Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Michaelia alba Pomona CA-

Posted by calik8 sunset18 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 22:36

I work in Pomona, and there is a school near my office called Western University that has planted a few M. Alba and some Champaca! The Alba is blooming like crazy right now. I just may put mine in the ground since theirs looks so good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Michaelia alba Pomona CA-

2 of the ALBA's have seed pods. Are they worth it?

o
RE: Michaelia alba Pomona CA-

Of course, give it a go (I believe the seeds are mature once the pods start to turn brownish). Correct me if I'm wrong, but there could be a possibility for slight genetic variation with the seedlings and they may end up being better or worse in some aspects. They are notoriously difficult to root and are mainly propagated by air-layering or grafting on seedling stock of Michelia champaca.

It is said that there is only one type of Michelia x alba out there that resulted from a hybrid from a very long time ago in Asia. And all Michelia x alba are from vegatative propagation of this origin. But from what I gather, I believe there could be several varations of Michelia x alba that exists out there, mainly in respect to the flower size.

In Thailand there is a very small flowered form called 'Chiu' meaning miniature; it is still unclassified. Whether it is a new species or hybrid or a selection...

e0b888e0b8b3e0b89be0b8b5e0b888e0b8b4e0b98be0b8a7 Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here