Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Huge gardenia question? Please read..Thank you!

meyermike_1micha
9 years ago

I was hoping someone would know since I would really love to have one, but I am hestitant to buy..

Is there such a thing as a Gerdenia that will profuesly bloom without special temp contol?

You will notice that all the ones bought at stores are always LOADED with blooms, but this never happens again once you buy one for us Northerners the following year..
Mine just stay green and healthy{{gwi:807}}. I've already thrown all away except giffted ones because of this..I'm tired of gardenias occupying space without flowers year after year.

I have heard it's because they are greenhouse controlled under the perfect growing conditions to occomplish this...
I can't provide that..All I can do is subject them to my greenhouse temps and the outdoors which can fluctuate all the time..

So if there is a gardenia that is not fussy about setting blooms and will under most circumstances, I would love to know..

Thank you very much..

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 19:12

Comments (9)

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Mike,
    I gave up growing gardenias indoors after several tries,they are too finicky. I grow jasmines, plumerias and other tropicals without any problems but this one somehow attracts all kinds of bugs and other problems.

I would recommend you to try hardy varieties that you can plant outside. I had good experience with growing them outside the following varieities (chuck hayes, frostproof, crown jewel and there is a new hardy variety called summer snow). Among all crown jewel and summer snow are noted as hardy for zone 6 too. My plants grew 3ft tall/across but died due to severe winter last time where we had below zero for longer period. If I had protected them with some heavy mulch or burlap they would have survived.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kandhi. Thanks!

I would try a hardy gardenia outside but unfortunately I'm in a zone 5. That might be just tooooooo cold since I average below 0 many times each winter with howling winds.

That does bring something up though. I wonder if anyone has ever been successful with growing any variety this far up north even protected in ground?
    If I'm not mistake, I think they would loose their leaves or course but I wonder if they would just go dormant until uncovered?

Mike

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

I saw gardenia radicans as house plant in Michigan. It was blooming happily.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We'll. I just spoke to a professional grower of gardenia and they said it's quite easy to get them to re bloom and that it's a MUST to let a cold period hit them.

They said that I should not bring them in until late fall even letting a light frost hit them. It's a chill that set blooms for the next coming season. They have to be tricked into thinking its a different season.

If always kept warm, they will grow leaves comfortably without any use for flowers. We'll. I'll be. Lol

Going to give that a try this coming fall. I'm hoping the cold nights this past spring as of late triggered blooms on one of mine. We shall see. Lol

Mik

• kandhi
    9 years ago

Mike, Zone5, I am not sure if there are any gardenia's that survive outside in that zone. You may want to search the web on that info and try one..

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Mike!!

Good luck, I know you have had success before!!!

;-)

Still have the " old fashioned " one I sent to you?

Take care,

Laura

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey my friend!!! Where have you been?

Of course I do. Your the only one that gifted me these things.

It's doing ok and still in it original awesome soil you made. I wish it would flower for me. Hopefully some day soon. I keep it in the greenhouse. It's in a prime spot. Now I'm wondering if that is the right thing to do or put it outside?

So good to see you. Many hugs from my family here!!!

Mike

• User
    9 years ago

Mike,
    Put the gardenia you have outside.
    Think Rhododendrum.
    That is what they are like.
    They hate pots, like Rhodos
    They love mulch, like Rhodos.
    THey like cool nights, and can cold, as long as it's not prolonged,
    Why don't you try building some kind of a little gardenia house over it for the winter?
    And mulch it real good.
    You will be surprised at how hardy alot of gardenias are.
    Wood on 4 sides, mabey plexiglass or an old glass window above it for sunlight in the winter.
    Or greenhouse it but wait til after Thanksgiving, they really do need some cold to flower.
    And a little neglect. LOL

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Hi Mike!!!

I agree with Butterfly.. Put her outside and pot her up into a bigger container!! You know the mix that I used and you of all people can make it well!! ;-). I used the 5-1-1 on yours!!!

Acclimate to full sun and it will love it!! The others that i sent out to Robert and Mike have done well, so I know yours will be fine too!!!

Working hard and taking care of all of my plumeria!! I think I have to many! Never.... ;-)

Grand baby takes up my time as well, but its a good thing!!! I love it!!!

Hope you are well and you all are warming up finally! What an awful winter we have had!! I did lose one palm , but the ones in the backyard are all doing well. I had to hurricane cut the Butias , but they are pushing fronds!! Thank goodness.. I was so worried!!!

Give mom a big hug for me and sending more to you as well!!!!

Take good care,

Xo

Laura