordphien
    10 years ago

it supposedly has pink blooms

10 years ago

Awesome! Let us know your thoughts on your lotus' scent when it blooms. :)

'Satisfaction' lily is smelling great and wafting now. It's quite the treat to come home to!

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

I envy your lilies being open. Mine are still at half size - I'm expecting them to be beautiful come August... but there's a wait still.

I almost had my jasmine MOO in bloom. I was excited to see the bud - it was getting bigger each day. And yesterday morning - it was on the cusp of opening. I arrived home last night and it was gone. Is this to be expected for putting it outside? did the wind knock it off? or did a neighbor pluck it? So, the one budd is gone - and the plant is all leaves again. I was expecting more flowers with it being outside - and after 3 weeks out there - that it's only filling out with greenery and one measly bud? Where's the rest of them?

I'm more than a little disappointed.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

" Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 17:00

I buy this every year. And I always forget to look at the tag.
    Bloom machine, delightful foliage, smells like skunk lol.

But only on hot days, and only within a few feet of it.
    But skunk smell is still fragrant right?"

Cleome hassleriana. I love the way it smells, one of those polarizing scents, like Lantana.

10 years ago

Rosey,

Sorry you only had one bud and now it's gone and you didn't even get to sniff it. :(

Did you cut your jasmine back before placing it outside or did you just put it outside the same size it was when it was growing indoors?

I've found that I get a great deal more blooms when I cut my sambac jasmines back. Makes the plants much more bushier and I get way more buds that way.

Of course I hope you're remembering to fertilize and let the potting mix dry a bit between waterings. :)

-Robert

• roseyd
    10 years ago

I should get a skunk flower and put that on my porch... at least no one would pick that flower. :)

I had translplanted the plant down to a smaller pot because half of it hadn't done well over the winter. and yes, I had given it a significant trim. And, yes, I'm fertilizing. and... it's on the porch and I probably am watering it to much - but it's been so hot! ... and I'm afraid the the poor thing will wilt if I don't take extra care. Yes, I'm probably overwatering it, instead.

10 years ago

Get a moisture meter, baby!
    Couldn't live without mine.
    Almost watered my Mysore Mulli this morning but instead decided to use the probe and saw it was moist/wet so I did not water even though I'm like you and think 'it's gonna be super hot today...better water!'.

Jasmines hate wet feet! :)

-Robert

10 years ago

Checked my Mysore Mulli jasmine again at lunch with the moisture meter and it still read wet.
    So glad I didn't water it this morning!
    Would hate to lose this awesome smelling baby! :)

-Robert