Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
force flowering jasmine sambac?

Posted by utsharpie 76710 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 23:23

i was wondering if it was possible to force flower jasmine sambac if you grow it indoors under lights? could you keep it flowering year round? cif the flower time was something like blooms for a month than nothing until another 3 monts? or could i always have blooms within in a week?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: force flowering jasmine sambac?

I haven't heard of it being tried-let us know! They want to flower in the summer=long day hours + heat. It helps to use a low nitrogen fertilizer along with higher phosph and potash. I prefer 2-10-10 bloom special. I use this and within 1 week, I've got 30 flowers in one night here in Florida (3 gal pots).
kevin

o

Perhaps, but I wouldn't just use plain ol' lights, try and find full spectrum lighting.

o

im using 400 watt metal halide lightsand i have 4 of them. each covers an area of 8 to 10 square feet. what are some other fragrant plants that are "everbloomers"

o

Hey Jasmine sambac (MAid of orleans) is a very easy plant to grow, Although like many plants dont like living in the house. During the winter mine looks like its dead but as soon as i bring it outside it all comes back. Jasmine like many plats only bloom off of new growth so i woiuld try clipping back some old shoots forceing new ones to appear

o

My Maid of Orleans (3) bloom yr round. I feed from Mar-Sept, then once days shorten, withhold food..Aside from light they like humidity. They're misted daily, and hosed in sink once a wk. They're planted in well-draining soil, all purpose, peat and sand. I wouldn't cut back, you may remove a flower stem...Toni

o

I really love jamine, I have 3 sambacs and the flowers are so fragrant it's incredible. Mine have bloomed numerous times over the past few months I've had them. Mine are in a west window and get afternoon sun. I trim a branch here and there every now and then when needed. Piece of cake to grow!

Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here