Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kemistry_gw

magnolia coco

kemistry
10 years ago

Can't post these photos in the June thread because of the 150-post limit. Here it is.. finally.. my first Magnolia coco's bloom of the year.

June 2nd:
{{gwi:800436}}

This afternoon (June 28th):
{{gwi:800439}}

{{gwi:800442}}

The fragrance is incredibly strong when it's starting to open.
It has a melon scent mixes with a strange paint smell that's addicting to sniff. Lol. I know No-clue probably won't like this scent since she can't stand the nail polish remover scent of michelia figo. ;)

Comments (13)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Wow Kem! Yours already bloom up there in Oregon. And mine's just starting to grow buds. Hosi's always says you have a green thumb for a reason. :))

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the next afternoon:
    {{gwi:800444}}

the whole plant:
    {{gwi:800446}}

Musa.. my plant is doing great this year. Last year it bloomed in September. It put out 3 buds but dropped 2 so only 1 made it. This year I see 7 buds on it! : )

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

Yay! I'm happy for you. Even though I probably wouldn't like the scent I still would like to experience it. Laugh.
    I hope you get lots of flowers to sniff this year!

-Robert

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fragrance is very mellow if you smell it in the air. It has a pretty, fresh melon scent. Only if you purposely bury your nose into the flower will you smell that wet paint smell. Sort of like if you purposely sniffing the flowers of night blooming jasmine up close.. you'll get that heavy, sharp, shocking scent because of the intensity of its fragrance.. but magnolia coco isn't a cestrum, it's prettier! ;)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Very interesting the way you describe the scent Kem. I don't recall wet paint, but I can't wait for mines to bloom again so I can see if I can detect wet paint in it.

By the way, is yours the double version? The normal version produces 6 petals with 3 green sepals.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

one word and that is awesome :) i came across this plant many years ago when i first found out about michelia chamapaca. I did even try to grow one once but like you all know by now you can not buy anything in England :( so i imported one from tawain it arrived on its last legs and i could not save it! :( so its nice to see your beautiful photos and describtion of the fragrance :) (one day i might give it another go)

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fragrant, i imported this plant from Thailand in December of 2010. This was my first purchase from Thailand and I got lucky on it. All of my oversea purchases after this didn't make through Customs. Lol.

Musa, mine is also the single version. Here's a pic of an opened bloom:
    {{gwi:800448}}

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous!

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Kem,
    Thats a beautiful shot! Mine doesn't open like yours. The pic I posted is about as open as it gets before dropping. Must be different strain or could it be difference in humidity?

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it has to do with the temperature. My second bloom (today) opened up like a lotus. Very pretty. I'm starting to like its scent more and more. Lol. : )

{{gwi:800450}}

This post was edited by kemistry on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 3:35

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

ahhhh your photos a tempting me to go buy buy buy again :) do you grow yours in the house and what is it like to look after any pest problems etc ?
    still trying to get my hands on Artabotrys hexapetalus ;)

• kemistry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All my plants are indoors : ) I gotta say this Mag coco is pest-free. The only time I treated it was when it arrived with some scales on it. Leaves are glossy. Slow growing. Perfect for pot.

• chubite
    10 years ago

Kem, you and your greenthumb skill and lots of your plants always make me drool..lol..
    Your plant looks so great ( As usual since I never recall you have a bad looking plant :P)