Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Jasmine should I get?

Posted by Puchinita5 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 22:23

I have never grown Jasmines before, and only recently started getting into growing flowers/plants in my apartment. So keep in mind i'm a newbie :)

My main questions are, which kind should I get, and where can I get it online?

I really like the look of what I think are "arabian knights" jasmines. I posted a photo of the type of petals I like the best. I read in a recent discussion here that "belle of india" is the most popular, but from what I am seeing, I don't like the long slender petals as much.

I'm not finding "arabian knight" varieties online (so far the only site I've found with already potted jasmines is Logee's, is there somewhere else I should be looking?) so are there other varieties that look like arabian knights that are recommended?

And which ones bloom the easiest and the most? I don't want a plant that has flowers for only a few weeks out of the year, I would prefer one that is always in bloom if possible.

I live in Chicago and have large south facing windows. The jasmine would be kept on the windowsill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Jasmine should I get?

If you are new to jasmines I would suggest you to try jasmine sambac maid of orleans. The fragrant flowers are single row petals. You can find this in any nurseries during summer time in your area. This is very low maintenance jasmine and grows fast and blooms very well during summer time.

o

lowes is having maid of orleans for $14.99. Now they are 50% discount. Its a good deal.

o

The fragrance of jasmine flowers is amazing, you can get beautiful and fresh jasmine flowers from flowersatkirribilli that provide online flower delivery services at best prices.

o

I'm in St. Louis & have Grand Duke Jasmine. Very hardy to survive in the house during the winter & fragrant. Got a $29.95 2 gal. size from a local nursery that stocked Monrovia plants.

Sherwood Forest nursery by me has them for $34.95.

This post was edited by nhardy on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 20:49

o

Once you get one type of jasmine , you are hooked to get more varieties!At least I am .
Then getting into 511 mix and then liquid fertilizers !

Belle of India has a very nice fragrance. It also blooms more frequently that the grand duke. Maid of Orleans also blooms very frequently.

Which jasmine did you get?

o

I purchased a a Maid of Orleans from Logees. It's pretty small so far but I'm hoping it will do well and become a beautiful plant! Anyone have any advice for making it look more like a bush rather than a vine? I'm assuming I just need to regularly trim it that way?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here