Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gadrenia legging how to treat ?

Posted by khourshed none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 18:10

hi all,
I have been following this very informative forum for a while now. Time to ask for help.
my 2 gardenia is growing legs every where

Photobucket

Photobucket

how to cure it, which branch exactly to cut. I had bad experience trimming a previous gardenia, it lead to its death.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gadrenia legging how to treat ?

You need to shape a plant to your own eye, khourshed. But what I would recommend is that you don't cut it all at once. I use the "1/3" rule".

Cut no more than 1/3 of the branches, wait until that branch resprouts, then cut the second 1/3. Repeat. In addition, the branch that's cut, I cut 1/3 of that. This gives you good proportions on the "new" plant, and leaves the plant plenty of foliage to continue growing with.

o

thanks for the advise, the problem it cuts in my heart when i cut it but i will do it, the other problem the second tree is non stop blooming i feel sorry to trim it since this mean no more flowers

o

Well, I know what you mean. I'm waiting to cut back a couple of gardenias further, but they keep putting out blooms. I've done two 1/3's on them, but haven't been able to finish the shaping. (They did sprout back). I'd say, just enjoy it while it's blooming and cut it back later.

BTW, I would definitely not cut it back in the late fall tho. Since it's in the ground, you don't want it sprouting tender new growth right before winter comes on (unless your climate is very warm). Prune while there's still time for the new growth to toughen up a little before cold weather arrives.

Good luck. You'll do fine.

o

Khourshed,
Your gardenia is reaching for sunlight big time.
You will always have this problem if you leave it where it is. It will always try to reach like that for the sunlight.
I am sure you don't want to move it.
So, if it is staying where it is at, don't trim it, it needs that sunlight to bloom.
Leave it alone and enjoy it.
Personally, I like the looks of it, it's awesome looking that way, but that's just my personal opinion.
If you MUST cut it back, only to have it grow back up to the sunlight again, just trim the tope 1/3 of the shrub off. Do it as soon as possible.
Gardenias set their buds for NEXT years bloom in July and August.
Like Rhododendrums.(sort of).
But if there is any way you can let it go like that, don't trim it back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here