Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longriver_gw

This is not Mystery Gardenia

longriver
16 years ago

This Gardenia looks like Mystery Gardenia, but it is not. This plant was introduced to Northern California from China about 10 Yeasrs ago. Luckily I still have one medium size bush. I should make a few rootings. One nursery might have accquired this gardenia for propagation. This picture flower was spotted in bloom today, at 4 and 1/4 inches in diameter.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• charlottelily
    16 years ago

Beautiful!
    How is the fragrance?

• longriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The fragrance is typically rich and clean aroma.

• snasxs
    16 years ago

Very nice, does it have a cultivar name?

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, longriver, that is a beautiful bloom. how do you do rootings? all of mine just rots in the water after a while. thanks.

• longriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gardenia is very easy to root with meidum of sand or perlite. I use a small pot filled with with just moist medium, inserted with a few small branches. The pot is placed in a zip-lock. Keep it in my green house. Basically I just forget it about for three months. Usually the root will be showing.

• longriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Snasxs, There is possible a special name but I do not have it. All gardenias are native of southeast of China, from Zhejiang to Taiwan Province. They simply call it Ze-Ze flowers. It has different size and flower type. Fortunately I still keep a nice one from Taiwan. It is a small single flower. The petal is rather narrow like spear head. I heard someone calls it as Bird' Tongue Ze-Ze Flower. It is not hardy. I lost many of this large plants during the winter of last 15 years. My survival plants now are very small.

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, longriver, re rooting, do you cut off the leaves and how much light do you let it have while it is rooting? thanks for the info.

sue

• snasxs
    16 years ago

{{gwi:800636}}
    Longriver, Do you have the same cultivar as the one in picture?

I think I read about birdÂs tong. Do they bloom later than other gardenias?

I agree there are many interesting wild gardenia species. I find this link interesting. It talks about G. Sootepensis which has very large leaves and flowers.

The site mentions an unidentified Rubiaceae. Maybe it can be named wild pink gardenia?

• longriver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am thrilled to see your pictures. My place would be too cold to grow the tropical ones. They are possibly in a big family, not in the same section. Gardenia thumbergia for example is a huge tree gardenia native of South Africa.
    Your first picture is wonderful. I do not have it. May be we can do exchage next year. My collection of plant is mainly camellias. I have about 1,000 plant in my backyard.
    Back to rooting, the prefered condition is warm 80 to 90 dgrees F.( day and light) with about 50% shade in constant humid condition, no wet feet. It is better to have mist spray which is the method of professional. I get by with enclosed envirnment. If water method is also working for you. Why not try both. I also apply grft method to keep my Bird's Tongue growing. It is very easy to take. If you should have only a few precious scions. You should use graft method to establish your stock. After you have a big bush, then try propagate it by rooting.

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, longriver, thanks. I have saved the info you've given me.

sue

• snasxs
    16 years ago

longriver,

I check several sources. The bird-tong type gardenia does flower in hotter period. In Beijing, ordinary gardenia blooms around June and July. The bird-tong gardenia blooms in July and August.