Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beetle_2007

Cream Beauty

beetle_2007
11 years ago

This is this plants second year with me, and it appears very healthy:) I over wintered it last year, in as much natural sunlight as I could find. Also, misted it almost everyday, and yes, it did get a few spider mites, but they were washed away:)

I'm still not sure when to fertilize, but did apply a very weak chelated iron at the beginning of spring. Now, it sits in my backyard, getting morning sun, and dappled light till evening. Sorry for being soo long winded about this, but I'm so excited and encouraged:)

Comments (24)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Beetle. Very beautiful Gardenia and flower. Um, bet it smells wonderful....

I fertilize my Gardenias with a timed-release, 3-month fertilizer from Mar-Sept/Oct, depending on sunlight.
    Every so often, they also get a flowering type fertilizer and Superthrive..So far so good.
    My Gardenia was purchaased 1994. Toni

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1994,.... Wow Toni!! Thats awesome:) Thanks for the heads up on fert., I have been overly cautious I think lol.
    I bought some time release pellets for hanging flower baskets, would that hurt to put a scoop [small] in with it?

Have you ever pruned your gardenia back? I'm wondering about some of the leggy growth on mine, but I dont want to have a disaster . Take care, we are trying to handle some pretty hot weather here in Alberta, 30 c plus for days now. Fiona

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hey Fiona! How are you?

To be honest, it's better being cautious.
    Too much fert can cause spindly growth and excess salts.

What would the pellets replace? Acid/flowering ferts?

I rarely prune my 'denia. Like you, I too am cautious, lol.
    What if a bud is about to pop?
    Think it's been pruned twice over the years.

What about night time temps? Is it hot then, too?

We had a heat wave that ended last Saturday. 104F/40C. No a/c in the house so many plants that weren't taken outside are cooked. Those outside did okay, but all were dry. I really thought my 'denia was a goner though. The leaves dried terribly, even after a 3-gallon drink. Sheesh.

Is your Gardenia in or outdoors?

hope you're well...

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, and Happy Birthday Toni!! Oh my Gosh, that sounds too too much for heat!!We dont have ac either, but have many fans going on the hot ones.

I think I'll nix the pruning for now, and just fertilize very mildly with a flowering fert.

My 'denia' is outside for the summer, and yes, there is a big temp difference at night,so it does get relief from heat.
    Hope you have a great day:) Fiona

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Fiona:

Congratulations on your beauty! It looks so delicious and fragrant! Good job holding a gardenia alive for more than a year. That is a feat not done by many and still have one as nice looking as that. Oh wait, there is another whom has good success with gardenia, and that would be.....

Toni!

Hello Toni. Good to see you:-) I hear you about the pruning thing..lol I just cut them back now, in bud or not.lol

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning,

Fiona...how did you know it was my birthday? lol. Thanks for the BD wishes.

When you ran the fans were they blowing hot or cool air?
    Normally heat doesn't bother me, but this year, and now that I'm getting older.................... lol

Since your Gardenia is 2-yrs, continue doing what you've been.
    I believe, if a Gardenia can make it one year, why not two, three and four?

Hi Mike!!!

Mike, do you prune your 'denia/s? If so, how often and why? lol.

My guy needs repotting..it's been a long time. Gotta get a bag of Peat, lol. Toni

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Mike:) I can't believe it myself sometimes lol:) I even let it run to quite dry, before watering [usually rainwater]

Hi Toni, [I looked at your profile page, and saw it was your BD :)]The fans move whatever air is in the house, nowadays its warm air, but hey.... at least its moving LOL. I do have a three year old, struggling,pathetic little gardenia, but am embarrassed to post a pic of ...maybe if it pics up a little LOL!!
    Take care, Fiona

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Howdy,

Fiona, I have no idea what's on my profile page..lol.
    Can a profile be found by clicking on a members name?

Don't be embarrassed posting. Foliage and flower on your pic are beautiful, quite healthy.

During winter, my 'denia loses its luster and some leaves, depending on sun, etc.
    It's one of the first plants that go outdoors..Gardenia's can take quite a bit of cold.
    There have been times it was outside, then temps either dropped or it started snowing, so back in it came.

2012 summer is the first year my 'denia produced more than a couple flowers..
    Pic was taken 6/25/12.

{{gwi:94237}}

It's nice and green now, but by Dec/Jan, it won't be as green or full. Not enough light or humidity in IL.

I have three, smaller Gardenias..Two are sticks..lol. They were sent from Thailand in winter, bare-root.
    Never did well.

Another member here, if he/she wouldn't mind speaking out, ordered from the same Ebay seller/Thailand and had a similar experience.

And a small, variegated 'denia. It looked like heck during winter, lost all variegation, but now that summer is here, is doing better.

Gardenia's are not the easiest plants. Period. But, are worth the extra effort.

LOL, yep, I know what you mean about fans and heat..when we had our heat-wave, all that blew out of the fans was hot air. lol.
    Hot or not, I can't breath when air isn't moving. Makes me claustraphobic.

Anyway, thanks again for the b-day wish, Toni

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Those gardenias are looking glorious, you all! Great job! :)

I made a mistake last summer when I aggressively root-pruning my plant. It took over 1/2 year to start growing again. So far no buds but at least it's growing. :)

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Toni,

Yup, thats how I found it:)

I agree they are soo worth the pain, frustration, agony LOL!!!

Hi kemistry,
    sounds like you have 'the bug' too :))

Take care, keep cool, chat later,Fiona

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Well........Ok, here is my stick! The last of the gardenia I received from Thailand! lol

{{gwi:800646}}

Now as for my other Gardenia? Well, one I had to throw away last winter due to a horrible spider mite infestation. That one I had for 5 years! That one depressed me.

These are the only three I care to keep. They ARE a lot of work and a constant worry spot with me. So, now, I have less to worry about.

This first one I have had for a few years but deliberately keep small by cutting back. Of the twigs I did cut back, I decided to root one and so I now I have two of the same plant.

The mother plant:
    {{gwi:800648}}

The cutting I rooted last summer

{{gwi:800650}}

Then, here is my Frost Proof one. I am tempted to throw this one out too since spider mites seem to eye this one out every winter! I keep it small to make it easier to deal with. It is about 3 years old.

{{gwi:800653}}

Beautiful pics everyone! Hello to Toni, Fiona, and my buddy from across the pond Kemistry!

Mike

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW Mike, The cuttings look full and lush:)) However did you get them so bushy?the 'stick'....well, I have a three year old similar looking:( Never say die I'm still hopeing it leafs out more LOL

Lovely pics, and I'd like to make a request. Toni, could you please post one of your variegated. I'm so curious what that would look like:))

Take care everyone:) Fiona

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Wow, everyone, beautiful Gardenia plants and flower. Love the Gardenia scent but I am a Gardenia murder. I try to stay away from Gardenia in distance... only allow myself to admire the beauty in the forum.

• xmikelx
    11 years ago

Love the pics everyone. the first picture of mikes stick is scary. lol 0.O

mike- Im curious does your frost proof bloom more, or less, or about the same as the other variety of gardenia u have?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hello guys and gals!

Xmikelx: This one does bloom more then my other gardenia but also has its downside! It is the only one that seems to attract spider mites like flies on candy. I have to watch for them every week. That is why I keep it small and manageable. It does have a very strong sweet fragrance with a buttery scent added to it. It is worth the work to get it through winter. I would never throw this one away:-)

Hello Olympia! I feel the same as you.

Fiona! Thank you. Lol. I am seeing a bit of little new leaves coming from the stick. Did you notice? I over watered this one and almost killed it. Wrong mix. It should be ok for now.

Toni and I have the same exact taste in plants here, and we even got many of our plants at the same place. I hope our plants do well.

You should see my variegated 'Natal Fragrant Plum' plant. I'll post soon!:-)

Mike

• xmikelx
    11 years ago

:) sounds worth it to me* yummy butter!

i wish my jasmine MOO wasn't a spider mite magnet other wise i wouldn't be so tempted to toss it. it flowers well and looks full. im thinking of tossing it out. the mites are just annoying, right now none but still they come back.

if there were a plant as easy as a MOO without the magnetism to spidermites

again i love the pics everyone

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Xmikelx!

Don't do it! Try to keep it small by cutting it back and enjoy its growth once summer comes bug free!
    That is what I do with this one.
    If you cut it back, all you will have to do is spray it down with soapy water in the fall throuh winter and you will even get to wash each few leaves. It can stay bug free, requiring work, but much more managable and much more rewarding:-)
    In fact, the more you cut it back each fall, the shorter and more full it will look each spring into summer. Full and lush, encouraging loads of flowers to enjoy each summer. By winter, expect nothing from it except just to survive, small, and bug free.
    Watch it expload with wonders of new growth for you every year after a long dismal winter.
    I WISH I had thought of this at the time I threw away my oldest and most favorite large gardenia! I got so mad when I found it covered in mites, it was too late to retrieve it after dumping the poor thing into the huge garbage bin at work. Ooh, I could kick myself now.

Mike

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone
    I had a MOO. Finally had to throw it out due to those nasty mites [and I didnt know about misting it steady.

OK...I'll post my stick LOL:)) This is a three yr old Gardie.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey Beetle! What is that white stuff lining the inside of your pot?

I think we found a possible solution for you:-)

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Wow, this thread grew!! I must check the box for email replies.

Howdy All,

First, thanks for complimenting my 'denia. I really appreciate it.

Mike, your plants are gorgeous as usual. :)

I'll snap pics of my variegated. We had major T-storms today...so the yard is muddy.
    I also have two smaller variegates indoors..the wind kept knocking them down, so I got fed up and brought them back in..
    I'll snap those pics in a minute..they are young denia's.
    Not grafted..

Wish our stores sold grafted denias..it's 'nearly' impossible finding any type. lol.
    However, I've been looking online..trying to find one grafted variegated at a reasonable prices w/o paying 25.00 plus for shipping! That task might take a week or year.

Beetle, I too am wondering what the white stuff might be.
    Well, at least your 'denia is alive.
    If it were mine, I'd add 10 drops of Superthrive..also, 'though I might get scolded for suggesting this,' a fertilizer high in N for acidic plants. Or Fish Emulsion which is high in Nitrogen.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Skimpy, but cute...lol

Please, don't drool spying these two beautys. lol.

• xmikelx
    11 years ago

mike- i do cut it often. it grows back very fast. right now it does not seem to have any mites.

is it possible to cut back too much on a moo?

i have three individual plants in one pot i think i will only keep one and give away the other two.
    Beetle-- how did you ever manage to hold on to it. lol. i would have tossed it. im an intentional plant murderer.

toni- those are very cute gardenis, did you get them from peppers? i know they sell variegated gardenias.

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni.....TOO Late!!! I am SO drooling! :)) They are Gorgeous!

Hi Mike, I think it is fert build up on that pot:( I suppose I really should repot, but the little one is pretty fragile. I'll give it a new pot and some gritty mix, and hope for the best:)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning...

XMike. Yep, they're from Accents. I'm still awaiting the African Gardenia.

There's a nursery called, (named it, but GW won't allow posting the name) that sells grafted Gardenias. I ordered from TT once before, about 5-yrs ago. Ordered Calathea lancifolia. The plant arrived, was quite large, BUT had more brown edges than not... but worse, they sent the wrong Calathea. It's just a feeling, but I sensed TT didn't have lancifolia, and thought I'd accept the plant as is. I KNOW this plant, but it's only a feeling. lol.

I contacted TT and explained the situation, 'and sent a picture.' He was nice enough, told me to return the Cal. He returned my payment, but I can't recall if he or I paid a second shipping fee.

Prices are a little steep. The 20 or 30.00 plants are always out of stock, and last time I checked, the variegates were out of stock or discontinued.

Beetle...Oh Beetle, I was kidding about drooling, lolol.
    The one variegated is nice, the August is small and etoliated.

Accents has very nice plants at great prices. Every so often a plant is on the small side, but the owner contacts me to let me know..He's a very nice and honest man.

Beetle, I'm not telling you what to do, but your Gardenia is alive and with a little work, could grow into a beautiful specimen.

Can you place outside? The great outdoors does wonders.