fragrantgrower

Possible flower bud on Michelia alba?

I sure hope so!

Will post pics if it happens. :)

-Robert

Comments (21)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Congrats Robert! Yes. That is definitely a bud. When the sheathe on the flower bud comes off you will notice that it fitted tighter around the flower bud.

While the sheathes on a leaf growth is more loose, elongated, and usually more pale in color.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woo hoo!

Thanks, Dar!

Hopefully soon I'll finally experience what everyone has been talking about for years now. Laugh.

-Robert

• kemistry
    10 years ago

What an awesome sight. You'll love its fragrance, I promise! It smells a bit like..Well, it's hard to describe but very exciting to experience. Like standing under an apple tree with many fruits ripened above. A very complex scent. Are you super excited now? Lol. : )

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Woo hoo is right, Robert!

Congrats! It does smell yummy. I didn't know if I wanted to rub my face in it or chew on it....

This Saturday I drove my mom and sister to Logee's. It took an hour and 35min but worth every minute. I made this trip because of the Fragrant forum. :-)

I was experiencing a horrible case of fragrant and zone envy! hahaha

This trip was actually a surprise for my mom since she loves gardening. My mom was in heaven seeing and smelling tropical plants that reminded her of Laos. The look on her face was priceless.

I started gardening outside last fall. I now want to try growing indoor plants starting with something that smells incredible. I bit the bullet and bought a Michelia alba.

There was one already in bloom at the nursery but my mom and sister convinced me to buy the one that was not....something about the one I bought being a "stronger" looking plant. Mom's green thumb can't be wrong.

kemistry, may I email you to ask questions about your cuttings of the M. figo?

-Tina

Original Author
    10 years ago

Kem,

Okay. Yes. You're getting me excited! Laugh.

Tina,

Great story! That was so kind of you to take your mom there. Take me next! Laugh.
    I would love to visit Logee's some day (I live in Tulsa, OK though).

It is so hard to buy the best looking plant even when it's not the one in bloom. I'm sure the one they had you buy is the best and will start blooming in no time. :)
    So obviously you liked M. alba's scent?
    Can't wait to finally experience it for myself!

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Congrats Robert :D now all you need is some sun and humidity to get the full heavenly fragrance :) which should not be a problem as all we keep hearing over here is the the us is in some sort of crazy heat wave :P
    so just sit out side with a nice cold drink and enjoy :)

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Tina, good buy on that michelia alba! Yes, you are welcome to email me at anytime. : )

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Robert, I am so happy for you! Yahoo is right! You WILL love the scent,. Mines has been flowering for weeks now and still does.
    Hello Kemistry@!

Mike

• User
    10 years ago

Robert,
    Congrats on your bloom! It's exciting!
    You have everything!
    You will have to tell me what you think of the fragrance.
    Please, post a pic when it opens and blooms.
    I want to see it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Mike!

I've been wondering where you've been. Glad to see you're back! :)
    Can't wait to finally sniff a bloom!

Butterfly,

Ha! You know I'll post a pic and give my opinion of its scent. Laugh.
    And of course I don't have everything...though I'd like to. ;)
    I just ordered Clerodendrum bungei today thanks to your post!

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Guess what I ordered finally have one of these grafted plants. Need to repot it today, should I move this to 2 or 3 gallon container, do these do good in 5-1-1 soil mix or not?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kandhi!

So glad you got one as well! :)

I'm not an expert on this plant since I just got mine this year but I'm growing mine in a 15 inch pot using the 5:1:1 mix and so far so great!

I hope we like the scent of this legendary plant!

-Robert

• sunpetal
    10 years ago

I have a bowl of the blossoms sitting next to my bed as I write, they remind me of floral Juicy Fruit gum.. I love them.
    they scent of my whole bedroom , I like to smell them while I'm falling asleep. NUM

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Sun, yes! Great description....I guess I always thought it was the smell of ripe pears and apple mixed into one.
    Very light yet very strong..LOVE this tree. It is one of my faves...

Robert..How's the bud coming? One thing you will be glad to know is that they don't abort like gardenias or orchards, the buds that is.
    You either have them or you don't and you do. So you will, get a flower that is..:-)

MIke

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Yes Robert please let us know what has happened to you Alba flower bud ? i know my michelia maudiae bud seems to have got frozen in time! it is like semi-open been like that for about 5 days i can still smell the beautiful perfume tho :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Bud is growing but it looks like I've got a long way to go before it opens. Laugh.
    You can bet that I'll post a pic of the flower when it happens and give my thoughts on its scent! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally starting to open!
    My partner said it smells lovely and reminded him of melon ice cream. I laughed and told him that's what Fenius said!
    I'm hoping the bloom sticks around so I can smell it at different times of the day and night.
    So far I like the scent but I'm not swooning over it but I know it's early. :)

-Robert

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Awesome!

I've been waiting like it was my flower bud too.

Let us know how long the bloom lasts.

-Tina

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Robert, Wow! that's great it finally bloomed..

• fenius
    10 years ago

Well done Robert! When it has more it will waft beautifully, they don't last long but my 5 buds made my balcony smell heavenly for 10 days or so...it became a favourite of mine & I think the scent is better in the air than with your nose into the flower.. although I like that too!!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Still going strong!
    Looks like the petals turn up during the day and it fully opens at night?

Tina and Kandhi,

I hope yours blooms soon for you!

Fenius,

I think you're right. I'll be walking near the tree and smell a complicated scent that changes once I plunge my nose into the bloom. :)

-Robert