Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

o
what's blooming, budding, growing, sprouting.. in June?

Posted by kemistry 8 - Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 17:21

Happy June everyone!
Just thought I start a June thread that includes anything and everything that you would want to share. So what are your latest purchases, or blooms.. :D

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's blooming, budding, growing, sprouting.. in June?

Jasmine nitidum is blooming a little, I just moved it from a pot to the ground, so it's in an adjustment period.

Butterfly bushes (Buddleia davidii) are going like crazy, although I don't really like the scent. Don't dislike, just don't sniff on purpose.

Roses! Lantana!

Stargazer lilies have visible buds.

Not cultivating it but Lonicera japonica smells good at this time.

Unfortunately privet is blooming, that crud stinks, but stink is a fragrance I guess.

Gardenias! Shrub is covered. Took this pic a couple days ago, more open flowers now.

o

Purple I stopped by a nursery today to sniff their jpnese honeysuckle because of your post. Lol. Everything smells great right now in this warm weather.

I want to show off this dwarf ylang plant that I have because im so happy that I didnt kill it! It was about to die last winter ..branches dying back to only a stick but now the leaves are growing out :)

o

My chickenfeet is smelling great too. Strong wafting scent on warm sunny days.

This post was edited by kemistry on Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 21:07

o

My garden is way behind this year.
I'm not sure why.
but...
I've got a few to share.
first is my pink jasmine. Smells divine and hasn't stopped blooming.

o

My veitchii gardenia is blooming its heart out. Grown three feet in a year.

o

close-up

o

August beauty is just starting to open.
She won't stop till winter now.

o

Dauben water lily is now strong smelling enough to smell from a yard away.
And it smells divine.

o

White gem gardenia is starting up.. smells much more fruity and creamy than some other varieties.

o

The bush.

o

in bud.
Grand duke jasmine, all my other Arabian jasmines.
All my other jasmines in general.

gardenias... kleins hardy, mystery, aimee, frostproof, golden magic, radicans, chuck hardy, diamond daisy ( this one's new).

o

Yay for pics!

Ordphien,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with 'Dauben' water lily! Of course now I really want a larger container for it. Laugh.

Love all the gardenias blooming.
I sniffed my Gardenia ‘Veitchii’ this morning and I could have sworn I smelled coconut but maybe because of all the coconut talk we've been having? Laugh.

-Robert

o

My Lonicera periclymenum ‘Serotina’ finally bloomed! Bought it last year. It smells awesome though it's hard to get to growing on the fence and all. :)

-Robert

o

Finally paid some attention to my Hoya australis (picked up the plant) and noticed a blooming penducle!
It smells sorta like chocolate. Not really keen on the scent.

-Robert

o

The hoya's scent sorta of reminds of Heliopsis helianthoides (False Sunflower) blooming right now. It reminds me of the Tallgrass prairie.

-Robert

o

And I finally got my first Sambac Jasmine bloom of the year!
So missed this scent. Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli'.
Guess I don't need to buy those blooming Grand Dukes I've been lusting after at a local nursery after all. Laugh.

-Robert

o

And finally my Plumeria ‘Dwarf Deciduous White’ blooms for about a day and then the blooms drop due to the damn thrips!
I keep spraying but they keep dropping. Ugh.
My partner was really impressed with the scent (he's not at all impressed with my plumie obsession).
So for any wanting to try their first plumie I suggest Dwarf Deciduous White or the classic Celadine. :)

-Robert

o

Ordphien. They all look great. My newly purchased August beauty is putting out some buds, I cannot wait to see the flowers.
How big is the flower of golden magic?

Funny how you almost miss that hoya bloom Robert. :) gardenia does smell creamy or coconutty.

Here is a shot of my magnolia coco.

o

Gaah. Now I need to find the space for a mysore mulli. Lol. I was at a nursery yesterday and really wanted to bring home a gertrude jekyll rose. It was so fragrant. :) so much temptation. Lol.

o

After several inches of rain yesterday, there are buds on some of the 4'o'clocks.

o

WOW Nice flower guys!

Kem, did you think GJ is more fragrant than others? The English Roses I have so far are Abe Darby, Ben Britten, and still yet to bloom is Tamora. I am anxious to add Sharifa Asma but not that you mention GJ, I'll consider her too.

o

one of the last pictures taken with my now retired cell-phone. Isn't she a beauty? :)

o

My Belle of India jasmine bloomed today! Love its sweet high note scent. Got to compare it to Mysore Mulli and at first I liked Belle better but my partner liked Mysore so I started leaning that way but who am I kidding? I want tons of sambac jasmines! Laugh.

Trachelospermum asiaticum just starting to open up. Not that impressed with its scent.

Still waiting on neofinetia falcata to bloom and noticed an extremely tiny flower bud on my Passiflora serratifolia. Woo hoo! Hope I like its scent.
Have some tiny flower buds on my Grand Duke jasmine but have noticed that the damn birds have been landing on the young branches and snapping them off at the base. Darn birds!

Purple,

Congrats on your flower buds! I always stick my nose in four-o-clocks whenever I walk past some.

Musaboru,

I suggest 'Jude the Obscure' for a perfumey grapefruit scent!

Rosey,

Beautiful peony! How does it smell?

-Robert

o

Robert :) I was testing to see if anyone could name the flower. :) BRAVO! :)

It doesn't have a strong scent, but if you put your nose up in it, it's delicate, nice.

Here's another one from my friend's garden. But this time, I don't know what it is. - but I love it. :)

o

Your mystery plant is a lupine.
Now quit teasing us and post some fragrant rose pics, Rosey! Laugh.

-Robert

o

Well, if today's rain didn't destroy the flowers, my roses are actually in bloom as of this weekend. I'll have to take some pictures of those. :)

But these purple irises smell nice. :)

o

Musaboru, Gertrude Jekyll had a very intense scent when I sniffed it. I loved it! But it was probably a good day to sniff the roses. Even the mini teeny bopper which was labeled as light/mild had a good strong old rose scent. Maybe I should go back and grab a GJ now. I just need to figure out where to put it in my jungle. Lol.

You know Robert.. Trachelospermum asiaticum smells delicious when the weather gets hot.

I always try to sniff the Peony flowers whenever I see them but the ones I sniffed so far didn't have a good scent. I hope to run into a good one someday. : )

o

and this smelled nice, too. :)

o

Rosey,

Gorgeous iris photo! Love it. Looks like an O'Keeffe painting!
And stop making us hungry! ;)

Kem,

Okay...okay. I'll wait until the temps rise and sniff it again. Laugh.

-Robert

o

I'm always in awe at how good cell phone pictures are, these days. And, I just upgraded my phone, so I should get even better pictures. 13 MP in a cell phone - how crazy is that! :)

It's almost un-necessary to bring out my DSLR anymore, unless I want to do low-light, or macro photography.

yes, who but O'keefe would ever take a simple picture and make it look sensual. But the ability to do that, comes with seeing images up close.

o

Kem was right (as usual). It did smell better when I got home and it had warmed up. :)

-Robert

o

and, here's just one of about 10 roses that I came home to last night. :) and, it's scented. - a lovely, soft rose scent.

o

and then there's this one "Our li'l secret" - mini rose. the bush is starting off strong - about a foot high with 4 blooms and more coming.

o

10 roses! That's a lovely treat to come home to after a day at work. :)
Think I might try to squeeze a Zephirine Drouhin climbing rose somewhere in the yard. People keep talking about its scent and I like the fact it's nearly thornless, repeat bloomer and good disease resistance.
I mean...what more can you ask for!

-Robert

o

Love that yellow rose with tons of petals! A rose can have one of 3 virtues, scent, repeat blooming, especially beautiful flowers. Any that have 2 or more are the stars of the group, IMO!

Petunias and heliotrope smell wonderful!

o

Never seen this many blooms at once on this Gardenia before. I recently put a little compost pile at the base, including several banana peels, under the leaf cover. Two days ago we had the first good rain in a month. This is definitely wafting!

o

Ugh! I've got to get off my toosh and start my petunia seeds! Laugh.

Purple,

Wow! That gardenia bush is huge! I bet your yard smells amazing!

-Robert

o

Love all these blooms! I will have to post some of mine once it stops raining here. From the looks of it, that will be in about a month. Lol.

Stephanie

o

Ok, I am super happy!

My sacred lotus seeds sprouted!!! So excited. This is one of my favorite plants because of the symbolism... "...while growing from mud, it is unstained."

Onc. 'Twinkle' has a spike! I am excited about this, because I thought I was doing everything wrong. It was in full bloom when I got it and I fell in love with the delicate little blooms with their sweet, vanilla/coconut scent. I'm happy that I have a chance to enjoy them again.

'Celadine' is blooming, but it has been raining nonstop for a couple weeks (thanks, Florida rainy season!) so I haven't been able to enjoy them. The rain washes away the glorious scent! The blooms keep falling off after only a day, so I think I might have the same problem you're having, Robert.

And now, for a couple projects I've been working on:

I designed this plant shelf for my lanai, and I am very proud of how it turned out! Now if only it will stop raining, so I can waterproof it...

Spurred by my failure with Kem's chloranthus cuttings, I made this little propagation "machine" out of two sterilite shoeboxes, based on a design I found somewhere on the Internet. There is an air pump and bubble stone in the bottom, and the lid has holes drilled into it for the cuttings. Foam rollers hold the cuttings in place :). No roots yet, but the leaves still look great after almost a week in there.

I don't know if any of you guys use smart pots, but I love them. I did calculations, and discovered that if I made them myself, they would be much cheaper! So I made these :). Plus, I wanted a lighter color material so the roots would be cooler.

o

Wow, Stephanie! You've been busy! :)
Your water lotus babies look super cute. Congrats!
And your plant shelves look awesome and super handy!
Love your homemade propagation chamber and smart pots. Is there nothing you can't do? ;)

Sorry to hear about your Celadine plumie in all the rain. I lost 3 flowers today on my Dwarf Deciduous white due to the rain we've been having but what are you going to do?

Here's what I did...picked an opened Magnolia grandiflora bloom last night from the parking lot of a local business while walking the dog and placed it in a bowl of water. My partner of little faith thought it wouldn't open but I got to sniff it on my lunch break and no doubt will sniff it again when I get home. :)

I should be getting my 'Gardenia' plumie today or tomorrow and my Neofinetia falcata 'Shutenno' orchid should arrive tomorrow. Woo hoo!

-Robert

o

Thanks, Robert :). I have a ton of time on my hands right now, so no, there's really nothing I can't at least try to do! I love coming up with ways to save money and keep myself busy. I guess I picked the right hobby -- there's always something that needs to be repotted!

o

I love this thread! Not only blooms but plant projects, too! I wish I find some time to post pics soon ..

o

I've been bringing some of my plants outside onto the porch to see if the outdoor sun will improve their state of legginess. My MOO Jasmine has been outside for a week and is starting to show a little bit of growth. And this morning, I brought out the Randia - with the hope that it'll become bushier and maybe bud? I'm glad the summer is here, and there's no more bouts of evening chill to worry over.

o

My Neofinetia falcata 'Shutenno' orchid came today! Can't really tell from the pic my partner sent but it's supposed to have bloom spikes. I'm crossing my fingers and will inspect it when I get home tonight.
Still thrilled at how large of a specimen it is! :)

-Robert

o

Awesome pictures, everyone.

Stephanie where did you buy the lotus seeds? Those sprouts are so cute. : )

Belle smells so intense on sunny days : )

My brunfelsia jamaicensis smells great too. I think it doesn't like too much sun because many leaves get yellowed

While this brunfelsia gigantea doesn't smell as good as the jamaicensis (my opinion) but it's such an easy plant and the scent is so nice still.

o

kemistry,

Which brunfelsia fragrance you like? Can you tell the difference in fragrance between B. jamaicensis and B. gigante. Which one blooms better? tBoth of your plants look quite healthy.

o

omg so many wonderful plants been hard to keep up! and of course love the gardenias just wish they could grow easier here in the uk :(

kemistry is that magnolia coco the one where the flowers only last 1 night?

Rosey beautiful photo of the irises what phone has the 13mp camera?

here is a few of my flowers for june and some new plants :)

Vanda denisoniana wonderful evening fragrance

photo IMAG0189_zpscc7e1adf.jpg

bonsai Hawthorn

photo IMAG0127_zpsbf031ed7.jpg

photo IMAG0128_zps754f896a.jpg

lilac
 photo IMAG0129_zps5f936f25.jpg

photo IMAG0130_zpsebefd24e.jpg

and another

photo IMAG0198_zps0bee0f7b.jpg

my 1st ever Jasmine Bella of India flower :)

photo IMAG0135_zps15fe81f5.jpg

one of my seedlings of psoralea pinnata has come up :D

photo IMAG0185_zps3b488ece.jpg

one of my plumerias i have never grown these before but after reading all the comments and photos i had to give them ago

photo IMAG0186_zps3d5efb97.jpg

my new Bursera Fagaroides

photo IMAG0190_zps31ae0d43.jpg

epiphyllum oxypetalum coming into bud 1st time this year

photo IMAG0191_zpsf13baca1.jpg

my Zenobia Pulveraulent ansideed kind of fragrance

photo IMAG0194_zps69c30e3a.jpg

has nice blueish leaves as well
 photo IMAG0195_zps7e7b4dec.jpg

my new Magnolia Nitida love the new red leaves it is suppose to be sweetly fragrant

photo IMAG0201_zps842cb5d2.jpg

i believe this is azalea soir de paris but not 100% it has a very nice fragrance

photo IMAG0200_zpsb21e1528.jpg

michelia maudiae has buds again i thought i had lost this plant last year

photo IMAG0199_zps04c6a852.jpg

here are my tuberose the pearl hope they flower this year

photo IMAG0203_zps4e145613.jpg

one of my azalea bonsia

photo IMAG0187_zps263298cd.jpg

and finally one of my fav fragrant plants Highly Scented Nemesia Vanilla Lady has the most delicious perfume to me kind of smells like marsh mellows

photo IMAG0202_zpsff458ce6.jpg

photo 155005_1_zps7afd6451.jpg

This post was edited by fragrant2008 on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 15:19

o

Kemistry, I got the lotus seeds off amazon. They were pretty cheap-- apparently lotus seeds can stay viable for over a century because of their outer shell, waiting for the perfect conditions. They are neat plants :)

o

I am just in awe looking at all of the beautiful pics..

Robert... Gorgeous!!!

Rosey.. I am so impressed at the beauty of your pics.. Truly amazing!!!

Kem.. I have roots on my Chicken feet!! Whoooo. Hoooo!

Hopefully, I'll have something to show soon.. Love all of the pics!!

LOVE the plant stand.. Strong work!!! Wish I could build something like that!!!

Take care,

Laura

o

Great job Laura! Yay! Post pic when your plant blooms. : )

Kandhi, I like jamaicensis because of its fruity scent. It has a sourer note to its scent the same way a lavender or a jas sambac has. It reminds me of the smell of mango somehow.
I thought you had a gigantea once? Gigantea has a pretty, lighter perfume with some hints of clove. Gigantea is a better wafter though.

Fragrant2008, yes the flower of magnolia coco only lasts a day. It's a much compact plant comparing to the other magnolia/michelia. Buds develope on just 5" long branches. Mine is doing great this year. I love it. : )

Your Belle is looking different from mine?

How's the scent of that michelia maudiae?

Many plants I have never heard of before. And waah I need to find a Nemesia Vanilla Lady too. Lol. That last pic is just too pretty.

Okay Stephanie, you did it; I just bought some lotus seeds off Amazon too. Lol. How long do your seeds take? I read that they sprout within a week??

o

Mine sprouted within a week, but I sanded them first. I used the instructions here:

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/lotus/growing_from_seed.html

o

Ha! I just read that site. I've been looking but so far I haven't found how long it normally takes lotuses to bloom if grown from seed?
Maybe it was on that site and I missed it.
Also wondered about planting tubers found at Asian markets however it looks like most people haven't had good success with this method.

Thanks, Stephanie, for starting us on a new obsession. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Almost forgot.

Thanks, Laura.

Kem,
Jealous of that your brunfelsias are blooming! Wish my B. gigantea would hurry up and start putting out buds. :(

And fragrant...now I'm already googling Vanda denisoniana, darn you! ;)
Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing!

-Robert

o

I think lotuses bloom the second year from seed. I don't know for sure though.

Stephanie

o

Robert1971 - gardenias do a have slight coconut fragrance. It's more prominent on veitchii because of the peppery tones.

Kemistry - Golden magic has rather large blooms for such a small bush. Gets maybe 3 feet by 3 feet. The blooms are the same size, form, and scent as mystery.
Maybe 4 or 5 inches.

On a side note...
My grand duke is not happy.
My other Arabian jasmine are fine under this care regime but my grand duke....
It has no leaves left guys.
I'm putting it in a pot but I need your help.
Soil, fertiliser, light, water. The whole nine of you guys would please....

o

Robert1971 - gardenias do a have slight coconut fragrance. It's more prominent on veitchii because of the peppery tones.
The pond is modest.
It holds maybe 250 gallons, 9 goldfish, a water lily, and rows of fragrant orchids.
Up high with a ledge to discourage curious kitties, dogs, and predators.
Takes up far less space than one would think.

Kemistry - Golden magic has rather large blooms for such a small bush. Gets maybe 3 feet by 3 feet. The blooms are the same size, form, and scent as mystery.
Maybe 4 or 5 inches.

On a side note...
My grand duke is not happy.
My other Arabian jasmine are fine under this care regime but my grand duke....
It has no leaves left guys.
I'm putting it in a pot but I need your help.
Soil, fertiliser, light, water. The whole nine of you guys would please....

This post was edited by Ordphien on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 2:19

o

Ordphien,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Grand Duke jasmine. :(
They can be prone to spider mites (look for webbing) so spraying with Neem oil could help.
I grow all my jasmines in the fast draining 5:1:1 mix and add slow release Dynamite all purpose fertilizer to the mix. I grow them in full sun and let the soil dry some between waterings (a moisture meter is a godsend and will tell you if the pot is dry, moist or wet) and tilt the pots to the side after watering to help drain off the perched water level.
If I think the plant needs food I'll use Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro liquid fertilizer and if the leaves still look yellow after that I'll sprinkle some Ironite onto the top of the mix.
Anyway that's my routine with jasmines.
Hope it helps you! :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's 5:1:1 fast draining potting mix

o

Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli' might be my new favorite sambac jasmine. It's been wafting around the arbor at night making the air smell heavenly! :)
Still love Belle of India but for some reason Mysore is currently kicking its butt. Laugh.

-Robert

o

Came home at lunch and could smell the sweet tart candy like scent of Radermachera kunming blooming in the yard. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:47

o

Ordphien I gave up on growing Grand duke. If you haven't yet, go for the other cultivars like Mysore Mulli or Belle of India, etc. They smell just as great and are much easier to grow. : )

My Belle this year is putting out a lot of double-layer blooms. It's really interesting. My neglected Mali Pikul is smelling strong also. I'm pretty sure I need a Mysore Mulli, too. : )

The seller shipped the lotus seeds yesterday. I'll keep you guys updated on my 'adventure'. Lol.

o

In bloom this month and last month
highly fragrant thornfree climbing rose 'Zephirine Drouhin'

lilac

abelia mosanensis (jasmine fragrance)

Wisteria (not fond of fragrance but love the form)

sweebay magnolia (lemony fragrance)

jasmine nitidum

tabernamontana divertica

lavender

o

Kandhi some Wisteria smell like guava soda. What does yours smell like? Your Zephirine Drouhin looks gorgeous! : )

o

Kandhi, I want to visit your yard. :) How beautiful all your flowers are!

o

I know! Your flowers are gorgeous! :)

-Robert

o

I think I'll transfer my grand duke to a new mix, and sunnier location.
Now what fragrant plant to put in its old spot... hmm...
Large pot on the patio, enough light to bloom gardenias.
Any suggestions?

Figure I would post some other fragrant plants blooming. Mainly roses lol.

This is the first season in the ground for most of them so be nice.
And half of those came from body bags!

First up is distant drums. Finally getting it right. It grew the fastest pot of all my body bag roses. And blooms near constantly. In a year or twothe should be grand. The first few flushes of blooms came out deformed. It's finally getting into the swing of things, and is completely unbothered by the heat.
The fragrance is to die for. It's so strong I can smell it from a few yards away.

Ok... enough gushing

o

Bolero. showing little heat damage...
It's hot here lol.
Possibly the most fragrant rose in my garden. This photo doesn't do it justice.
It was planted.... today! I've been lusting after it at my local nursery for a while now and caved in. I know I shouldn't have in this heat but....

o

Abraham Darby holding up well in the heat. blooms are more pale and smaller. Fragrance is divine. Planted in a large pot and is going to be trained against my house.

o

Twilight zone, normally a deep intense wine colour, has gone bright purple.
The buds developed under heat, but opened during a three day combs snap. Resulting in this intense purple.
My camera made it a bit more saturated than I
in real life but the photo is pretty spot on.
Great bush. wonderful habit, beautiful foliage, great rebloom.
The fragrance is wonderfully and very strong. clove like.

o

classic woman.
From a body bag. so far has sent out two thick strong 4 foot canes.
First flower. I'm waiting to see.
Strong tea fragrance.

o

Grace.... Strong warm, almost moist tea fragrance with a hint of peach.
Planted in May. Holding up reasonably well on the heat.

o

My orchid.
maxillaria tenuifolia. Smells like coconut!

o

Stainless steel.
Also a body bag. Planted in February.
Strong lemon fragrance.

o

Angel face. Lavender mauve colour. Really strong citrus fragrance.

o

No name lavender rose. Extremely strong citrus fragrance that fills the whole room.

o

Extremely fragrant NOID cymbidium orchid.
Like an expensive perfume.

o

UGH Ordphien.. that's not fair. We want the ID of that orchid. Lol. Great rose pictures! : )

o

Mini cattleya. Smells strongly of roses and Jasmine.

o

kemistry - Sorry lol... it's just a mass produced NOID cymbidium.
They got on a whole shipment of those in for $10. Out of all of them only a handful were fragrant.

o

OMG Ordphien, I wish I could find an orchid like that. I love Cyms. Not only are they very beautiful, but theyre the least finicky and easiest to grow orchid for me here. Everything else I have eventually dies, but I've had a Cym for almost 3 years now! It's a non-fragrant yellow that I have. And the other one is a Kusuda Shining.
Seems like most of the fragrant ones are yellowish or orange side, but I didn't know they could exist on the purple spectrum.

This post was edited by musaboru on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 9:12

o

Kemistry, yI was not sure on how to describe the fragrance of this wisteria. You solved it, now i feel like it does smell like guava soda. My other japanese wiseria have a floral tone to it.

o

Ugh! I love all the roses and orchids. I want to sniff them all! Laugh.

Finally got two blooms on my Passiflora x belotii (P. alato-caerulea).
I love its unusual sort of tea like scent.

The flower buds had been aborting. I used my moisture meter and found out the soil is wet. Guess I've been a bad dad. ;)

-Robert

o

Robert, your Passiflora x belotii flower looks very pretty!

o

Here you go kandhi..I blame you for this.. my very own zephirine :D I love the scent, the color, the thornless canes... amazing rose!

o

Belle and Kleim's hardy

o

Thanks, kandhi! You should try one! They're very easy to grow and make flower. They love the 5:1:1 mix. They're also the most common passion flowers at least around my parts. :)

Brunfelsia australis is currently blooming. Really wanted to like the scent since I love purple and have so many white flowers but the scent is just not great. Sorta musky. My partner thinks it smells like poo. Laugh.
Maybe my next brunfelsia will be B. jamaicensis since Kemistry loves it so. ;)

-Robert

o

Neofinetia falcata orchid is still blooming and the scent has wafted some in the evenings. It actually had a light lovely scent when I snapped this pic this afternoon.
Very strange tropical fruit like scent to me.
I think it's growing on me though. :)

-Robert

o

Kemistry,

Almost forgot to mention how huge your new rose is! Where on earth are you going to find room for it? Laugh.
Hope the scent wafts some for you.

Speaking of where on earth am I going to find the room for another plant...I broke down and bought yet another plumeria. Plumeria 'Rhonda'. Smells peachy/coconut candy like. The scent changes throughout the day.
Ugh. Yes. I am insane. I now have 17! :P

-Robert

o

Musaboru - I got it from home depot.
Wait till their natural bloom cycle, and check around. That's when my area gets swamped with them. HD always has $10 ones. After that stick your nose around and find the fragrant ones.
I'm glad that came across as purple. The picture made it look burgundy to me.
I love them too... so easy to care for.

I suck mine in my patio, and water then once a week.

Such a rewarding orchid.

o

wow.... that neofinetia is pretty.
I've been meaning to add a few neos to my collection.

Gong through this thread made me realise I'm lacking in the fragrance dependent

o

Thanks, Ordphien.
They seems to be a fairly easy orchid to grow.
And you're lacking in the fragrance department?
Are you kidding us? With all the fragrant roses and orchids you have? Laugh.

-Robert

o

Wow Robert.. 17 plumeria's! do you have 'scentsational' from JJ? I really want go get one of that, not sure when..

Kemistry, I am glad you got zephirine, you will love it. In early spring, they bloom in tons and the fragrance is absolutely amazing.

o

Ha! I have what I believe to be 'Scentsational' (bought it off eBay, will know when it blooms!).
Funny thing is I smelled one inside a greenhouse here at a local nursery and I didn't care for the scent. It smelled harsh to me.
We'll see if mine blooms outside how I feel about it! :)

-Robert

o

robert1971 - Are they? That's good. I like easy orchids. Im still fairly new to orchids.

lol... I love my roses, they make great plants for vases. And my orchids are pretty spectacular house plants.
But that's not enough fragrance. I think I need more.

What plant would you recommend?

o

four o'clock.
I bought a seed packet of these years ago. This particular plant that sprouted is about 6 times more fragrant than any of the others. Fills my whole yard at night

o

I don't remember what this plant is called. I bought it in a rush for a spot of pink three years ago.
I adore it's scent. It smells to me like a white wine based perfume.

o

My pink Angel trumpet.
The divine scent fills the night air.
This one seems to be favored by spider mites.

o

my other August beauty is blooming its heart out.

o

Rose germanium? That's what we call it anyhow.

o

And finally my yellow angel trumpet.
You can smell this one at least 4 houses away at night.

o

Ordphien, those look like Nemesia??

o

Ordphien,

Your plants are gorgeous! I agree with Kemistry that your white wine perfume plant looks to be a nemesia.

Plants I recommend for fragrance:

Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' (it has yellow blooms so you might have it and just don't know it). :)
Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India' or 'Mysore Mulli'
Brunfelsia gigantea or B. jamaicensis
Aglaia odorata
Telosma cordata
Polianthes tuberosa (Single Mexican Tuberose)
Plumeria (lots of different cultivars!)

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will chime in. :)

-Robert

o

kemistry - nemesia huh? I'll have to remember. I truly love it's fragrance.

robert1971 - Thank you! This is the gardens second year... and my third year gardening lol. I hope one day it's beautiful...
I have lots to learn.
Googling all those varieties! I have three jasmine sambac. One was labeled jasmine sambac, the other didn't have a label beyond " Arabian jasmine", and a grand duke. Im gonna keep my eye out for the others.
Plumeria!
I just received around 15 cuttings to root from neighbors. I have no ideawhat they are but.... they were free..
What do they like to be planted in?
The only cutting that's rooted is in composted horse manure. Which I have a feeling isn't the right media for long term.

And the single tuberose. I have been searching really hard locally for the single variety. I can only find the double.
I heard the single is more apt to bloom, with better stronger fragrance.

o

Speaking of tuberose. Mine finally popped up.

o

I believe this is called clerodendrum ugandense... Maybe....

Still new to all this lol.

I have a very sensitive nose so whether or not you pick up on the fragrance is debatable. But I detect a distinct sweet baby powder smell from it.
Plus it llooks like clusters of blue butterflies. Which is great in my book

o

A bud on one of my Arabian jasmine.

o

dianthus... sweet and spicy.

o

I knew fennel was fragrant. I bought it for cooking.
But It's really fragrant today. I passed by it to get to my roses and was hit with a powerful wave of licorice, anise, and rootbeer. From 3 yards away!
This is bronze fennel I believe.

o

Unknown rose. Very strong sweet fragrance. Literally just sweet. Pairs well with gardenia fragrance.

o

I buy this every year. And I always forget to look at the tag.
Bloom machine, delightful foliage, smells like skunk lol.

But only on hot days, and only within a few feet of it.
But skunk smell is still fragrant right?

o

Another no id rose. Strong rose fragrance.

o

duranta?
Weeping clusters of small purple flowers. Smells of vanilla.

o

Green romantica rose.
Smells strongly of tea. I was surprised. I honestly didn't expect any fragrance let alone a strong one.

o

I just went to repot my grand duke. And saw these...
is it growing? should I leave it alone and sees what it does?

o

it has three total...

o

Maybe transplant shock?

This post was edited by Ordphien on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 17:30

o

And finally... my garden helpers favorite fragrant plant...
catnip!

Which honestly... I actually like the smell of.

o

so cute!! this thread is great!

o

he looks like the Cheshire Cat! :) even the grin is there!

o

Love this thread! Learned a lot. That cat looks like a cousin to my 2 twin boy furry purries. So pretty!!

o

Ordphien,
I am over here drooling looking at the gorgeous pics of your roses. They are absolutely gorgeous!
Have you noticed how many roses don't have much of a fragrance anymore? I think they are hybridizing fragrance out of the roses now. Anyway, your pics are wonderful!
Thank you everyone for posting such wonderful pics of all your bloomers this month so far.
I love looking at all your pics.
Robert, 17 plumerias? Are you serious? Wow you have the plumeria bug, LOL!
Rosey, thank goodness for good cell phone cameras, using the regular digital cameras is a PITA compared to cell phone pics.
I'll try to post some pics when I get a chance, my Grand Duke is blooming like mad and the smell is intoxicating.
Ordphien, Your grand duke is growing. It's fine, I would repot it after it blooms if you want to.

o

Second 'Rhonda' plumeria bloom is much more pinkish red than the one that opened in the greenhouse. Love it. Its scent changes from peach to coconut candy. :)

Ordphien,
I grow most of my plumies in the gritty mix or the 5:1:1 mix.

Butterfly,

Yup. There's no hope for me! Laugh.

-Robert

o

roseyd - haha... I hadn't noticed that but your right!

Mrs.FlowerJunkie - So have I! I mainly learned that I don't have enough fragrant plants lol.
It's my favorite.... err... type of cat? I always fall for cats that look like that.

butterfly4u - Thank you! I'm starting to love my roses... most of them. Some them really need to be shovel pruned.
like that climbing rose that never blooms, just attracts powdery mildew, and black spot, and aphids... and everything else that could go wrong with a rose.
Thank goodness for my cellphone camera! I'm slowly getting better with it.

I'm... not sure? I'm only 21 so I can't really vouch for any old roses. Plus I live in the land of hybrid teas, old roses are hard to find.
My neighbor does have a few. They are wonderfully fragrant, but only more fragrant than half of my HT. The other half of my roses are just as strong. I also noticed fragrance is playing an prominent role in alot of the newer roses coming out.
But I suppose your right, a lot seem to focus more on form and colour than fragrance.
Whew! I'll just leave the grand duke in its pot then. I hope I get some blooms!
I didn't want to repot it... so I'm relieved I don't have to. It's in a large ( very large) pot that I want it to remain on for years to come.
Over they past few years I've been increasing the size of the pots in putting things in drastically. Turns out over potting isn't a concern in my area lol.

Robert1971 - perfect! I can do that! Can't wait to see the blooms.... one day...
how long from rooted cutting to flower?

o

Mrs.FlowerJunkie - So have I! I mainly learned that I don't have enough fragrant plants lol.
It's my favorite.... err... type of cat? I always fall for cats that look like that.

butterfly4u - Thank you! I'm starting to love my roses... most of them. Some them really need to be shovel pruned.
like that climbing rose that never blooms, just attracts powdery mildew, and black spot, and aphids... and everything else that could go wrong with a rose.

I'm... not sure? I'm only 21 so I can't really vouch for any old roses. Plus I live in the land of hybrid teas, old roses are hard to find.
My neighbor does have a few. They are wonderfully fragrant, but only more fragrant than half of my HT. The other half of my roses are just as strong. I also noticed fragrance is playing an prominent role in alot of the newer roses coming out.
But I suppose your right, a lot seem to focus more on form and colour than fragrance.
I didn't want to repot it... so I'm relieved I don't have to. It's in a large ( very large) pot that I want it to remain on for years to come.
Over they past few years I've been increasing the size of the pots in putting things in drastically. Turns out over potting isn't a concern in my area lol.

Robert1971 - perfect! I can do that! Can't wait to see the blooms.... one day...

o

o

It just popped open!!first michelia x alba bloom ever! this is so exciting!!
 photo IMG_5480_zps03c6387f.jpg

(..btw I'm craving for melon ice cream all of a sudden!)

o

nice! okay so what do you think of its scent?? : )

o

Melon ice cream, eh? Not so sure I'm going to dig that scent but maybe one day I'll find out for myself!
Congratulations!
Now you're part of the elite group who have sniffed this bloom. Laugh.

Ordphien,

Have no idea. All mine have been rooted cuttings and I'm still waiting on the majority of them to bloom! :)

-Robert

o

I think I looooove it!! At the moment I have it together with lonicera, j.sambac arabian nights all blooming in one balcony and it is as strong as them! I don't know where to turn, I want to sleep outside in a hammock!

o

lol... that posted three times!

It smells like melon icecream? I love melon ice cream. I need one.

The flower is beautiful too...

rober t1971 - I guess only time will tell for me! My neighbor told me one of them is red and smells like cinnamon. can't wait!

fenius - Open all the windows!

o

Finally!! i can log back in :) had to reboot my p.c and new spyware was blocking this website :( so could not reply or see any of your beautiful photos :(

kemistry different how? and mine was ordered from ebay so it could of been miss labeled i suppose it smells wonderful what ever it is :)

Robert going on your description think i will have to have a look for 'Mysore Mulli' :) hopefully some one will have it on ebay

Ordphien i agree with both it is deff a nemesia it will be one of the Fragrant Lady Series most likely Sweet Lady

fenius congrats on your Michelia alba bloom still one of my all time favourite fragrances :)

by the way does any one grow there Michelia figos in pot just out of all my Michelias my figo,s are the only ones that do not seem to be thriving i have tried plastic and clay pots free draining compost acid compost different feeds foliage sprays even that banana peel and the only one i would say looks kind of happy is a gafted one from taiwan

o

my one flower stem on Syringa Miss Kim Highly Fragrant Dwarf
still a very small and the flowers are going over now to be honest

photo IMAG0209_zpsb354ce5f.jpg

some how i have a rose in my garden ;) no idea of name very nice scent tho

photo IMAG0210_zps2e516f5b.jpg

Philadelphus coronarius Aureus citrus like scent

photo IMAG0211_zps83f8a902.jpg

big Fragrant cattleya BLC Helen Brown Napoleon

photo IMAG0206_zps63dae963.jpg

Epidendrum fragrans

photo IMAG0208_zps1c9aee44.jpg

and odontocidium wildcat

photo IMAG0207_zps03e2b5d8.jpg

o

My belle has elongated petals, not rounded like yours

o

First Brunfelsia gigantea flower of the season finally opened last night!
Dang it made me wait forever this year. Laugh.
Love its scent.

-Robert

o

Fragrant,

So glad you're back! Looks like you've got plenty to sniff! Love all the orchids. :)

'Satisfaction' Orienpet Lily opened today. It has a rosewood citrus like scent. Love it though it's not as strongly scented as my 'Silk Road' and 'Casa Blanca' lilies which should also be opening soon.
The Gorgeous color of 'Satisfaction' makes up for the fact that you have to stick your nose into the bloom to appreciate its scent.

-Robert

o

thank you Robert its good to be back i missed logging on each day to see who had what blooming and to see if there was any exciting specimens i might be able to squeeze in somewhere :)
love your Lily :) i do have a white one but its not in flower at the momment and you have to be careful when you have cats as only a very small amount needs to be eaten to cause devastating effects

kemistry maybe you are right looking online mine does looks a bit more like maid of orleans what do you think?

o

ahhh just checked my other jasmine and that is maid of Orleans great i could have 2 of the same plant on the up side looks like all my chicken feet cutting have taken :)

o

Yeah it does look a bit like Maid of Orleans. You can also tell the difference between MOO and Belle by how long each flower lasts on the plant. Moo's flowers drop the next day while Belle's flowers usually stay on for 2 days.

Today is humid here so its scent is even more intense. I love it. : )

This post was edited by kemistry on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 18:16

o

hey, can't keep up with u guys any more!! Today I 've been cursing all plants - sweating over water sprinklers ecc in the sun...wanted to give half of them away, hope I recover tomorrow!
Welcome back fragrant, nice epidendrum fragrans,( noted for wish list!! )
Speaking of sambacs, mysore mulli made me the biggest flower today!

o

This was supposed to become a tall 4 foot by 4 foot bush - and it never did ... it's only about a foot tall and this is the second summer in the ground. But, I love the look ot the roses... Not so much fragrance, but I was happy to see she's finally giving some seasonal happy colors!

o

thank you fenius and beautiful rose once again roseyd your garden must be rose heaven :)

o

'Silk Road' lily opened today! Lots of buds on it so hopefully it will bloom for a couple of weeks. :)
Both lilies are wafting and making the backyard smell great!

Also received Brunfelsia jamaicensis, Jasminum grandiflorum 'Flora Plena' and Jasminum tortuosum today.
Yes. The sickness continues. Laugh

I'm sure come August I'll be in fenius' boat and be tired of watering them and want to get rid of them all. ;)

-Robert

o

Oh my! Silk road is beautiful. None of the lilies I planted are doing well... so sad.

I got a lotus! A few years ago I bought a large pot with the intent of putting a dwarf lotus in it. I couldn't find a dwarf lotus until now, but find it I did.
I can't wait for the blooms and fragrance!

o

it supposedly has pink blooms

o

Awesome! Let us know your thoughts on your lotus' scent when it blooms. :)

'Satisfaction' lily is smelling great and wafting now. It's quite the treat to come home to!

-Robert

o

I envy your lilies being open. Mine are still at half size - I'm expecting them to be beautiful come August... but there's a wait still.

I almost had my jasmine MOO in bloom. I was excited to see the bud - it was getting bigger each day. And yesterday morning - it was on the cusp of opening. I arrived home last night and it was gone. Is this to be expected for putting it outside? did the wind knock it off? or did a neighbor pluck it? So, the one budd is gone - and the plant is all leaves again. I was expecting more flowers with it being outside - and after 3 weeks out there - that it's only filling out with greenery and one measly bud? Where's the rest of them?

I'm more than a little disappointed.

o

" Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 17:00

I buy this every year. And I always forget to look at the tag.
Bloom machine, delightful foliage, smells like skunk lol.

But only on hot days, and only within a few feet of it.
But skunk smell is still fragrant right?"

Cleome hassleriana. I love the way it smells, one of those polarizing scents, like Lantana.

o

Rosey,

Sorry you only had one bud and now it's gone and you didn't even get to sniff it. :(

Did you cut your jasmine back before placing it outside or did you just put it outside the same size it was when it was growing indoors?

I've found that I get a great deal more blooms when I cut my sambac jasmines back. Makes the plants much more bushier and I get way more buds that way.

Of course I hope you're remembering to fertilize and let the potting mix dry a bit between waterings. :)

-Robert

o

I should get a skunk flower and put that on my porch... at least no one would pick that flower. :)

I had translplanted the plant down to a smaller pot because half of it hadn't done well over the winter. and yes, I had given it a significant trim. And, yes, I'm fertilizing. and... it's on the porch and I probably am watering it to much - but it's been so hot! ... and I'm afraid the the poor thing will wilt if I don't take extra care. Yes, I'm probably overwatering it, instead.

o

Get a moisture meter, baby!
Couldn't live without mine.
Almost watered my Mysore Mulli this morning but instead decided to use the probe and saw it was moist/wet so I did not water even though I'm like you and think 'it's gonna be super hot today...better water!'.

Jasmines hate wet feet! :)

-Robert

o

Checked my Mysore Mulli jasmine again at lunch with the moisture meter and it still read wet.
So glad I didn't water it this morning!
Would hate to lose this awesome smelling baby! :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here