Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbt3

Chuck Hayes or Kleim's hardy

tbt3
16 years ago

I am trying to decide between Chuck Hayes and Kleim's hardy gardenias for a foundation garden. Is one more fragrant than the other? I like the CH's more traditional double blossom and foliage.

After I got your unbiased opinion, here is the problem. I asked for CH when they did my landscaping. They put in KH instead. The KH are growing and flowering, the scent is awesome, and the bushes are thriving (they were planted last fall, so they are just getting settled.) I really do like the CH much better, and the landscaper will replace them with the CH, no problem. So, I just need to have them replaced, but I'm enjoying the scent of the KH, minus the less attractive blooms and foliage. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

TBT

Comments (5)

• ankraras
    16 years ago

I think in a situation like this is when garden design come into play. Did you plant other shrubs near by that are possibly flowering in the same time fame? Do they have single or double flowers? Really, our gardens reflect the people who owns them and how the garden is maintained delivers a certain message to passers by.

I believe that balancing the natural beauty should be the key. If you have other flowering shrubs with double flowers then plant single flower Gardenia so each individual plant can display their maximum beauty. You are in luck that the landscaper will plant what you have specified if they don't contradict with each other.

• kaihui
    16 years ago

I have both Chuck Hayes and Kleim Hardy. You probably know one is double and another one is double. That's the main reason that I would pick Chick Hayes over Kleim Hardy if I had to choose. I think Chuck Hayes is slightly more fragrant than Kelim Hardy, but that difference is very very small.

Where are you located in VA? I am in Charlottesville. Kleim Hardy is a little more cold hardy than Chuck Hayes. We are right on the edge of their cold zone. If a bad winter comes, Chuck Hayes may not make it here. That's the only reason I have Kleim Hardy.

Kai

• tbt3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kai,

Thanks for the input. I knew there had to be someone out their with both varieties. I was just looking for some good info comparing and contrasting these two varieties. I definately like the Chuck Hayes better because of the double blossom. I'm glad to hear you say that you think the fragrance is similar. I was so pleased with the fragrance of the Kleim's that I was afraid to replace it with Chuck Hayes if I would lose that great Gardenia smell. The beauty of the foundation planting is that I get a whiff each time I go in or out the front door.
    When and for how long do your KH and CH bloom? Does the Chuck seem to bloom all at once like the KIeim's or are they more a few at at time? Any other differences I need to know?
    I am in West Richmond about an hour east of you, and they do get some protection from the house, so cold hardiness should be ok on either. Was just up your way yesterday to see my brother. The mountains really are pretty this time of year.

Happy Gardening
    TBT

• kaihui
    16 years ago

Hi, TBT,
    I would recommend Chuck Hayes for you for sure. I assume you are in short pump area. You are closer to the ocean.

Well, my Kleim Hardy has about 2 week blooming duration, and so do my Chuck Hayes. The blooming duration has a lot to do with whether it is full sun or under shade (they do well in both conditions just like azaleas). If It is full sun, the blooming duration is a little shorter, I'd guess.

I was orginally from China, and I just found out that many flowers that I like are native to China. if you like gardenias, I would strongly recommend O. Fragrane and winter sweat. They both are very fragarnt, and grow like forest in my hometown in China. (Gardenia is also a very common plant in my hometown). O. Fragrance might not be cold hardy here (cold hardy to zone 7, but If I have a bad winter, ...). they have a better chance to survive in your area. Winter sweat is cold hardy here. They both have very nice fragrance (not just very fragarnt). You will just have to take my words for it.

Anotehr one is night blooming jasmine. It needs to be wintered in garage here, but it does very well in pots.

Good luck,

Kai

Kai

• skippy05
    16 years ago

I live in Philly & have a Chuck Hayes that I actually bought in Va Beach at McDonalds garden Center.
    It is 2 or 3 years old now & is beautiful. Looks horrible in the winter, but survives & is blooming right now.
    We have a small back yard so it is pretty protected from
    winds etc.. I don't really do anything special to it, I dump some used coffee grinds in the soil once in awhile.
    I don't think it bloomed the 1st year, but they told me that was normal.