Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where Do You Find Fragrance For Next Winter

Posted by longriver SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 3:57

I know it is getting warm in US. Yet during the cold winter time, the earth and fragrant plants seem in bleak dormancy.

You can prepare yourself to have fragrant plants now for the winter. There are Wintersweet and fragrant Camellias. If your place is too cold for camellia, you can keep the fragrant camellia in a pot and move it indoor during freezing strom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where Do You Find Fragrance For Next Winter

longriver,
I have a hughe sweet olive tree in a big pot that I take outside every May until October, then I bring it inside for the winter.
In November, it starts to bloom and the smell fills the whole room it is in. It is potent.
This year, it actually bloomed heavily til the end of June.
It was full of flowers from November through the end of June. Smelled great!
I am going to have to cut it down for this fall though, it is getting too big for me to carry up the stairs in the cold weather.
I'm sure it will be OK. It is definately worth the trouble when it starts to bloom all winter and it smells like summer.
Love it!

o

Butterfly4u:Thanks for your information: I am collecting a few varieties of O.manthus. Did you purchase your Sweet Oliver locally? Do you have any information about your cultivar? American native Sweet Oliver has a long blooming time. If you are in cold area and also fool the nature by placing the plant indoor; which might extend the flowering duration.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 13:46

Quite a few fragrant winter blooming things for SF Bay Area gardens. Jasminum polyanthum/Pink Jasmine for one, Daphne odora, Paperwhite Narcissus, Pittosporum undulatum and Pittosporum tobira can often bloom in winter here in Berkeley. Fragrant foliage to be brushed against at any season might include Coleonema pulchrum and Prostanthera ovalifolium, and if you have room for a large growing tree, the Lemon Gum/Eucalyptus citriodora, is wonderfully fragrant if you crush the foliage.

Osmanthus fragrans also easily blooms outdoors in winter here by the bay, so no need to bring it indoors.

o

My potted orange and lemon trees usually bloom in January. heavenly!

o

Great ideas! bahia and annebert
Yes I have a huge Daphne odor and many others. In Bay Area, we have more choice. I am at Orinda on the other side of hill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here