Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daish5

Help with star jasmines?

Daish5
10 years ago

Hi, so I'm a total flower newbie and about three months ago myÃÂ next door neighbor moved and just left this plant sitting outside. I actually thought it was dead because it was brown, but I moved it over to my porch and began watering it none the less. Well it's been blooming flowers and after a little reasearch I see that they're star jasmines! Now I'm pretty excited - they smell amazing! Along with some miniature roses I got as a gift (and almost killed) these are really the first flowers I've ever tried to keep. I live in San Diego by the way :)

These are the flowers:

Inside of pot:ÃÂ

Some brown leaves:

So far they've been getting watered almost daily (oops?), sitting in direct sunlight, and some of the leaves are brown. Today I cut off some of the brown leaf branches - was that the right thing to do? One branch was actually still alive I guess because when I cut it it was green inside and white stuff came out. I really hope that didn't damage it. Some branches seem dry even though there are healthy looking flowers on them. I'm not sure what that means so I just cut the ones with brown leaves and no flowers.ÃÂ

Do you think they need food soon? I'm not sure how to determine that.ÃÂ

My neighbor already has a metal arch thing for it to climb inside of the pot, but the branches aren't touching it and are way longer than it is tall. As you can see in the pictures some branches are just kind of crawling on the ground, but it looks like one short branch is heading towards a support beam (I need to move it away). I don't want them to be floor covers - I'm hoping to train them. ÃÂ

I live in an apartment and don't want them climbing up the building or anything attatched to it but I am interested in making a pretty display with them. Any ideas for that? Also since some are already kind of long (a foot or more maybe?) and seem weak can I still till train them to climb? Or do I trim off the long branches and start over?

Thanks in advance,

Daish.

Comment (1)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Hi Daish,

Congrats on your fragrant find!

The botanical name of your plant is Trachelospermum jasminoides.
    You want to let the soil dry out some between waterings. I suggest getting a moisture meter or sticking your finger into the mix to see if it needs water or not.
    When the soil feels dry the next time you water you can mix in some liquid plant food like Miracle-Gro or the even better Dyna-Gro.

You can always put a stake into the pot and tie the branches to the stake or get a fan shaped trellis and tie the branches to it.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Jasmine info