Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Fragrant petunias?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Hi I'm growing what was supposed to be kentucky old fashioned petunias this year but I don't notice them any more fragrant than other types. Do I have the wrong kind? Some descriptions say the old (kentucky included) types of petunia have a rich "jasmine like" perfume. Has anyone else grown the real heirloom types? What do you think? Thanks :)

Comments (9)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

I've found that the dark colors - particularly the purples - are the most fragrant and many doubles are also fragrant. Haven't tried any of the heirlooms but the "Piroutte" series (both pink and purple) are nicely fragrant.

• jscanlin
    18 years ago

Their fragrance is more like Oriental Lily or Nicotiania than Jasmine to me, and much stronger at night. Some varieties do have more scent than others. The most fragrant I've found are an old fashioned kind called "vining petunias" - they grow tall stalks and clamber through other plants. Purchased from Flower Scent Gardens, and I think Fragrant Path sells seed for these as well.

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks jscanlin. I look at Fragrant Path. I ordered what I thought was a "vining" petunia this year but so far its not vining its upright so I"m thinking I've got bum seeds.... at what point did yours vine? do they have to get older? :)

• jscanlin
    18 years ago

Mine are also upright - the "vining" activity seems to be more like climbing than cascading. But I like them anyway - they do climb through other plants nicely, and the nighttime fragrance is very sweet. They've also set seed each year and come true. Mine are white with a dark purple eye. The flowers are not very large, maybe 2 1/2 inches across, but the "vine" gets quite tall, 3-4 feet if it has something to climb through.

Best,
    Jen

• wwangatwork
    18 years ago

I found this old post, and thought I'd comment that my wave petunias (dark purple) are extremely fragrant, both during the day and at night.

Warren

• Bellingham
    18 years ago

I'll second the (dark purple) wave petunias. My mother in law has some in her driveway and they hit me from 12 feet away. I'm definately doing some of those next year.

• roxie68
    18 years ago

I would love to know where I can get the petunias in my area or at least the seeds. I love the fragrance of the petunias. It reminds me of my Grandmother who I miss terribly.

Thanks for your help. Roxanne

• sharkyk
    16 years ago

I think fragrant petunias smell like heliotrope.

• r-tist
    16 years ago

Even though this is an old post, I just have to say that in my zone 6 in NW Tn and all over Al and Ga, the dark petunias that smell the strongest usually drop seeds and re-seed for the next year. I never have a lot of them to come back, but some do every year. I think I am going to see about saving some seed this year and put them out just as soon as the last frost has come and gone in the spring. I too love the old fashioned ones. They remind me of my grandmother's house too.