Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandhi_gw

jasmine nitidum

kandhi
11 years ago

Jasmine nitidum is doing wonderful this year with tons of buds about to open anytime now..

Comments (10)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Wow! You've got tons of buds! :)
    Such a gorgeous plant. Just wish the scent was stronger.

Mine looked like that a month ago. It's got buds forming again but not as many as yours (mine is getting too much shade from a brugmansia).

Good job!

-Robert

• kandhi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I fragrance is strong in morning for an hour or so, fresh clean fragrance. I agree it is not as strong as j.sambac varieties. It performs well in full sun.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

So I saw this plant and thought, if I'm going to murder get another jasmine, I should choose a different one this time, like this pretty thing with the hot pink buds. Is it J. nitidum also? Compared to no jasmine, this smells in-wow-credible!

Is your amazing plant still around kandhi?

11 years ago

How can people not have anything to say about this plant? Unusual? Its' nickname, or one of them, is Florida jasmine. Don't think I've ever seen one before, maybe they're not usually sent up north as house plants, this was in the outdoor plants section.

I give it a prime spot by the front porch, in the ground. It's of questionable hardiness here, but that should be a microclimate spot, the best one in full sun in the whole yard, an easy spot to cover with leaves for added insulation. Some cane Begonias overwintered there last winter, although that's weak considering the lack of real cold, just occasional frosty nights.

Going to want to propagate a backup just in case... any advice? Its' structure and general vibe are similar to Gardenia, which propagates easily. Just wish this thing was bigger, not a whole lot to work with here. Would love to have some babies to trade too...

Lost the pic in edit last time.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purpleinopp, My j.nitidum is still around, it is tough one to kill if you provide it a sunny spot and water on need basis. I have it indoors now and will move it outdoors next month. I june it will be packed with buds and blooms. I am not sure in having it in ground because they cannot take cold temp below 40s I guess. I maintain all my jasmines in pots. You will love the fragrance. This is one of the easy variety of jasmine to maintain.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hello Kandhi and Purple!

I was wondering if this plant is worth keeping?

I bought a small 3 inch potted one and it has yet to grow or give me flowers since March.
    That's a beauty of a picture there.

Mike:-)

11 years ago

Sorry, I have no idea what to tell y'all up north. It's supposed to be root-hardy here but will defoliate, but I'm just going by trusted sources, just got this a couple weeks ago.

Mike, might just be waiting for more heat?

My little shrub sure looks perky this morning after last nights' storm. Hope you get to smell this one, so similar to Gardenia, to my olfactory sense.

• kandhi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, I am not that fond of this plant flowers fragrance as it is not comparable to other sabac varieties. I like the plant form, look of the flowers when it blooms. Th fragrance is not very strong but very pleasant. For me it is a keeper as it is low maintenance and doesn't have spider mites problem like other jasmine varities. Wait couple of months, you should see it start budding.

11 years ago

Awww, a beautiful smell is in the nose of the holder! Sorry this one doesn't turn you on. I agree though, it's nothing like a sambac Jasmine. Now that I've moved to a warmer place, I've found a Jasmine that likes being in a pot - and put it in the ground. Excellent irony!

Have you attempted to propagate it?

10 years ago

This is starting to bloom in earnest again.

How are other people's plants doing?