Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

Rauwenffia Siamensis, Belle of India are here!

No-Clue
10 years ago

{{gwi:800366}}Belle of India. By far this is my FAVORITE Jasmine hands down!! She smells incredible! I am thinking of ordering 3 more and just pot all 4 into a large community pot so I can have more blooms. Is that ok to do?

{{gwi:800367}}Fudingzhu Sweet Olive is tiny and adorable!

{{gwi:800369}}Look at her in front of the Sweet Olive plant I bought from Green Mart.

{{gwi:800371}}Unfortunately I don't know what variety I bought from Green Mart but the flowers are not white but more creamy. Regardless I love the scent.

{{gwi:800373}}Here are my Rauwenffia Siamensis and Maxillaria Tenuifolia.

{{gwi:800375}}Rauwenffia Siamensis is about 20" tall. She looks so adorable! LOL

{{gwi:800377}}Upon close inspection I found a growth of some kind. Maybe it's a seed pod!

{{gwi:800379}}A photo of my Vietnamese Gardenia. I planted both in my side yard. They are not too happy right now after I put them in the ground... a lot of the lower leaves are turning yellow. The ants are have a ball carry the aphids to the tips. So the situation is critical at this time.

{{gwi:800381}}I just have to share that my David Austin Carding Mill re-bloomed. She's also very fragrant!

{{gwi:800383}}Another shot of my beauty.

Thank you for looking! :)

Comments (18)

• kemistry
    10 years ago

wait.. that's a bud.. on your rauwenffia!!!.. Waah. : )

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

OMG I'm so jealous. You got a bud already. How awesome is that. :))

No clue, I did that with some of my jasmines (but I planted a Belle of India and the J. sambac flore plena from Logee's) because I was running out of room. It helps make the overall affect more bushier as you know how leggy some of these sambacs can be...
    Dar

This post was edited by musaboru on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 0:20

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Ugh. Trying not to be jealous of how large your Rauwenffia Siamensis is compared to mine (mine is 11" tall). :(
    Oh, well. I should be happy for you and I should be happy knowing that it probably won't be too long before mine blooms! Congrats on the flower bud!
    We expect a full scent report when it does. :)

So glad you love Belle of India! I grow 3 to a pot so 4 might be pushing it unless it's a huge pot. The pot my 3 are in is already too small for the monsters. Laugh.

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kemistry - are you sure it's a bud? I hope I didn't kill it by bare rooting it when I repotted. :(

Musa - so you think I can mix other Jasmines in the same pot? I already have the two Mysore Mulli (I think) that I bought from Green Mart. They smell awesome two but not as strong as Bell of India. I just LOVE LOVE her. Just enough sweetness and subtlety without being in your face about it. I am going to order another few one for my mom. Jasmine reminds us of my beloved Dad. So I know she will love it too!

Robert - don't be jealous because under your care you plant will be HUGE in no time. Besides yours should be blooming soon as well. I can't wait to smell her. It seems like you and I have similar taste in fragrance! How dangerous is that?

Do you repot your orchids? If so what mix do you use and do you bare root them first? This is my first time growing orchids.

Thank you!!

10 years ago

Still jealous...especially since I've been ordering from Logee's for years and this is your first order and you got the biggest one! Laugh.

I'm going to answer your jasmine question even though you directed it at Dar-
    Yes. You can plant Belle and Mysore in the same pot since they are the same species just different cultivars so they will have the same growing requirements.
    I like having mine in separate pots since the flowers are different and it's easier for me to notice the differences in scent that way.

As for your orchid question I use mixes by Better-Gro and Ferti-Lome. Lowe's normally carries Better-Gro and I found the Ferti-Lome mix at a local nursery.
    I do shake off the existing potting mix when I repot my orchids. :)

-Robert

• kemistry
    10 years ago

No Clue, yeah that's a bud. You need to update us on its scent!! I called Logee to order one because of your post. Lol. I ordered a rauwenhoffia & a coffea (finally!!)

10 years ago

Yay! You finally broke down and ordered a rauwenhoffia , Kemistry!
    I'm sure yours will be larger than mine. :)

-Robert

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Robert is having a size issue. LMAO!! I couldn't resist teasing you my dear friend. ;)

Well because of Robert I ordered Rauwenffia too and I have no idea what I just bought or how do I care for it. Haha. I should read up on it so I don't kill that lonely bud. I had no idea a plant that small would have a bud.

Yeah Kemistry you finally got one. Maybe yours will have two buds. Just don't tell Robert though. :)

I will report when she blooms.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

I hope I wont have to wait 2+ years for this rauwen plant to bloom. I just realize that many relatives of the tropical fruits soursop/sugarapple are fragrant.. It's really interesting because I also read that the flowers of sugarapple also have a nice scent.

I need to stay away from GW.. so many enablers on here. Lol
    : )

10 years ago

I found a video on youtube which I think is of Rauwenhoffia siamensis. One viewer commented it has a good scent.

Hopefully we'll find out soon! :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Rauwenhoffia vid

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Well my two plants are here.

First a bad news.. I'm disappointed in my coffee plant. It's a seedling! I emailed Logee last year about their coffee plants and they said theirs were rooted cuttings. Gaah!

And the good news? Look how huge that rauwen plant is
    {{gwi:800385}}

AND THIS!!!
    {{gwi:800387}}

: )

10 years ago

Ugh. Jealous of your rauwenhoffia. Laugh.

Please post your scent thoughts if that bud blooms for
    ya!

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Wow another buff plant. I will be checking this thread every hour to see what you write about the scent lol. I broke down and ordered the last two. they should be shipping this week or next week.

• chubite
    10 years ago

Update me on the scent as usual:)
    Hopefully your alba golden is next to bloom...:))

10 years ago

Dar,

Ha! You bought the last two? Boy. My original thread really inspired people to get this plant.
    What if we all hate the scent? ;)

-Robert

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Robert. I looked at your plant's pictures and I think yours will bloom this year too. Mine is about your height (meaning main trunk). It looks taller because of the many side branches. The bud is set on the longest side branch so I'm sure this Summer you'll see buds on yours! : )

I like the look of this plant a lot. The leaves are bluish green ..so pretty!

10 years ago

My Rauwenhoffia siamensis has a tiny, tiny bud!!!
    Now I don't have to be so jealous of the rest of you. ;)
    Has anyone actually smelled a bloom yet?

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Of course I came too late and now I may never have one of these plants!!

Now that is a reason to be jealous..lol

Mike