Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

Stephanotis (madagascar jasmine) will not flower

sunslight
15 years ago

I have a Stephanotis (madagascar jasmine) that I got to grow from seed. \

It's doing well for the past 10 yrs, except it has never bloomed. What good is a fragrant plant if it won't put out a blossom, even one?

I live in Utah, so it becomes a house plant in the fall/winter/spring.

I have threatened it, talked nicely to it, cut it back severly, pinched out new growth, let it grow as much as it can, used fertilizer, withheld fertilizer, kept it moist, kept it dry, when out doors put it so the 20' of vine is in the sun with the roots of the plant in the shade, placed it so the whole plant is in shade, placed it so the whole plant is in the sun, even beat it with a stick--but it won't put out a flower.

These things are so difficult to start from seed, I hate to just throw it out, especially if there is some simple or even complicated thing to do to get it to bloom, either outdoors or the 9 months it is indoors. --I have an orange tree indoors, that sets wonderful orange blossoms. I have orchids too. But what am I doing wrong with my jasmine?

I've propagated it by cutting after cutting (anybody want cuttings) and still no luck. Changed the soil to acid, neutral, alkaline, sandy, peaty, miracle-gro.

I called the ag. dept. and asked if there were such a thing as only a male stephanotis, or one that doesn't set flowers. They told me, no.

Any ideas as to what to do next?

Comments (63)

• zee729
    15 years ago

I had the same problem. My plant was 10+ years old, and I'd long resigned myself to it being nothing but a foliage plant. Then someone on one of these forums suggested epsom salts. I just apply a pinch to the soil surface every Spring when I put it outside and water it in well. It's bloomed like crazy every year (5 years now) since, with no other changes. Also, this year it produced a fruit! Give it a try........

• ldypoet26_aol_com
    14 years ago

I have had a madagascar jasmine for 3 years now. the first year hd a few flowers and the second year there was nothing. I untangled the vines,started watering it twice a week by soaking it and letting it drain. I used mariacle grow food and mist it in te early mornings and i have maybe 50 bunches if not more. So it seems that less was more. Hope this helps.

• gootziecat
    14 years ago

Somewhere I read not to turn a Steph around when in bloom or it will have a tendency to drop blooms. Has anyone experienced this?

Sande

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Howdy All..I've been sooo busy hauling plants outdoors. It's late in the season, I know, but June was terrible. Never in my life, a long one, lol, do I recall such a cold, dreary month. 3 or 4 wks back the sun was shining, and temps were in the 90's..Suddenly we have non-stop rain, and very cold weather. Not sprinkles but heavy rain..in fact, our neighbors tree fell on our house..part landed on top of plants including my tree Gardenia. Another story.

ID, is Madagascar Jasmine the same as Steph? I've heard the common term, but for some reason think it's a Jasmine..No?

Sande, rotating a budding Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving Cactus while in bud/bloom is a big No-No, but never heard that about Stephs..But when a plant starts to bud, I never move or turn it around. Buds need sun to bloom, so if the buds are facing light, then turned away, there's a chance they'd drop.,..I'm not positive on this point, but wouldn't want to take chances, especially with a hard-to-get-to-bloom plant or one that blooms once a year.
    But when a plant isn't in bloom, it's a good idea rotating 1/4, once a week or so, so all foliage gets light. Toni

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Toni,

Yes, Stephanotis is Madagascar Jasmine (cue Sasha Baron Cohen singing "I Like to Move It, Move It")

I've seen a couple of these in bloom around town in recent weeks, so I think the season can be variable, sometimes the buds take forever to mature and open. I suspect nurseries can manipulate blooms a bit by keeping 'em colder and dryer for a month or so then upping the light and watering.

I never move a plant in bud. Except when I forget. ;>)

Jim

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Jim, thanks. Oddly enough, many moons ago I ID'd plants by common names, and in many cases, still do.
    In the 80's, I knew Steph as, Madagascar Jasmine, but totally forgot its common name since.

Hey, we disco-dancing today? lol

I started to ask if you thought nurseries forced Stephs into bud, (like they do w/Azaleas) when I reread your post, basically questioning the same concept..lol..
    So you think cold and dry aoil promotes budding?
    If so, how many weeks of dry soil is needed? And how cold is cold? My Steph is in an upstairs bathroom, west window. Withholding water isn't much of a problem. The bathroom is semi-unheated, but not cold. Perhaps a tad cool. If you have any idea on temps, next winter/spring I can move my Steph to a cooler room, and withhold watering..Thanks, Toni

• jimshy
    14 years ago

Toni,

What I've read is night temps need to go down into the mid to low 50s, I'd say for at least 6 weeks, consistently, and watering can be cut back to once every other week. If possible, light should be bright, at least a half day's sun up north. and no fertilizer at all.

The ones at the nursery I worked at were crammed into a warehouse with sodium vapor lamps overhead and minimal heating and were watered when somebody remembered to, then brought out onto a blazing hot pier next to the harbour and watered almost daily in hot weather. These were over six feet tall behemoths, so I suspect they could stand more abuse than the average house plant.

Hope this helps!

Jim

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Good luck with this one. I made a promise to myself to never buy one, unless sell my home here and move into my house into the carribeans! I am sure this plant would love to be there with me..

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I wonder if this plant has a huge appetite for calcium and magneesium such as citrus.
    Some one here said it bloom after using epsom salts which is mag. HUM.. Wonder what essientail nutrient needs are required for this plant? Wonder if feeding nitrogyn based fertilizers messes things up?

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Jim, 50's huh? Well, the only option I'd have is to set my Steph in the back plant room where temps get very very cool. But then I have a sun issue. Windows face south and east, but the south doesn't get much sun. I do keep a Gro light on, which would help.
    Our climate is strange. 50's for six wks would be difficult since seasons changed. Spring is a season of the past..same with autumn.
    6' tall Stephs..Did you end up with one? One would have followed me home..lol
    Thanks for the info..We'll see..it's in the 50's now, but lots of rain.

Mike, I think minerals would help keep Stephs green. My Steph gets Iron twice a year, no yellow leaves. But still no blooms..You should buy one..lol..

• kandhi
    13 years ago

this is 7th yr in a row that I have not had a single bloom on the stephanotis that bought from TT,florida in 2003. I bought another plant in local nursery in Feb with blooms in 6inch pot, I repotted it into 8inch pot since it was rootbound in tight peat mix. The plant grew well after that and it started blooming again and the blooms are absolutely beautiful. The flowers last very long with wonderful fragrance. I have given the other plant that never bloomed under same environment conditions to one of my neighbors and wisher her good luck with it. Below is the pic from my new stephanontis.

• jason83
    13 years ago

I have been growing these in containers and also successfully overwinter them outdoors here in N. Florida with a lot of protection, as we get down to the mid-low 30's for a few weeks. It took me 3 years to figure out how to get the ones in containers to flower.

The trick is to let them get slightly pot-bound and to give them a dormant period.... sort of. Hopefully I can clarify here: The reason they flower more when pot bound is actually because the pot dries out faster in between waterings. I don't know for sure if actually being root bound helps, but it certainly does when it comes to drying out faster.

These types of vines are unlike true Jasmines in that they don't necessarily need cooler temperatures to create buds, but they need the soil to be dry. About 3-4 or so months of the year you will notice the plant tries to stop creating new growth, and generally it will be around the same time you bring them indoors to overwinter (for me it is Nov-Feb).

Keep the pot on the dry side, but not to the point of chronic wilting during this "dormant" period, and only fertilize with coffee grounds (they like slightly acidic soil), seaweed and fish emulsion, if at all. Avoid dosing too much nitrogen if you can help it.

When new growth starts emerging again (by around Feb.), start fertilizing with a mixture that is a bit higher in phosphate. Do one fertilizing with a higher phosphate mix, then another that's balanced, then a higher phosphate mix, etc (rotate the fertilizing). And keep topping off the soil with those coffee grounds and maybe a banana peel or two! Stephanotis prefer slightly acidic soil pH.

One more thing and then I'll go (sorry for the rambling!): while here in FL it is very humid and the plants love it, it's not so humid here indoors. What REALLY helps me with this is to fill a planter tray full of rocks, gravel, shards, etc and place the pot on TOP of the rubble, so that the pot does not get waterlogged. Then when you water, the evaporation from the tray helps with humidity quite a bit.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

You see, here is where I think lies problem for people like me who try flowering these in the North through winter.

In the winter, when we are suppose to let them dry out, the leaves wilt quickly, almost die...I have to constantly water to stop them from drying to much. One time I did, and I lost it from under watering.

Maybe the reason why many say they need a lot of humidity, sort of what a greenhouse provides up here in the winter, is so the leaves can stay hydrated while the roots dry out. Sort of like the same enviroment that Orchids need...
    I suppose if one can get an Orchard to rebloom after a winter, then one can get this plant to bloom..

I have never been able to get these to rebloom, in fact, the only buds that are on them that havn't opened yet after I bring it home from the nursery, shrivel up and fall off..

I love this plant, but only when first bought, because from then on, I can never get it to look the same..If I provide all the humidity they say these things need, then I would cause a moldy problem in my home..:-(

Mike....

• kandhi
    13 years ago

mike, don't give up, if you are growing citrus, plmeria's and other tropicals in your area you should be able to grow stephanontis, My plant is still blooming, I have it outside on my deck in shaded area, not under full sun as they can't handle it. In winter I never watered my plant on regular schedule, it stays in basement for humidity near a window for indirect sunlight.

• jason83
    13 years ago

I have two very good suggestions to help try and remedy a possible humidity issue with regards to giving the Stephanotis their dormant period while preventing wilt and death. Both of these work especially well if you don't have the time or energy to frequently mist the plant throughout the day every day.

1) Place the pot on top of a planter tray full of rocks, gravel, shards, etc. The drainage water will accumulate in this tray, and since the pot is on top of the substrate, you don't have to worry about the pot becoming saturated and waterlogged. This drain water will evaporate and increase humidity surrounding the pot and plant.

2) Cover the plant with plastic. This will keep moisture and humidity in while allowing the soil to dry out more during the dormant period. Smaller plants you could use a soda bottle or gallon jug with the bottom cut and place it on top of the soil in a pot. For larger vines, place 4 sticks in each corner of the pot and get a large transparent or translucent trash bag and make a "tent" over the trellis and vine.

Both of these would prevent leaf and stem wilt while allowing the soil to be dry during the dormant period. Then after a couple of months it should begin to produce buds and flower as it begins creating new growth once more. If #1 is not enough, then apply #2 as well.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Wow..Thank you jason for those excellent ideas...

Last year, I had a humidfyer going and my room started to develope mold on the walls near the windows..Not good..At the advice of many on the forums, I shut if off, and cooled the room...

I just might grab myself a small one and try one of these techniques..

Thank you Kandhi for the encouragement. Thank you..

Mike..:-)

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

This is a very interesting discussion. I just bought one from xxx. I hope It blooms easily like Khandi's second one, and not like her first!

But at least I have the tip to keep it dryish this winter. About humidity-- some hope once the furnace kicks in.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

This has been a great thread, very informative. Just got a stephanotis, but all old growth, not one bit of new on it. At least now I know how to winter it! Hopefully can get some new growth on it next year for blooms.

Kandhi-- your steph is gorgeous! Thanks for the picture.

• kandhi
    13 years ago

Mehitabel, I was so excited to see the blooms, felt like sharing with everyone. I did not do anything special to the 2nd plant that I bougth, yet it was blooming very will since last 2 months.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Kandhi--I'll bet! I'd be thrilled to have such a beauty, too!

I bought my steph from TT-- I hope it doesn't turn out to be a dud like your first one. But your picture has convinced me to keep trying to find one that will bloom like that :)

• mary_m_106_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

:I bought my Stephanotis in early spring full of flowers. I left the plant with my daughter while we went away for a two week vacation. During that time the flowers all died and it hasn't flowered since. I've since repotted it, as it was growing like a weed. I've had it indoors infront of a window, placed it outsided in Southern exposer and nothing. I'm hoping that it won't be years before it blooms again or if it blooms at all.
    I haven't fertized it yet, so that is my next attempt. Although this seems to be a common problem!

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Moi, I am not sure what zone you are in but if you bought the plant with flowers then it sure should bloom for you providing the following condtions
    Move the plant outside if the temp in your area are above 55 degrees.
    Do not overwater the plant unless the toplayer is dry
    Have the plant in semi shade area not in full sun, maybe morning sun. They cannot take afternoon sun/heat
    If it had not started with buds then fertilize it. If there are buds alredy do not fertlize the plant. Once buds are set do not move or change the plant location as the buds abord and fall off. This is based on my experience with the plant.
    My plant is currently setting buds all over the vine and I am excited to check on the blooms. I love their subtle fragrance and the blooms stay for very long time. I will post the pic soon.

• skippy05
    12 years ago

I have a small one that I bought several years ago on-line. I don't even remember the name of the place. Same story as all, never bloomed.
    Friday we were at Wegmans Food Store, I couldn't believe it when I saw all these Stephanotis!! They have them in for Valentines Day! Well, I had to buy one in bloom! Now after reading all these posts, I have a feeling the buds that did NOT open yet, will probably NOT open ever........ And I purposefully bought one that had buds so they would open when I got it home............ I have it in the living room beside a regular lamp. Our house is usually on the cold side. I guess I better enjoy the few flowers that are open while they last.............

• kandhi
    12 years ago

skippy, I saw them in homedepot and they put them on sale after valetines to 50% and I bought 2 as gifts for my frieds. They are full with buds. This is what I can share based on my experience with this plant. Leave the plant in same pot for 2-3 weeks and water it only when it totally dry. Stephanotis do not like wet feet. Yes, you may see some buds not opening and some dropping due to climate/location change. I would place the pot in a filtered sun area for now. I am guessing your's is in 6inch pot if it is rootbound repot the plant in late march and move it outside in May. Once it settles in new pot with proper watering and fertilization I am pretty sure it will bloom again in your zone in July - Aug. I bought my stephanotis the same way did during valentines time 2 years ago, it is now 4ft tall and is in my sunroom. It's been blooming every summer without fail. I hope it does the same for you.

• skippy05
    12 years ago

Kandhi
    Thanks for the reply. The buds are still there but not one has opened. In fact, the few that were opened when I bought it have closed. None have fallen off, yet.
    Just curious, did your friends buds open??

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Skippy, My friends also said their stephanontis buds did not open, becoming yellow and falling off. My plant behaved the same way when I bought it 2 years ago but it is doing good now, don't give up. You will sure be rewarded with new buds/blooms in summer once you move it outside.

• Kaulad
    12 years ago

I'm at 1400' in Kau District, Hawaii, Hawaii. Mine is growing on a trellis next to a large group of Apple bananas. I've notice that when the bananas overhang the trellis, the flowering slows/stops necessitating some whacking back of the bananas. It is planted in the ground (we have very little soil, more like a thin plaster between the rocks), gets rainwater off the roof and has a very large seed pod this year. It seems to thrive in full sun and needs very little attention. I dose with triple 16 twice a year and its portion is about 1/2 a cup.

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi, All , I have one grow from seed as well, For 5 years it has never bloomed . I have tried everything but still no bloom. It may sound crazy, but I am wondering if anyone here knows whether the Stephanotis grow from seed has gendar differences??? Maybe mine is a boy.

• mrao77
    10 years ago

This is an older post, but I thought I should go ahead and add to the wonderful discussion. Hope this will give promise to those struggling with Stephanotis floribunda. I had mine (grown from a rooted cutting through a trade) grew quickly and had been transplanted into a large 16" pot. it thrived and covered trellis quickly, but did not flower. It was a house plant in winter and outdoors in summer. I tended it for 5+ years- nothin'! Finally this spring it changed its mind and bloomed :) This was after a local move and I had lost several of my fragrant plants, so it was a wonderful treat. it has continued to bloom sparingly through summer, and even set one HUGE fruit! Not sure how to harvest seed, please let me know if you have any tips.
    Anyway, I am not sure if seed grown plants take 5-6 years before they set buds. This could be why any cuttings taken from such plants also don't produce flowers. Just my two cents. Now that mine has set flowers, I will try to propagate some cuttings. it smells heavenly!

Happy gardening,
    mrao77

• Beata Tarczon
    7 years ago

I remember mine was blooming nicely in the bathroom window. Try humidity

• scott_madison Zone 5a- Madison, WI
    7 years ago

I have a Stephanotis that I've had for several years. Living in Wisconsin it goes out for the summer and comes in for the winter. I have it in a 14"terra cotta pot and it is growing up and through a metal obelisk. After frost danger passes in May, it goes out by my arbor which is a full sun location. I water and fertilize regularly all summer and it grows up the posts of my arbor and flowers for many months. When frost threatens in the fall, I prune it back to the metal obelisk and bring it indoors to a summer window. It never flowers in the winter for me... Just lives as a green plant. I have read several times that Stephanotis grown from seed take many years to flower. Cutting grown plants usually bloom the first year. I believe my plant came from Logee's. I ordered it one fall... But it did indeed flower for me the next summer. This past summer it grew and bloomed so heavily I was rarely without clusters of flowers until the days started to cool down. Every time a neighbor walking by commented on it I would pluck a cluster of blooms for them and send them happily on their way! I would recommend pitching your plant that doesn't bloom and getting a cutting grown plant. I think you will have better luck with it setting blooms. Here is a pic of mine from last July.

• juicystems
    6 years ago

Wow, Scott! That's a beautiful plant you have.

I'm curious- does anyone have experience growing this outdoors in Tampa, Florida?

• plumbago1122
    6 years ago

I see no one has responded to your question. I am two hours south of you and have a pretty large stephanotis in the ground planted last spring, growing profusely, now over eight feet tall, but no flowers. Will try some of the advice given above, I.e., Epsom salts, coffee grounds, banana peels, hi phosphates occasionally and low nitrogen. Will see what happens.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Good luck with stephanotis. I am in Virginia and have no luck with this plant whatsoever. I think you will have better luck with this plant if you buy from a source who guarantees you that it will bloom in a time frame. Or buy a plant which is already in bloom. I have heard that this plant likes to be root bound before blooming.

• plumbago1122
    6 years ago

I bought mine from the premium nursery in our area. It is quite large and in the ground, so no way it can get rootbound. Keepin( my fingers crossed.....have only had it for eight months or so.

• jasminegal
    6 years ago

Yours will bloom plumbago. For me this north its a beautiful but a little headache plant *wink*. Since I have to winter it indoors its a really bothersome plant. Atleast if its a reliable bloomer I can get along with it but after 2 yrs if a plant doesn't bloom and takes space not really worth it. But since yours is in the ground and you don't have go through all this stuff it will definitely bloom soon enough.

• plumbago1122
    6 years ago

One final word - when I bought it, it had a few blooms on it. So - hope springs eternal

• Mae Auditore Pistiglitz
    5 years ago

I found a way to make my stephanotis grow and bloom real fast. I bought it from the flower market, attached on a small trellis. The first couple of days i put it on the balcony away from direct light, it shed ALL of it's flowers. Then i put it on the ground. For 2 months it did nothing. We are currently in beginning of summer now in Italy, i bought it in April, during spring time.

One day about 10 days ago i decided to take it out of her spot, planted a geranium angel wing there, then i planted the stephanotis right beside it, i released her from her trellis and circled her vine on the geranium up to the wooden trellis behind them that separate my balcony with the neighbor. As i was cleaning my kitchen i saw a nescafe gold still full and has expired so i dumped all on the stephanotis ground.

3 days later it sprouted new vine branches everywhere, and won't stop growing. Then i start to see the buds at the end of the vines.

I guess, having another plant so close keeps her humid and happy. She needs a friend.

• calebannie
    5 years ago

I took a tip from someone on here - gave it a couple spoonsful of Epsom Salts. A week or so later, it's blooming for the first time!! Even after the weekend of 115 degree heat we had here in Los Angeles!

• calebannie
    5 years ago

AND...I think the Nescafe Gold is acidic, like the Epsom Salts, Mae! So it might have been the Nescafe instead of (or in addition to?) the "friend" plant!

• calebannie
    4 years ago

Just checking in again - Again I put about a half cup of coffee grounds and then about the same amount of Epsom salts, and again within a week, several clusters of blooms. They must really like the acidity! Los Angeles, CA.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    3 years ago

I bought a small (6 leaves or so but most likely a cutting propagation) stephanotis exactly one year back. It was indoors for the winter in a sunny SE window, had a cool unheated month in january, grew some last fall winter, a lot more in spring outdoors in partial western sun but no buds till I spied tiny buds yesterday. I am not sure what triggered the blooms, the ironite I fed a couple of times, some epsom salt a month back or so, the watering getting neglected to the extent that leaves become soft, droopy, wilty, the dry cold windy weather off late. Anyhow, I am thrilled. I will update how this turns out.

• ColleeninMHD 6a
    2 years ago

Can you please help me identify this plant, I think it might be stephanotis. It is huge and I am trying to decide how to transition it to inside ( zone 6a ) it is about to get cold here.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

nope. Not Stephanotis. It looks like trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine) or trachelospermum asiaticum (asiatic jasmine), more likely the former. Did it bloom for your this spring summer with white flowers then it is the former, the latter rarely bloom for most of us.

• ColleeninMHD 6a
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for your response! I never got to see the blooms. When I got it 7/21, it was bare. I left it outside since then. Lots of rain. It doubled its size. I need to research how to transitioning to indoors and what to feed it. Mist it? I am going to look it up now.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

do you have a cool garage that does not freeze? Then you could cut it back withhold water mostly and overwinter that way. They are a bit cold hardy but not to zone 6 in a pot. If you don't have a cool non-freezing place then grow as a houseplant. Give it the sunniest place you can.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Don't feed in winter.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    2 years ago

Do NOT feed them in the winter

• ColleeninMHD 6a
    2 years ago

I trimmed it up and transplanted it to a terracotta pot. I just water it in the winter (indoors)? I can’t give it any food? I have a sunroom that faces East, South and West. Hopefully, it will fit in there with my other Jasmine and citrus.

• ColleeninMHD 6a
    2 years ago

It is still alive in my sunroom. It drinks like a gallon of water each week! It is in my sun room which gets southern sun. Also artificial lighting. All my other plants ( citrus and Jasmine Sambac are setting buds). Can someone please show me what the flowers might look like on this bad boy?