Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasmine flower drop

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 17:36

Hi, I've got a question I was hoping someone can help me with. I just recently got a jasmine plant. I believe it is a single-flowered jasminum sambac. My problem is that as of late, it seems to drop its flowers as soon as they are open. The buds look to set up fine, and there is plenty of new growth, but I can't get the flowers to stay on more than a few hours after they open.

Anyone heard of this happening? Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks a bunch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasmine flower drop

It's nothing to worry about, I've got one too doing the same thing, and you'll notice there are buds growing from where the other ones have fallen from. The flowers only last a few days regardless with the single variety. It could be also partly due to watering it too much, it should be kept pretty dry, only watering it when the surface of the compost dries.

RP1

o

Yes riseingpower1 is right. I am 15 years ld and i love growing jasmine hense the my urser name lol. the jasmine u have is Sambac (Maid of orleans) this is one of my fav's. if u are looking for a jasmine that lasts a lil long yo might want to check out the grand duck of tuscany jasmine. this ia a greatjasmine plat with tripple flowers that last many days abnd instead of droping off the plant they dry rith onto theier stems. good luck
~Keith

o

Thanks for the info. I don't think overwatering was the problem, though... I've been keeping it pretty dry, for the most part, only watering when the surface was definitely dry. I'm going to try moving it to a warmer room, to see if that helps. Where it was before, it got the cool air drifting down from the air-conditioned 3rd floor... maybe it didn't like that? We'll see.

Glad to hear that the flower drop is not too weird a thing to happen though. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like disease or something like that.

o

Hmm. I have my jasmines outdoors for the summer. If you have them indoors, make sure they get as much sunlight as possible.

o

Eeek, I figured out what it was... it's having a bit of a mite infestation. I just sprayed it with some insecticidal soap, so we'll see how it does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here