Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spinning primrose

Posted by lives2grow z5IN (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 27, 06 at 20:24

Is anyone else growing "spinning primrose"? I've grown it for several years, but never hear anyone else mention it. It is one of the most fragrant plants I've ever smelled. One plant is perfuming a large part of my back yard right now. It is a species of Oenothera. It is biennial & blooms at night & on cloudy days. The hummingbird moths like it. The first year it produces a rosette of leaves close to the ground. In its second season it sends up 3'-4' flower stalks. The blooms are yellow & smell wonderful. I only had to plant them one year-it reseeds very well! Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spinning primrose

• Posted by mare2 5bSt.Louis (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 9:14

Do you know which Oenothera it is? Is yours the one that twists open while you watch (see the last listing, 'Tina James,' below)? I get that one on alternate years but don't get a chance to smell it much because I have it in a distant corner of the yard due to the height and self-sowing habit. But you're making me want to move it to a better spot! Thanks for bringing it up! 'Mare

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Scent Gardens

o
RE: spinning primrose

The tag at the nursery just said "spinning primrose". It doesn't have enough petals to be "Tina James", but it does unfurl before your eyes, like the description says. I've looked in all of my books, & on the internet,& my best guess is O. biennis. One sight had 65 varieties! None of them looked exactly right. The leaves have a very prominent pink vein down the middle, & that's not mentioned in any of the descriptions. I've fallen in love with this plant all over again this year. I plan to save a lot of seeds & help it spread. I'm going to try it in some areas were nothing else has been successful. Even my teenage sons have been fascinated by it this year, though they wouldn't want to admit it :). One son has been trying to catch some unusual moths for his 4-H entomology project, so he's been keeping an eye on the evening bloomers. Thanks for writing! Happy smelling! Carla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here