Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants outside? Mist them!

Posted by mehitabel z6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 20:06

If your plants are outside and you're not misting them, you'll be astonished at the results if you do.

Misting Osmanthus produced more new growth, both at the tips and along the stem. It also brings on flower buds. The effect of misting is most marked on this one.

Gardenias, jasmines, aglaia, michelia figo, artabotrys-- misting these regularly produces new growth along the stem.

Try it, you'll be delighted. Takes maybe three weeks to start to see the little nubbins of growth begin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants outside? Mist them!

Mehitabel, when do you mist them, I mean in the morning, afternoon or evening?

o
RE: Plants outside? Mist them!

Khandi, I mist them when I visit them in the morning and evening, whenever I water them, and during the day if I'm home and feel like taking a break to go look at them. Just mist them whenever I'm out there.

They love it, especially when it's really hot or windy. I got this idea from someone who was on this forum several years ago and set up an automatic misting system for his plants. Can't remember his name, but he got such wonderful results from misting them several times a day, I started doing it by hand as often as I could. Also, I love playing with the hose :P

If it were cold or pretty cool, I probably wouldn't do it. You know, wet cold = disaster. But here, it's actually quite hot in the sun even on a pretty brisk day, so it doesn't overdo the watering.

On Osmanthus, the effect is really astounding.

If you try it, I hope you'll post about your results. I'd like to know if you get the same results, you have such a green thumb for fragrants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here