Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigislandflower

Gardenia

bigislandflower
16 years ago

Hi I have had a gardenia plant in a large pot for approx 4 months. It has never bloomed. I have tried everything from watering less....to more...pruning...fertilizer....shade ...sun.

I love gardenias and do not know what I am doing wrong. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments (8)

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Ignore them. Treat them like dirt. Throw water on their leaves. Pretend to not give a crap, and they'll bloom. Check out the stuff i posted 'downfall of my gardenias'. My fortunata is getting ready to bloom. I have mine in a humidity tray with some gravel, I also put a cotton wick in the dirt (actually it was 1 part sand, one part peat and one part soil). I have the wick come out of the pot and it hangs in the gravel tray. I had mine (I got it with buds) in mostly shade (about 2 hours of indirect sun), then someone here told me to put it in more sun, which I did. It would wilt sometime and I'd thoroughly saturate it with water when it wilted a bit. Now after moving it to a bit more sun (probably another hour or so), I can see a bit of white on the leaf bud, the biggest one looks like it's ready to bloom. But, I'm careful to not show any interest, lest the bud catch on fire and drop off. I also mist it every day, even though it has a humidity tray under it. HTH!

• snasxs
    16 years ago

If the Gardenia wilts because of root problem, then saturating the pot in water makes it worse. Only time can tell.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Most gardenias only bloom in early summer. Mine bloom in late May and into June. I am still getting a few blooms and will through August, but only a few. Give it another year. Feed it with an acid fertilizer. Feed it with 1 tablespoon Epsom salts per gallon of water every 3 months. Patience, grasshopper.

• snasxs
    16 years ago

Master Terry, we look forward to witness photos of your lovely master piece plants.

• aarondon
    16 years ago

bloom set is related to temperature, where gardenia blooms go temps between 50 - 60 sets them

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

My gardenias tend to bloom in early spring and fall..I think it's the cool temps that promotes buds. Once it gets hot outside, foliage color deepens, but no sign of buds.
    Like Mersiepoo stated, ignore them..LOL In other words, don't love them by overwateing. And make sure pot has drainage holes. The last thing a gardenia needs is sitting in water.
    Last winter I placed growing pots inside a non-drainage outter pot..Big mistake..I smelled something sour. Also used the same type of outter pot for a tree hibiscus..When I lifted growing pots, they were filled w/water..The one hib died..I lucked out w/the gardenia by catching in time, but this is a no-no..
    FEed w/a good acidic type fertilizer like Azalea food, and follow container directions..do not exceed dossage..Toni

• ankraras
    16 years ago

I believe most Gardenia varieties bloom from April-June, other varieties will bloom according to the plants blooming schedule.

What variety do you have? Where is the plant positioned now? Full sun/shade? In/outdoors?

I suspect since yours has just been potted recently it may just take time establishing as much root system as it can before it blooms.

My 'Tiare' and 'Tubifera' faithfully bloom from fall into early winter. 'August Beauty' and 'Veitchii' started to bud only just a few weeks ago. 'Radicans' is also starting again, thou this one has just finished blooming a little over a month ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Site

• charlottelily
    16 years ago

I too tend to think gardenias sometimes just get too much attention. A bit of my experience with them...

I've had relative success with gardenias. I had my first standard veitchii for about 10+ yrs, and my 2nd one for 3 yrs. It is in full bloom now and looks like it's got more buds than leaves.

I'm a bit forgetbul about watering, and sometimes my plants go fairly dry, but then they get a good drink and always with good drainage. No pebble trays, no wicks, etc. I did buy a small humidifier for last winter but it was more for my michelia alba.

The plant is outside in spring/summer in morning light. During especially hot spells, it may get watered daily. It comes inside in the fall and spends the winter in my living room. I like a fairly cool house, and fortunately, it seems the plants enjoy the low temps as well. Maybe this does help set the buds. (I still get a few flowers here and there in winter)

I bought some fertilizer long ago but confess I never find time to use it. Sometimes I put coffee grounds in the soil.

I've found that with any plant, when it first comes home it's bound to go thru a period of adapting to new conditions. So there will inevitably be a bit of leaf drop, whatever. I always get told not to fertilize right away, and I've found this to be good advice.
    With my first gardenia, I used to fertilize with Miracid and sometimes the leaves would go yellow and drop so, best to go lightly with that.

So maybe a bit of neglect is what it takes... :)