Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattdiclemente

Chonemorpha fragrans (Frangipani vine) worth it?

mattdiclemente
12 years ago

Dear fellow fragrant plant enthusiasts,

Is Chonemorpha fragrans (Frangipani vine) worth it.? I have just been offered the purchase of a gallon specimen of this vine, and am considering it, because the price is well below what it is usually sold for by mail order nurseries, etc.

Is it difficult to bring into flower after wintering indoors though?

Does it need to be enourmous to bloom? To tell the truth, I usually avoid vines, because they are so space consuming indoors.

Most importanly, how is the smell? Can someone offer a description, or a comparison to a fragrance more commonly known? One nursery only describes the flowers as having a "subtle fragrance" and a "delicious rich scent" in the same sentence. You may well understand why I am confused.

Thank-you for your help!

Best wishes,

Sincerely,

Matt Di Clemente

Comments (5)

• saigee
    12 years ago

Hi Matt, I have 2 i purchased last year August. Originally they were about a foot tall. they are now 3 feet tall, and growing, full of leaves and have flowered beautifully. the flowers have a light scent which i don't notice until i put my nose close to the flower. they are container grown using acidic soil. i thought i had lost them because in October all the leaves fell off. they came back in april. at first they were yellowish so i added nitrogen fertilizer, now they are very green and lush. even if it did not flower, i would still be happy with just the foliage. i bought them to cover a pergoda, but they seem very happy in their container.. maybe next year i'll put one in the ground first to see how it takes. currently they receive full sun, all day in the south garden.

• mattdiclemente
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you Saigee, for your great information!
    I am glad you have been having so much sucess with them.
    It is very interesting to know that Frangipani vines may be deciduous. That encourages me to try them. It is a great deal easier to overwinter dormant plants indoors that don't require prime window space.
    I agree with you. Their foliage is very appealing.
    Best wishes,
    Sincerely,
    Matt

• orchidbee
    12 years ago

Matt et al,

I have been smelling C. fragrans periodically but I could at times only detect a mild fragrance. The flowers are very beautiful with the Apocynaceous whirl and straight squared off petal tips.

I visited Girardinos (rare flora)and mentioned to Sid my disappointment with the plant's fragrance. Sid said there are actually two species in cultivation. C. fragrans which is mildly fragrant and C. panangensis which is fully fragrant! I bought one of the later, which was about a foot tall in a 3 gallon pot. It had two inflorescences. It sequential bloomer so it buds continue to develop and it continues to flower for some time. The flowers look the same as C. fragrans. It is not wafting but a large plant with many flowers probably will produce scent detectable away from the flowers

A warning, however, these can become huge woody vines

Happy sniffing

• mattdiclemente
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank-you for your information orchidbee!
    Where did you purchase your C. panangensis ?

• orchidbee
    12 years ago

Matt,
    I bought it at Giardino's in Palm Beach County, FL. The nursery has a website where it is rareflora.

happy sniffing