Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenia 'fun'

Posted by scottlk San Diego (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 21:57

I showed my wife the suicidal gardenia thread, and after she stopped laughing we went out to get a couple gardenias. I think she did it just to torture me :-)

We got two monrovia "first love" gardenias. A big 30 dollar one, and a small "backup" for 10. We then hit walmart to get some perlite and miracid, and found a "gradenia spc." for 3 dollars and got that too. We planted the wally world plant first, and within 1 week it's single little flower bloomed and smelled wonderful. The 30 dollar gardenia is still in a pot basicly doing nothing - not declining and not really growing. The 10 dollar gardenia is planted and just starting to drop buds - but I think I might have forgot to water it one too many days. Apparently the walmart version thrives on the abuse, and the named monrovia ones maybe like a little more TLC. I guess we can just keep going out every few months to buy another 3 dollar walmart version and enjoy a bloom once in a while if we have too :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenia 'fun'

Well, apparently they all like the abuse - the big guy now has 2 flowers and the other little guy has one opening.

I did notice that the generic walmart gardenia species was more fragrant / sweeter than the first love, but the first love had a better looking flower that still smelled great, just not as good as the other.

o
RE: Gardenia 'fun'

• Posted by grwleye z9/Sunset 22/CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 05 at 21:53

You'll be sorrrrryyy!!! ;) Seriously, I think you're right----leave them alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here