Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692433

Self watering container w/gardenia?

User
16 years ago

Hi All!

My gardenia (Grifts Select hardy) has brown all over it including the flowers and I presumed it was receiving too much direct sun so I moved it into a self watering container today in Miracle Grow potting mix.

It had been growing planted in the ground.

I have a spot that doesn't receive as much sun on my padio so that is where it is now.

Will the plant be alright in a self watering container?

Has anyone had any experience with using these containers for gardenias?

Should I repot it in a tera cota pot so the plant can breath?

God, I hope it was too much sun and not something else.

The plant has about 6 blooms on it right now.

Thanks for any response.

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Butterfly, some ppl love self-watering pots..unfortunatly, I'm not one of them..(S)
    When I worked at Rentokil, we'd get numerous plants potted in self-watering pots..some 6" up to 24"..they were super heavy, especially when filled w/water.
    One reason I don't care for these pots is because soil never really dries out, so the plant is always sitting in water..IMO, 98% plants need to dry somewhat before rewatering.
    I guess you can see how it works for you..What size is the pot? What material? Those we dwelt w/were mostly ceramic. I really came to detest those darn pots..LOL..
    But again, some ppl love them, and wouldn't use anything else..Toni

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toni,
    After thinking about it a little bit, the next day I moved it into a nice size Tera Cota pot.
    The reason I like them is because I can tell how much water is still left in the pot by looking at the color of the pot on the outside.
    It is unfinished tera cota so it breathes.
    The main reason I did this is because I remeber people saying that gardenias need good drainage and need to dry out before a through watering.
    I just used my intuition I guess you would call it and now the plant is fine. I cut off the burnt portions of the plant.
    Thank you for your response, I have other plants in self watering containers (plastic kind) and they are doing fine so far.(but they aren't gardenias).
    I appreciate your encouragement, you are a nice person.
    Carla

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Carla...Is this your first gardenia? I wish you the best of luck..What type of fertilizer are you using? I use Azalea fert on mine..so far so good..
    You said your gardenia was growing in the ground? Did you plant in ground to see if it'd grow faster? How did it do? I'd like to try but am a chicken..LOL..and right now we have a zillion Cicadas flying everywhere..they peel bark off young trees to lay eggs. So, I'm afraid to take out the plants that normally spend summers outside.
    Yep, it's important soil is well-draining..otherwise, water sits and causes all sorts of problems including bugs like mites.
    It's nice you can tell how much water are in these pots by color..how does that work?
    Those I'm familiar with had a side spout where water was poured in. A little ball was attahed to the spout..when the ball rose up that meant the pot was filled..as it lowered, water was evaporating.
    Like I said, 99% of the self-watering pots we got in were made of ceramic, and sooo heavy..But they were a hot selling item..Most ppl figured they'd know when it was time to water..
    They might have improved these pots since I worked at Rentokil..I hope so..LOL..Good luck, Carla..Toni