Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

My 'Daniel Weeks' ginger finally bloomed!

How sweet it is!

My Hedychium 'Daniel Weeks' finally bloomed! I've been waiting for almost a year. ;)

How sweet it is! Smells like honeysuckle to me.

Can't wait to sniff it when the sun goes down (the scent is supposed to intensify at night).

-Robert

Comments (11)

• kemistry
    11 years ago

MMMMmm Honeysuckle!! :) The ginger flowers are so pretty too. :)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, they are lovely, Kemistry!
    I think one of these days you're going to have to visit my garden in Tulsa and get away from the Portland gloom for a few days. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not good with scent descriptions but last night I was detecting hints of Aglaia odorata (Chinese Perfume Plant) and then this morning I compared the scent to a nearby honeysuckle bloom (Lonicera periclymenum) and I can see similarities however the ginger has different scents, almost like peppermint ice cream or something. Laugh.
    I only have two open flowers so I'm sure I'll change my mind later on when more blooms open.

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Robert, beautiful flowers. I still wait for my unknown named ginger to grow big enough to bloom, maybe next year.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

I also love the foliage of these ginger plants. They are so pretty! (Reminds me of corns.. I love corn's leaves too.)

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Robert, that looks pretty. The only problem with these gingers is they grow too big and take too much space and do not bloom much.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kandhi!

I agree that they grow large (mine are in huge pots) but that also means you get to share them with friends when they out grow their pots. ;)
    I chose 'Daniel Weeks' since I've read it's one of the earliest to bloom and so far I agree.
    Mine are covered in flower spikes.
    The first one I bought back in the start of July 2011 and it hasn't bloomed yet (but has flower spikes developing).
    The second I purchased late...maybe November of last year...and it's the first to bloom!
    When I get more blooms I'll post updates. :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

What lovely blooms Robert! I would love to grow Hedychiums, would they be able to bloom if planted on the north side of a wall? (That's the only planting ground I have).

Dar

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dar!

Does the spot get morning/evening sun? If it's strictly shade I doubt you would get any blooms. Mine get direct sun for an hour or so in the morning then dappled light until about 4pm. After that I have to roll them from underneath the arbor when I get home from work to receive filtered light threw an oak tree. Labor of love, eh?
    I've got some other Hedychiums in the ground (I'll have to dig them up in the fall) that receive direct sun until about 2 or 3 then filtered light. I was shocked to see a flower spike forming on my 'Peach Delight'. This has H. coronarium as one of its parents and the Plant Delights site states the following about its scent - 'The fabulous honeysuckle-like fragrance is superb.'
    H. coronarium's scent makes me swoon however it does take a long time for it to bloom so fingers crossed that one of its children does have some of its fabulous scent! :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: So many gingers to choose from!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an update for the first of July. Daniel Weeks is covered in flower spikes. There are 3 flower spikes in full bloom on this plant.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert! Beautiful. I'l, bet you are excited! Get a hold of this one.

I never thought ginger flowered like that or even smelled good..ok.lol

Mike