Houzz Logo Print
bunti_gw

Bolloming in july

bunti
10 years ago

Here are my few blooms in july. More will be coming soon

double Rangoon creeper

Grand Duke Supreme

Artabotrys from green Mart(Many many many ....... thanks to musaboro)

Comments (83)

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Ordphien, cute kitten! And, kittens can smell good too. :-)

The hoya was not in bloom when I wen to Logee's. :-(

-Tina

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Robert looking at your hoya again I wonder if it needs a bit more sun? The leaves are too green I think.

Tina, how's your michelia alba? Post some pics! : )

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

That kitten is awfully cute!

Kem,

Thanks for the hoya tip. I do like when the leaves turn red.
    I'm going to give it direct morning and evening sun (it gets filtered sun during the day).
    Fingers crossed and thanks for the tip! :)

Looks like this might be the last of my lilies. Guess all my 'Casa Blanca' croaked which sucks since they are my fav for scent. They have an awesome clove like perfume.
    Oh, well...guess I need to buy some more next spring!

-Robert

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Bunti, i left a message on your old post few days ago, ..This years first blooms.. was the topic. I was wondering if you had a chance to look at it...

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

I finally have something to post!

My Gardenia jasminoides 'Fortuniana' bloomed!

Oh, the fragrance. Soft flowery with a hint of coconut!

I brought it inside for the night since Oriental beetles are eating the majority of my plants. They have been nibbling on the gardenias.

My husband doesn't pay attention to plants. Five minutes ago he stated "It smells like Hawaii in the house. "

-Tina
    {{gwi:801259}}

10 years ago

Mmm...wish I could sniff that gardenia!

My jasminum molle is blooming. It's a great wafter!

-Robert

10 years ago

Got 3 new babies and one is blooming!
    Jasminum simplicifolium subsp australiense (aka J. volubile) has some blooms that are slightly musky. I think I'm really going to like this one!
    Also got Clerodendrum bungei thanks to Butterfly's post!
    Finally in the back is Cymbidium Ensifolium 'Long Yen Su Xin'.
    I've always wanted a cymbidium and this one is supposed to smell similar to Aglaia odorata (lemony scent). Yum!
    Oh, almost forgot...guess I got 4 new babies. Laugh.
    Not pictured is a small plant of Brassavola 'Kiilani Stars' (hybrid of B. 'Little Stars' and B. perrinii). Really wanted the species Brassavola perrinii however the ones I found were expensive and this small plant was less than twenty with S&H (I don't want to hear about how I'm rationalizing my choices. Laugh). :)

-Robert

• nandakumar
    10 years ago

Hi Bunti,

You have beautiful flowers.

I live in Dallas, TX and have been looking for Belle of India jasmine for the past 2 years. Here in Dallas I could find Arabian Jasmine, Maid of Orleans, Grand Duke Sambac etc in big box stores and local nurseries but never Belle of India.

I have had issues before with Jasmine plants with online vendors, I prefer to see the plant with flowers before I buy or would like to get recommendations for online nurseries from folks like you who already have blooming Belle of India.

Thanks

This post was edited by nandakumar on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 23:36

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Remy101,

If you want cuttings, I can share with you. I can share GDS.

GDS propagates easily. rest of them I haven't tried. my Belle of india stems are not really strong very very thin. Azoricum is also not really big.

• nandakumar
    10 years ago

Thanks bunti, will check out almostedenplants for Belle of India

Btw, when you say GDS, is it 'Grand Duke Sambac' or 'Grand Duke Supreme'? I'm told that Supreme variety flowers come in bunches and regular Grand Duke with one flower per stem. is there any other difference?

Below are the pictures of my 'Grand Duke of Tuscany', which has only one flower per stem

Flowers

Grand Duke of Tuscany plant. I think I may need to prune this to raise as a bush

This post was edited by nandakumar on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 23:38

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GDS means grand duke supreme.

GDS has bigger blooms than grand duke.

Both of them can have bunch of flowers on one stem.

Can you post the closeup photo of grand Duke plant.

• nandakumar
    10 years ago

Thanks again bunti,

I have two Grand Duke plant, one is a older plant and other is a relatively new plant, which so for had only one flower.

Yes, You are right, Grand Duke stem also has bunch of flowers, at least two in my older grand duke in the below picture

Older Grand duke branch/leaves closeup

Older grand duke plant close up. It has lost some leaves but has lot of new growth. It is about 5 feet tall and I'm growing it on trellis

New Grand Duke pictures

Also could you please help identify another Jasmine plant, I got this from a local nursery in Dallas and the name tag just said Jasmine, the flowers look similar to Mysore mulli but bigger. It doesn't have any flowers now, below are the pictures of the plant

• greendou
    10 years ago

nandakumar,
    Your GD is GD supreme, not Tuscany. I have both of them. Supreme 's leaves are longer than Tuscany's.

This post was edited by greendou on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 14:24

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last 2 plants are Grand Duke Tuscany. rest of them are grand duke supreme

• nandakumar
    10 years ago

Thanks bunti and greendou,

holy moly, for the last one year I thought my Jasmine is GD Tuscany and was thinking to buy or order GD Supreme. Good that I came to this forum and reached out to experienced forum members like you.

Among all (13) of my Jasmine plants, last 2 Jasmine plants (in my above posting), which as per bunti are GD Tuscany are slow growers. They had lot of flowers for their size but only one plant had one new shoot.

Will update the forum when I get flowers in the now revealed GD Tuscany.

Thanks

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Artabotrys opened. I feel this smells different when compared with my other Artabotrys I have got from dhan.

Thank you very much to Musaboro.

• mamata
    10 years ago

Hi Nandakumar & Bunti,
    Just a new member of this site saw all your jasmine plant pictures they are very interesting , I too own some jasmine plant i.e Grade duke , Azoricum, Mysore Mulli, Nitidum,Arabian jasmine,confederate Planning to buy jui and Flora plena and tortusum. I stay in Dallas, Texas would love to keep in touch with you all plant lovers. Usually I do buy plants from Logees and http://www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com/ I have a variety of hardy hibiscus (Rose of sharon) different colors would love to share with you all.

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

welcome mamata.

Logees is a good source. But their plants are small and expensive. If you want something that you don't find any where, you can order from logees.

I have been collecting plants since 2005. I have killed few plants. Still learning..

• nandakumar
    10 years ago

Hi Mamata,

Welcome to the forum and even I'm a newbie to this forum.

Many experts and experienced gardeners are active in this forum and they are always ready to share their experience and willing to help.

I too live in DFW area.

• fenius
    10 years ago

Hey guys!! I'm back from a short vacation and can't keep up with all your beautiful blooms!! I see july is sambac month!..
    Welcome mamata!!!
    Robert your jasmines are beautiful, Kem hoya obscura looks pretty, is it ok to grow them in such big pots? I have mine in tiny ones for fear of rotting them..
    Bunti, tell us more about your artabotrys' scent difference, is this hexapetalus? I think dhan's is siamensis..

• bunti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the flower so much. I have seen the flower in the morning while going to work. I just sniffed and left to work. I feel its scent is different from dhans artabotrys.

I feel it smells like jackfruit. I am not good at describing smells.

I don't know whether it is heapetalus or Siamensis...

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

lol this list is getting nearly as big as flowering in june :P
    Gardenia jasminoides 'Fortuniana' looks awesome real stunner

Here are a few of mine for july

one of my many michelia figos love there fragrance

Hoya Parasitica Panachee flowering again been a good year for my hoyas some are flowering for the 3rd time

orchid Cochleanthes Moliere

my 1st Murraya Paniculata flower for this year loads of buds just waiting for them all to explode in to flower

Cestrum nocturnum in full flower

my epiphyllum oxypetalum 2nd time flowering this year did not catch it fully open :(

another epiphyllum but only a faint fragrance

very fragrant Lonicera (Honeysuckle) americana

this is a air layering of Mount Etna broom fabulously fragrant i highly recommended this plant

and here is the daddy plant in my garden

{{gwi:801308}}

hope you are all having a great summer

• kemistry
    10 years ago

fenius, my hoya is still in a 6" pot. Last year it didn't grow much but this year i think it is doing catching up. Lots of growth! I find that these hoya have a shallow root system.. Very little roots also.

Here was a full blooming lavender field I went to last weekend. It was glorious. To be there and to breathe in that scent.. it was amazing!

• ordphien
    10 years ago

NOID zygopetalum. very fragrant

• ordphien
    10 years ago

NOID mini cattleya. Also very fragrant.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Another NOID zygopetalum.
    Less fragrant than the other one but still wonderfully fragrant.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Beautiful orchids Ordphien :)

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Thank you.... I need more named varieties and less
    NOIDS lol...

My Arabian Jasmine has started up making buds.
    I'm excited...

• ordphien
    10 years ago

And my Grand Duke that I thought I killed has burst into life, tons of new growth.
    And a bud! My first ever Grand Duke bud.... I'm so excited.
    It's directly next to my patio table too so I'm excited to smell it wafting.

• User
    10 years ago

I just wanted to tell everyone Thank You for posting all
    those wonderful pictures.
    I felt like I was reading a wonderful plant magazine.
    Thanks again, to every one of you.

• fenius
    10 years ago

Hey! Wait for me, the month isn't over yet!!!
    (great orchids Ordphien!)
    Ok, it's not much but here's what I have now:
    Proiphys amboinensis (very light fragrance)

my telosma finally bloomed too!

a cymbidium kanran

A single tuberose (yet so strongly fragrant, kem was right!)

• kemistry
    10 years ago

That's interesting fenius. Your telosma is more orange than yellow in color. Do you like its scent?

• fenius
    10 years ago

I do, and it's really strong!..sort of lemony/musky with hint of violets.The flowers open yellow-green but end up orange after a couple of days..

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Where did you find a single tuberose?
    I desperately want one but can only find the double version locally.

Thanks, I'm really loving orchids, got into them a couple years ago.
    Still have a fondness for NOIDS lol.

and I forgot to say.... Thank you guys! For complimenting my kitten, who has since been named Dorian.

And just to check I went and smelled the dahlia without him there. It still has a scent lol... still faint. I wonder if one could breed the scent to be stronger.

• greendou
    10 years ago

fenius,
    Your cymbidium kanran is so....o pretty and nice shot.

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Awesome, fenius! I hope my telosma will bloom this year too : )

Interesting note on the dahlia. The other week I sniffed a coneflower (Echinacea) for the first time in my life, and while its scent was faint, it was outstanding!!!

This post was edited by kemistry on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:38

• fenius
    10 years ago

Thank you guys!
    Echinacea eh??
    Ordphien, I got them on ebay after I saw a post here ,you can find it from a while ago, the ebay name was timberviewflowerfarm... I don't think he has them now but if you contact him he might offer some again next spring.. Oh, and regarding the cute kitty, as long as you don't name him Durian...!

• kemistry
    10 years ago

After a bit of googling.. I've found that there are a few Echinacea that are scented. Nice! I need to grow one. : )

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

My goodness, I've never seen so many beautiful, flowering plants in one thread.

I envy you gals and guys your unusual Lilies, too.

Ordphien's precious un-named kitty is adorable...Have you chosen a name yet?

I haven't taken many pics this summer, but there are a few.

Okay, the first might be silly..it's some type of weed. But the flowers are sooo fragrant, pretty, and attracts bees and butterflys..

{{gwi:77544}}

Lily

Variegated Morning Glory, double blooms

{{gwi:77545}}

Hibiscus, that needed a drink

Gardenia bloom

Gardenia tree

Yucca

Lily

Lily

Lily

Clamatis

Brugmansia

Maybe I took more pics than I thought. :) Toni

• roseyd
    10 years ago

The one I'm proudest of, since this plant was given to me, almost dead about 6 weeks ago. She had been dried - and all her leaves turned so brown I had to cut away half of her branches.

But she's been doing much better - and, she'd been showing quite a few buds - although, she's dropped quite a few of them too. This beautiful flower presented itself when I opened up the shade to get in her weekly watering session.

So, goes to show what full indirect light will do for a gardenia plant... this probably isn't thriving - but she appears healthy. I'm so happy to see her flower!

So while my MOO jasmine at home has 35 buds (none yet opened) - I still am most impressed that I salvaged a gardenia plant.

(Yes, I'm patting myself on the back!) :D

LOVE THE variety of orchids that folks have posted! Makes me want to go orchid shopping again...

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

", I'm patting myself on the back!" and so you should be :) as much as i love Gardinia they can be very fickle plants hoping i have more luck with the hardy varieties yours is looking happy and healthy roseyd :)
    and just for you a few more orchids in flower

vanda coerulea var Rosea

colmanara wildcat

Burrageara nelly isle fragrant

Oncidopsis Papageno 'Mi Amour'!!! Fragrant!!! one i got from Canada

epiphyllum cooperi one of the best if not the best for fragrance well worth staying up at night just to get a sniff

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Rose, my goodness, where have you been??
    I haven't seen you since late winter/early spring.

Where have you been hiding??

Ah, you're new interest is Orchids? They are beautiful. I'd like to find a variegated, fragrant type..
    However, I don't know enough about Orchids, including names, so I could browse around

I hope you're well. Good luck Orchid hunting..:) Toni

• ordphien
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor- try looking at neofinetia orchids. There's many types of variegation and scented to boot. Phal schilleriana has mottled silvery leaves and fragrant flowers...
    I'm sure there's more..

• ordphien
    10 years ago

hopefulauthor- try looking at neofinetia orchids. There's many types of variegation and scented to boot. Phal schilleriana has mottled silvery leaves and fragrant flowers...
    I'm sure there's more..

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I'm sure there's more..

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Abraham Darby rose again.
    just thought I'd share cause... I planted it a couple months ago. and I counted today and it has 63 buds on it. I'm quite pleased

• ordphien
    10 years ago

just thought I'd share cause... I planted it a couple months ago. and I counted today and it has 63 buds on it. I'm quite pleased

{{!gwi}}

• ordphien
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Ordphien...Thanks for the suggestions.
    Any nursery recommendations?
    I have one or two 'baby' variegated Phals, barely hanging on. One was purchased from Thailand..arrived when cold
    I also have O. Philo Schilleriana, purchased 2009. This pic was taken 2011...need to update photos..

For some reason your last photos didn't come up. At least on my puter screen. All I see is a red X. Toni