Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

I threw my gardenia out of the house!

mersiepoo
15 years ago

I told it "fine, since you obviously don't care about me or MY needs, hit the road!" Or hit the back of the deck, actually. I put it out there in the sunny part and gave it some water and LEFT. I didn't look back. Then later I peeked out the window to see if it was still there. It was. Lounging on the back of the deck, soaking up the sun. Here is a picture of the exiled plant.

Comments (35)

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Mersiepoo,

Although I am "so very much" enjoy your drama, but I think Gardenia has neither ear nor brain.

You have to use a scientific approach. Here is a picture of my new Gardenia babies:

{{gwi:799733}}

• User
    15 years ago

Sweetheart,
    It's alright.
    Don't let the plant get to ya that much.
    The good news is, it's still alive!
    It has new leaves!
    You know the realtionship is going to be a love hate relationship. You will love it again.
    Does it take full sun? (jsut wondering).
    I went to Walmart last weekend and bought a watering indicator for 4.99.
    It tells me when to water the gardenia.
    Thank God!
    It works!
    Just try it, one last try for 4.99, (which you could use for other plants also).
    You know you want to try again, we all try again.
    Good Luck, it will live and bloom again.
    Tell your self this anyway.
    LOL

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Wow, Mersie, yours looks just like mine did this spring! When it died a few weeks later despite intensive care, I composted its sorry *$s and put some lilies in the pot instead. Much less trouble.

Of course, now I'm eyeballing the gardenias at the local flower shop ....

It's enough to make me support genetic engineering, in the hopes of creating a bulletproof gardenia!

Jim

• erict
    15 years ago

Whoa. That soil in the pots screams "I'm Hyponex soil I never drain!"

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Snasxs...how do you DO that??? Did you grow them yourself?

How do you make them look so beeeyoootiful? Do tell! Strangely enough, my gardenia is starting to grow more. I refuse to say "Die", at least inwardly.

Butterfly, lol! Don't worry, I'm totally serene inside, I'm just adding the text as drama. Sort of a passion play, I guess? Hey, if it lives, great! If not, I'm getting a Belmont to replace it's sorry #@$. :)

Jim, you would be a Gazillionaire if you could invent a real gardenia that actually can LIVE and bloom like normal plants do, without having to resort to prayer, begging and bribery.

Erict, actually I pulled the dang thing out of it's pot, and there are just roots there, nothing else, ha! I guess you could say it's totally rootbound, but I read that they actually *Like* that?? I don't believe ANYTHING I read about gardenias.

BTW, my folks came to visit, and I showed them my pitiful plant. They said that an aunt of my dad's had a HUGE 4 foot 'denia that she had in a large pot, said all she did to it was put it in the shower and soak it, then let it stay in there with the water for an hour. And that was it!

Then she gave it to my mom and my mom killed it. Maybe offing gardenias runs in our family (on my mothers side).

• User
    15 years ago

Mersipoo,
    I want a "First Love".
    That is my next gardenia.
    I haven't banged my head against the wall enough yet!
    LOL!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

You guys are too funny. Like butterfly said, try, try again. Mersie, yours is not dead...keep the faith, I also see new growth. Good Luck!

butterfly, I just googled "First Love", no wonder you want one, its Beautiful . Looks a little bit like my "Miami Supreme". If you get one, we wanna see it...

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG Butterfly and Puglvr...I just read that First love had flowers that are FIVE INCHES ACROSS!!! NOW I WANT ONE TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...and Wayside has them...OH NO!! I...I CAN'T CONTROL MY ARM!!! IT'S REACHING FOR MY CREDIT CARD!!! MY OTHER HAND IS CLICKING ON THEIR "ORDER NOW" BOX....HELP MEEEEEEE!!!

LOL! Yeah I am an addict. I can't afford food/gas/taxes but I'm going to buy those gardenias to kill, ha ha!

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mersie, we all belong to a very exclusive club, the PAA (Plant Addicts Anonymous)tried to sign up for a few classes, but they are all filled up, waiting for vacancy, LOL...

If you decide to buy that Gardenia, we want Pics...

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha ha!!!! Yeah, PAA has such a huge membership, it's hard to get in there....

If I do buy a first love or a belmont, I'll send before and aftermath pics....

I just spied my fragrant plum rose outside with a bloom on it..first one I've seen for years! Deer eating them down ya know....now I'm getting into my rose addiction again! Only own root roses for me from now on! :D

If any of you get first love, I want to see pics too! We can compare death rates, how fast our leaves drop off, how many buds turn black and die, etc, etc.

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Mersiepoo, I sear your Gardenias are not angry at you. You must love them very much. From a psychologist perspective, your reaction is close to a parent losing her child. You should just go buy a "soil humidity meter". I bought mine from WM for $12. Then you are all set for 100% success.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Snasxs..is that your secret recipe to getting totally fabulous looking plants (she asks, hands clasped prayer-like)????

I'd have to go to Target, I boycott Wallyworld....

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Within seconds of coming awake, he felt a chill at the back of his neck that had nothing to do with the cold air seeping in through the window cracked open by his bed. What held him totally still, eyes on that inch of open window was the fragrance of Gardenia that came from beyond. "Yes, the soil humidity meter" cried a silent voice, but he remained inert. Barely breathing,"It is the key", cried that silent voice, more urgent now, and he thought of the rifle that was mounted high above the front door, out of reach at this time. But he couldn't move -- couldn't move -- other than to turn his head toward the window.

• longriver
    15 years ago

Snasxs: Just looking at the picture, I guess that your new pot is good for everygreen-vine house plant, not suitable for gardenia. The potting mix might become too wet or constant wet at lower layer (for one or two years) that eventually will damage the root of gardenia. I wish I made a mistake to guess your situation. It is much better to have regular black plastic pot with large drains openings. A nice outer cover-container would enhence the look.

• rickl144
    15 years ago

Hi Mersipoo,

I usually hang out with the rose folks, but pop in on this forum once in a while. When I spot your postings here, Gardenias are almost always the subject du jour! Have you considered changing your handle to...Gardeniamania? Smiles!

Rick (fragrant plant lover and ignorer of one struggling Gardenia! At the end of last year, there were two...)

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think the humidity watering is the problem Snasxs, because overwatering/underwatering wouldn't cause the leaves to turn yellow in the veins and drop off, that would be a deficiency of some sort, right? Overwatering/underwatering would cause the leaves to turn black and fall off, right?

Rick, you are so funny! I'm trying to control my addiction to gardenias...it's hard but I'm trying! :)

• longriver
    15 years ago

Under the condition of prolonged 'wet feet' would cause the gardenia plant sick and to die. The yellow leaves, a different issue, should be the balance of pH and available form of iron and other micro minerals etc.

Small drain only tends to increase the probability of root problem. If one can manage the proper drainage. potting mix, repotting or watering, then there is no problem here. There is also a good reason for production nurseries to use standard plastic container with proper size drain.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

mine had one leaf on it forever, at first it was a stick, i left it there and was gonna use it as a support for another plant, then it got leaves, OMG!!! LOL then another, and 1 more!! then i looked it up finally, they need acidity, so i just give them a pot of tea, cool of course and she just loves it, i call it a she cuz its so finaky and yes i can't spell, even though i have spell check!! LOL never bloomed and i've had it one year already. so i'm hoping this year it will bloom!! that would be really nice ~ :')) Medo

• mare2
    15 years ago

Oh, Honey, take it from someone who has been through this too many times--they sometimes change their ways when you kick them out, but don't fall for it. They will just go and break your heart as soon as you let them back in again. Bad news, all of them. Just go out and get another one and don't get attached. Though expensive, it's much less complicated. Maybe try a different type?

Also I vote for beating it with a stick. Name-calling helps, too.

• mare2
    15 years ago

In case youÂre looking for suggestions on names to call it, I personally use, "Shallow-rooted, acid-eating, yellow leafed Snark-Weed," but of course, there are variations on that. For example, "ÂSnark-Weed from hell" is good for when itÂs truly leafless.

You understand I have nothing against all plants. If you go get yourself a jasmine sambac ÂM of O,' wonÂt give you a lick of trouble except for maybe moping a bit over the darkest days of winter. Overall thereÂs just nothing sweeter. But if your heartÂs set on Gardenia and you donÂt mind spending the rest of your days catering, wellÂyou could always take your auntieÂs advice and try to hang on to it by showering with it. Sometimes those old gals will shock you with the secrets they know!

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Mare2,

I would not spend time angry at a failing plant. If I were you, I would just plant a couple white roses in my yard.

My problem with Jasmine Sambac "M of O" is that their flowers last for only a day or so. Their leaves are not shiny. Their flowers are smallish with thin petals. Over all evaluation: she is a little maid for Gardenia, the queen.

To distribute your frustration, I recommend you to try Franklinia which is a native American beauty.

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Long River, I agree with your observation. However, as experienced as I am, I have no problem using these pots (action: gesture arrogantly; arms crossed in front of the chest; eyes rolling toward the sky) especially with the soil-humidity meter.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mare2...HA! You know...I didn't try beating it with a stick! I better go find one. Should I use a willow, or is that too bendy?

Can those things get root bound? I had pulled it out of the pot and noticed that there is no more dirt left, it's just roots everywhere!

Ya know, my mom said her aunt would just give her gardenia a shower once a week, a nice hot one, and let it soak in the tub for an hour. Her gardenia was the size of the Chrysler building (or maybe a little smaller). :)

I have a Maid of Orleans, it's really nice and you can use the flowers to make jasmine water.

• longriver
    15 years ago

I had my sixth sense to picture your response. Therefore I already mentioned my guess was most hopefully not correct.

You have established your know-how to grow gardenia and your flower and plant is the proof.

Anyhow this is an interesting subject to discuss. I 'guess again' that due to too eager to take care of gardenia, many have problem to produce lush plant and flower. I totally agree with you that constant moist potting mix can cause on-set of root rot. keep the mix on dry side between watering is the key. Properly feed the plant is also important.
    I use drip system with only one spike so the potting mix is not totally wet. We are dry here in northern Cal. Generally no one drop rain from May to Oct.

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Mersie, you cannot beat it with a willow. Lol. If the root is good, it looks white with light green tone. If it looks brownish, it is gone.

Wow, drip system. We probably do not need that in the East Coast. There are rain and snow throughout the year. Do you agree, Mersie? Long River, you are not only a garden-expert but also an entrepreneur!

• skippy05
    15 years ago

Buy a Chuck Hayes Gardenia, they are hardy in our zone. I live in Philly & it is planted outside in our back yard.
    It is a few years old already & is currently blooming like crazy.
    And it is getting bigger & bigger!
    I don't think it has ever had so many blooms!
    I guess it is finally safe & secure in its home?!
    It didn't bloom at all the 1st year, but I was told it probably wouldn't. It is making up for it this year though!

I gave up trying to grow the gardenias in the pot in the house.............

I have jasmine also (inside) love it, but I agree, the tiny flowers only last a day or so...........

Get a Chuck Hayes, you won't regret it!

• kandhi
    15 years ago

I bought chuck hayes this year and planted it in the front yard, as skippy said it is blooming crazy. I hope it survives winter outside, they say it is hard to zone 7. Skippy - any advice for winter care?

• kasiec
    15 years ago

I have 3 Aimee/First Love gardenia sitting in a pot that I've forgotten/neglected. After reading all the comments here, I must start taking care of my 3 gardenias again.

Kasie

• User
    15 years ago

Mersipoo,
    what happened to your gardenia?
    Did you buy a new one?
    Post a pic of new one, I know you bought one.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Mercie, how are you doing? Its been a while since we heard from you...Hope your doing well. I am also curiuos to the fate of your gardenia. Please give us an update

I miss your hilarious posts, LOL!!

• beetle_2007
    15 years ago

Me too, Mersi, Please post us a pic!!

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm back!

I had a little trouble escaping from the asylum, but I finally snuck out. They don't have internet access, darn it! They were afraid I'd go and order another gardenia I guess..and I did! HA! I also ordered (for my mom, must get her into the cult as well) an african 'gardenia'...it doesn't smell like a gardenia, but I love the fragrance..and it's blooming already! HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

Anyway, I got a "Belmont". The #@$# FED EX driver tried to kill him in transit..I just know he did! Gary told me that he did. But, he's still alive. Oh yeah. Almost forgot. The plant told me that his name is "Gary" and that if I do certain "things" for him, do them without question, that he will actually bloom for me. Oh and give me good lottery numbers. I don't know...he sounds like he's just leading me on.

I REALLY want to trust him...but I just don't know. He seems to be rather evasive. He's also got a horrible chain smoking habit. He's already cost me 40 bucks for a carton of Virginia Slims, and he refuses the generic smokes.

Here are some pictures..he wanted me to get his 'good' side, but I didn't know which one that was.

So has anyone else killed their loves lately? I included a pic of my maid of orleans (it's actually living, don't ask me why) as well.

I missed you guys! You can only enjoy shots of Throrazine for a few weeks before they get old.

Here's my MO

I also bought some liquid iron with other trace minerals..seems to be loved by my citrus plants and the jasmine too. So we shall see! :D

here's the african gardenia, not sure if she is married to gary or if they are 'just friends'. She sure is a show off though, eh?

PS: Oh yeah..almost forgot to add this. Remember my first gardenia? Well, it kept teasing me. I was ready to throw it out, it had lost all of its leaves, despite my locating it in the nicest sunniest spot on the back deck, plenty of humidity. Then, when I was going to evict it from it's home, I noticed a GREEN thing starting to come out of the dirt! I couldn't believe it. So, since the soil was dry as a bone...I watered it. I started to hope! Then, I noticed the next day the leaf started turning black. I threw the plant over the deck...it was already dead so it didn't scream. I think I did. After that I woke up strapped to a bed in a hospital. I must have blacked out from my 'grief' or something.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Mersiepoo, I am soooo GLAD to see you back!! We have missed your hilarious posts, forum hasn't been quite the same without you, LOL... Welcome back, girl...a lot of us has missed you...

You have not disappointed us with your story above! I'm glad you got another gardenia, I knew you would. Keep us updated on its progress and lots of luck...let me know the lottery number "Gary" picks out, I can use an extra million myself,Ha, Ha...

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Mersie, I hope you had a great summer vacation!
    Your gardenia looks healthy. The potting mix looks right! Great.

The only thing: the stems look too thin. They look like the side-kicks of my plants. The flowers on these are usually smaller. Where do you get the new plant?

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Pugluvr..it's nice to be missed! :D So far Gary only gave us one powerball number that hit, the rest were misses. Hmm, maybe he's rusty. But guess what...he's GOT VD! Specifically, THRIPS... I just noticed this today, I was looking at him and noticed a few lower leaves were sort of 'silvery' looking, which I thought was odd. Then I turned the undersides of the leaves over and saw them..crawling around! Argh! I immediately banished him outside to the end of the deck, hopefully he didn't infect my other plants with his secret shame! I think (hope) I caught it in time..man what a deal, huh?

Hi Snasxs! Actually I didn't have any vacation this summer, except hanging out at the house, lol!

Ugh, today as you may have just read, I found out that it has thrips!! I got it from Logees...luckily I don't think the other plants I got from them are infected..geez I'm glad I looked! I took it outside as far away as I could from my other plants. None of my plants have thrips, a few of my outdoor plants have aphids, but that is all. I can't believe Gary has VD!