Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Fragrant petunias

Virginia
14 years ago

I posted an offer on the plant exchange forum, offering a lot of beautiful TB irises for some fragrant petunias. No one has replied! So I'm mentioning it here, in case someone would like to trade with me. The irises are really gorgeous.

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

John, I notice no one responded. What type of petunias are you looking for? I believe all petunias are fragrant..The doubles have little scent, but single flower Petunias are highly scented. It's more notiable late afternoon into the night..I have petunias growing in windowboxes on our railings, when we step outside their scent hits us in the face. But during day it's hardly noticable.
    They sell petunias at most garden centers and grocery stores. Have you searched any nurseries or centers? Good luck, Toni

• Virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe my sniffer is getting too old to detect the scent, but the only ones that I've found to have a noticeable fragrance at any nursery have been the dark purple singles. I would love to have some variety of color, but I really want a strong scent. I was thinking that the scent had probably been bred out of them as they were hybridized for more profuse blooms.

I'll keep searching!
    Ginny

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Ginny, oddly enough, I notice more scent with white flower Petunias..lol..
    I agree, mixing colors not only livens up a container, but the surrounding area smells heavenly.
    I hate to say this, but maybe it's your sniffer..lol. Do you have sinus or allergy problems? Either problems can stuff up a sniffer..lol.
    If you find the petunias this year, when they seed, remove and save them.
    I used to collect seeds from certain plants. You need jars with lids, washed and dried thoroughly. Example, baby food jars with lids. Place cotton on the bottom, top with seeds. Cover..Set in a cool, (not cold) dark area. No sun. Overwinter..In January, sow the seeds,. By April or May, the seedlings should be large enough to plant outdoors.
    Petunia seeds are easy to germinate, especially outdoors. I found a couple house plants sitting under the window sills w/baby petunias growing..lol..This happened once before with a citrus. In Jan, a baby petunia sprouted and flowered..what a surprise that was! lol Toni