Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First bloom for my M. alba!

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 23:40

Walked out to the patio, detected a sweet fragrance I've been waiting for, and voila, 2 flowers. There are quite a few more buds on the plant. It's gonna be a fragrant summer. This is the earliest that I've gotten flowers.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First bloom for my M. alba!

I lost my alba, maybe it's time for a replacement (lol).

Thanks for sharing! :)

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 0:13

Sorry to hear that. How did you "lose" it?

o

It was doing so well, until I transplanted it into a bigger pot and new soil. I was being aggressive (removed 50% of its root -- not a good idea ;)..) plus overwatering it so that didn't help, either.

Funny thing is, I did the same to my M. Figo but the M. Figo didn't even sulk. :)

o

Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 12:50

Does M. figo have good fragrance? I'm looking to add more Michelia to my collection. Do you know anything about M. champaca?
Thanks,

o

Figo has a wonderful fragrance.. smells like a fine banana perfume (The top notes have a strong nail-salon scent, but after that initial shock, the banana perfume is very nice and addicting.)

I don't have a champaca but I heard the scent is richer than alba?

(My egg magnolia is having a bud, I'll keep you update on its scent.)

o

Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 17:28

Great, thanks!

o

I agree m figo has a wonderful fragrance, sweet and intense. To my nose, it is much richer than just banana scent.

You won't be sorry with this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here