Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonscone

Michelia Alba Seed Confusion

cinnamonscone
18 years ago

I've been lurking on this site for a few years, and for the first time my curiosity is leading me to ask a question. I ordered a bunch of tropical seeds earlier this year from a site the forum won't let me post. Well, none of the seeds germinated at all. Among the seeds were Plumeria (which I have gotten to germinate from other sources), Hedychium, Climbing Ylang Ylang, Michelia Champaca, and Michelia Alba. I mostly placed the order for the Michelia Alba seeds (I enjoy a challenge). Now, I've read on this forum that these seeds are not viable, so I wasn't surprised by my lack of success. I sent an e-mail to the site since I wasted $20 on the stupid seeds. They replied this was highly unusual, and I should contact a Dr. there.

I did so, and this insufferably smug man told me I did not follow the directions on the seed packet (ha, 2 lines of directions!) He told me on the phone that the seeds usually germinate for him in 3 to 4 weeks. When I was surprised and told him I'd heard they weren't viable, he scoffed and told me there is a lot of bad information on the internet. He said he goes back and forth from Ecuador all the time, and the seeds from there are fresh and always germinate for him. He also added that he usually only deals with other horticulturalists, not lay people. He gave me more detailed directions on germination (which I did not write down and now forget -- I guess I was flustered). When I asked him if they could make these details available on the site, he curtly replied that since he is so busy going back and forth to Ecuador, he doesn't have enough time. He said more Michelia Alba seeds would be available some time in August.

At this point I don't know whether to ignore his attitude and order the seeds again, or to forget it. He did refund my 20 dollars. :P What do you think? Anyone ever hear that Michelia Alba can grow from seed? I talked to a nursery in Florida that said they were never able to grow them from seed, but then admitted they had a squirrel problem. Who knew?

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area