Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating jasmine

Posted by calik8 sunset18 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 2:11

I took a small cutting from a sasparilla jasmine and tried to root it. I put it in som soil in a converted 2 liter soda bottle. It's been steamy in there, and now it has this stuff growing on the stem. It can;t be roots can it?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating jasmine

That's thrilling! Yes, I think those are roots, which seem to start as white nubbies exploding and then grow out. I've noticed that roots actually start better in high humidity than in actual water.

Great going!

o

Wow. That is bizarre. :O

Is this a Trachelospermum species?

o

Trachelospermum...
uhhhh, what??

o

Ok - I googled Trachelospermum and I think it is. It looks just like the normal star jasmine that grows everywhere, but smells just like root beer.

o

GREAT job. I have yet to root any type of jasmine.

Mike

o

It's easy to root jasmine, Mike! What I do (with arabian tea jasmine) is I wait till after it's just flowered, and then cut the stem that has just flowered and root it in clean water. Actually works! :D

o

@ mersiepoo Do you leave the cutting in a glass and cover? I'm trying to root four arabian jasmine cuttings in seed starting mix using a homemade greenhouse (a wood base with frame and loosely fitted painters plastic (2 gauge).

I mist daily but 2 look gone, 3rd on the way to dying and the forth is starting to sag.

:/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here