Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arl_tom

Chuck Hayes Gardenia

Arl_Tom
17 years ago

After 5 years, Chuck Hayes Gardenia is finally reaching it's potential...

{{gwi:800014}}

Comments (10)

• kasiec
    17 years ago

Very nice. Your Gardenia looks so healthy.

Kasie

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

It probably smells even better than it looks, kasie! My three August Beaties are growing again from scratch after a rough winter where I lost all growth above ground. I have not smelled a gardenia in almost two years now. Brother.... I was planning to replace the August Beauties with another variety like yours but (a) I forgot to order one and (b) I discovered the AB's growing back so I postponed their replacement. Good luck with yours and enjoy, Luis

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Mmmmm, sweet!

My Kleim's hardy just opened a half-dozen buds, probably in response to a weekend of rain and cooler temps -- I'll try and get a pic before they turn to mush!

Jim

• Arl_Tom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. I would grow August Beauty here if I could, since the flower form is much nicer than Chuck Hayes. I agree that Kleim's Hardy is also excellent and is a good companion to Chuck Hayes because it blooms a few weeks earlier than Chuck. Kleim's seems to have a much bigger impact in my yard in terms of scent because it tends to bloom mostly all at once. It was powerful when I took this picture in early June.

{{gwi:800015}}

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Wow!

• luis_pr
    17 years ago

Oh, man! I wish we could send gardenia scent thru the Internet!

Luis

PS - I think my dogs would faint from the scent of all those flowers! Nice photo!

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Simply bringing up this blooming delight trend for others who have not yet seen it. Looking for your contribution on other gardenia in
    the future as well.

{{gwi:8337}}

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Holy gardenias!

I was going to post a picture of my own "Kleim's Hardy", but you've got me way outclassed here! It's a great cultivar for containers as well as in-ground plantings, IMHO.

Jim

• jeff_al
    17 years ago

that is one floriferous shrub! the flowers look very similar in form to my 'daisy' gardenia (about 2" dia. on that one; small but strongly scented).
    i was not familiar with the 'kleim's hardy' until this pic.
    gardenias bloom earlier here and are normally finished by early-to-mid june.
    i usually get a second smaller flush from 'august beauty' in late summer.

• longriver
    17 years ago

The flower display is surely impressive. When all the elements are correct, so many flowers are bursting. I have some similar gardenias which were germinated from the tiny flaky seeds. I have many gardenias in containers, placed at different areas in my backyard. So far I have three types of single flower form gardenia. One is about round petals in shape, the other with wide petal, slightly point tip. The third is of narrow petals with point tip. They all produce similar gardenia fragrance. Some plants show massive blooms and some give a few at longer duration( might be affected by the location and cultivation). Likewise I have about many Michelia abla in containers. When I walk on my backyard path, the fragrance will be there.