Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Plants outside? Mist them!

mehitabel
12 years ago

If your plants are outside and you're not misting them, you'll be astonished at the results if you do.

Misting Osmanthus produced more new growth, both at the tips and along the stem. It also brings on flower buds. The effect of misting is most marked on this one.

Gardenias, jasmines, aglaia, michelia figo, artabotrys-- misting these regularly produces new growth along the stem.

Try it, you'll be delighted. Takes maybe three weeks to start to see the little nubbins of growth begin.

Comments (2)

• kandhi
    12 years ago

Mehitabel, when do you mist them, I mean in the morning, afternoon or evening?

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Khandi, I mist them when I visit them in the morning and evening, whenever I water them, and during the day if I'm home and feel like taking a break to go look at them. Just mist them whenever I'm out there.

They love it, especially when it's really hot or windy. I got this idea from someone who was on this forum several years ago and set up an automatic misting system for his plants. Can't remember his name, but he got such wonderful results from misting them several times a day, I started doing it by hand as often as I could. Also, I love playing with the hose :P

If it were cold or pretty cool, I probably wouldn't do it. You know, wet cold = disaster. But here, it's actually quite hot in the sun even on a pretty brisk day, so it doesn't overdo the watering.

On Osmanthus, the effect is really astounding.

If you try it, I hope you'll post about your results. I'd like to know if you get the same results, you have such a green thumb for fragrants.