Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hmmm...not a planned purchase; any advice?

Posted by lucidity 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 21:33

Hi all,
As it happens I fell into the trap of walking by a plant I just couldn't pass up. It was a 2 gallon Jasmine, no variety name but in standard form. It has glossy dark green leaves and clusters of smallish white flowers on the ends. It smelt like heaven so I had to have it. I enjoyed the blooms for a few days and of coarse now it has nothing left and I don't know how to care for it. I doubt very much it would survive our winters in Canada (southern Ontario) but I'm okay with bringing it inside.
I haven't repotted it because I was hoping the blooms would last longer but now I need to know:

1. Should I repot it? or will I never see blooms again?!
2. What exposure would be best for it?
3. Best soil conditions (acidity)
4. It has some residue (whitish) on the leaves that I can't wash off, what could it be?
Any other info that would be helpful like variety, tips to promote blooming etc?

Thank you very much for your help and patience in my new passion, trying to make out of zone plants stay healthy and bloom up a storm (well I think I'm in good company though..lol)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hmmm...not a planned purchase; any advice?

Jasmine blossoms tend to last only a single day. Prune the spent blossoms, and it will branch and create new growth on which it blooms again. It likes full sun, but will tolerate shade. Let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. I use basic MiracleGrow potting soil. They are not fussy plants as long as they don't sit in water and you keep your humidity up (50%) in the winter time. The only fertilizer I have used on them are Osmicote.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here