Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Oleander

Virginia
17 years ago

I bought a 5' oleander grown as a standard at the end of last summer. Wintered it over in a sunny room and then moved it outside when the weather warmed. It has bloomed ever since, but each flower is sort of rimmed with a black edge. I don't know if that means too much sun, not enough water, not enough fertilizer or what. It's in a pot 14" in diameter and 12" deep, potted in topsoil. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ginny

Comments (7)

• ankraras
    17 years ago

I only know of two plants that go by the common name Oleander. One is Nerium and the other is Thevetia. Around here they are grown
    in full sun, meaning from sun up till sun down. Further, both plants appreciate a fare amount of drainage material incorporated into the
    soil. I would think completely back off on the fertilizer during the flowering period would be a real good idea.

Also, try letting the soil dry out 3/4 of the way down and flush the soil well with each and every watering. If this does not solve the problem
    for you post again toward the end of summer with a photo of the plant, a close up pic of flowers and leaves.

{{gwi:8337}}

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Thevetia has yellow flowers and much more delicate lighter green foliage so if yours had red, pink, peach or white flowers and strappy dark green leaves it is Nerium.

As advised, do not keep this plant moist! It is adapted to desert conditions and would not appreciate it and it isn't a heavy feeder, either.

• Virginia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your replies which I just found. (For some reason, replies aren't being forwarded to me, despite my checking the box for that.) I never heard of Thevetia and am grateful for the education.

I have definitely not overwatered it~it's always dry to a depth of 3" before I give it a drink. And it's in a pot that's small relative to its height.

I don't believe I've ever fertilized it, either! Benign neglect is my watchword for gardening. I wonder if it could be reacting to the styrofoam material of the pot? Or maybe it just hasn't been hot enough~but that should be cured almost immediately now that we've entered Washington's hottest months.

If it hasn't been cured in a month, I will break down and buy a digital camera.

Happy Fourth of July!
    Ginny

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Here is a pic of Thevetia

Here is a link that might be useful: Thevetia

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Here is the more common Nerium oleander. The foliage is similar but the blooms differ.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nerium oleander

• wild_acres
    10 years ago

I have a red nerium oleander and the blooms never fully mature but shrivle and die. has been planted 6mos or so in well drained soil. have tried permethrin in case of pests but that's doesn't seems to work. any suggestions would be helpful.

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

As well as Nerium oleander, I have yellow, peach and white Thevetia peruviana trees AKA Lucky nut . All are very each to grow and enjoy full sun. I also have Thevetia ovata which looks totally different from it relations.Locally it is called 'The Christmas tree' due to the red seed pods that decorate the tree year round and the blooms resemble Papaya blooms.. Not a common plant.