Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

Started with new hardy gardenia's in zone 7

kandhi
12 years ago

I gave up with growing gardenia's indoors and papering them. This year I stated with 3 new hardy variety gardenia's. All 3 varieties seem to do well so far with settling in and growing/blooming in ground. So far no major problems with pests or their specific needs. Fertilize them with dynagro foliar pro once a month and make sure their acidic soil needs are met by adding peat, coffee grounds. I also have gardenia frost proof that I had in ground since last 2 years. It does come back but by the time it has buds/blooms it is almost september. It did survice 2 rough winters past 2 years so I would consider it hardy to zone 7 (northern virginia).

Gardenia-jubilation, medium ht plant with mutiple petal flowers, standard gardenia fragrance. leaves yellow though added with peat and ironite.

gardenia - crown jewell, compact plant with multiple petal flower, opens beautful with strong fragrance. Rated and very hardy to zone 7. So far no yellow leaves.

gardenia - heaven scent - compact single petal dark green leaf plant, so far no yellow leaves seems to be doing good. Fragrance is strong

Comments (10)

• GrnThum
    12 years ago

Lovely gardenias! They look very vibrant. I know what you mean, I currentl have a gardenia indoors that I purchased 3 months ago and it only set several blooms and dropped many buds. I don't want to grow it in my balcony because it gets real hot and always prone to all kinds of insect attacks. Anyway, I think youre doing a good job.

• skippy05
    12 years ago

I LOVE gardenias! My sister grew them in VA Beach.
    I live in Philly & have a Chuck Hayes Gardenia in the back yard. It is taking over the yard, but I love it. It bloomed last Friday & is full of flowers today! It is a few years old now.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Skippy05, how long have you had chuck hayes, does the plant lose all leaves in winter and come back giving new growth in spring? I had chuck hayes at one time and that I neglected for a while and it died.

• myuew
    12 years ago

Congratulations! They all look very lovely! :D I love gardenia and have a giant one (about 9ft tall) in the backyard). I'm not so sure about the "hardy" claims though. I'm in zone 8a and had the jubilation variety before. When the Texas winter storm hit, it was the first to wither away... Last year, when Texas had record breaking snow storm, it severely damamged my giant Gardenia. :( Several branches were dead, and the lower trunks, the barks were broken. I was so heartbreaking. When spring came, I tried my best to help the tree to regrow, so far it's doing great, with new branches and leaves forming, though I'm not expecting much bloom today.

What I'm trying to say it despite what the plant might clain to be hardy, you still might want to take protection plans when the weather gets cold. It's always better to be safe than seeing our beloved plant suffer. :)

I'm growing a container gardenia for the first time this year, so far it's doing well in the pot. :)

• mistascott
    12 years ago

Interesting post. I did not know there were so many hardy gardenia cultivars outside of Kleim's and Chuck. I am in Northern VA with a first-season Chuck Hayes blooming well. However, the blooms are not very fragrant, which has thrown me for a loop. The ones I have smelled in greenhouses were mesmerizing. These are much milder. Other than that, it looks great and is healthy.

We've had our share of snow and cold weather the past few years here in Northern VA, but I don't think we have gotten below 5 degrees, so those gardenias haven't experienced a true zone 7a yet. Zones refer to temp and nothing else.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mistacott, If you read online on the hardy gardenia's that I have posted above, all of them say they are hardy to zone7. I have frostproof that I did not post the pic that has been in ground since 2009, it loses lot of leaves every winter but comes back with full growth in spring and blooms a lot in Aug/Sep through November. The flowers are fragrant and pretty in structure. I do agree that chuck hayes is not that fragrant as kleim's hardy and other hardy varieties. I am trying these new varieties this year and see if they survive through winters.

• mistascott
    12 years ago

Crown Jewel is a cross between Kleim's and Chuck created in Chatham County, NC. Interesting. tidbit.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This year updates with hardy gardenia's in ground. I am very happy with all gardenia's that i planted outside in groupd last year. They continued to bloom since May and are still blooming.
    Gardenia frost proof

Gardenia crown jewel

Gardenia crown jewel

• kandhi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

collected some gardenias for display and fragrance indoors

gardenia crownprince