Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Jasminum azoricum

My Jasminum azoricum that I ordered from Logee's this spring finally opened 2 blooms last night (I think it was around 10pm before they finally fully opened, later than my other jasmines).

Granted I only have 2 blooms to sniff but currently the scent reminds me of a mixture of Jasminum polyanthum and Jasminum molle.

So far the fragrance is not as strong as my sambacs or my molle.

Anyone else have any opinions on the scent/plant?

-Robert

Comments (18)

• flowers_galore
    12 years ago

J. Azoricum has one of the sweetest smells, however since the flowers are small, if there are a bunch of flowers you will be able to appreciate it better. I like Jasmines all sizes and shapes and their subtle different fragrances and even Molle which has a slightly stronger fragrance. For me, Molle, if I make a string of flowers, it is strong fragrance after a while. But with J. Azoricum, I do not feel that. HTH...

• kandhi
    11 years ago

Robert, how is your J.azoricum doing, how big is it now? How do you rate the fragrnace compared to J.molle.. too many questions.. thanks

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kandhi!

In an effort to reduce my potted plants I planted it in the ground at the base of a trellis on our arbor and it's grown to the top and I can no longer smell it. :(
    Before it got so tall I had several blooms at nose height and the scent is a bit similar to J. molle but not as musky. It is a very pleasant scent however it being a vine it is too difficult for me to maintain with all my other potted plants.
    I might dig it up come fall if there's room in the basement however I've got 9 plumerias, brugmansias, brunfelsias, jasminums, etc. to store. Laugh.
    Here's a pic from today. You can see the white blooms above my Brassavola orchid ('Daniel Weeks' ginger is blooming beneath the orchid).

-Robert

• kandhi
    11 years ago

wow, within a year it grew this big? How did it survive outside, did you have it in pot or in the ground since last year? I thought they die if temp go below 30s. I ordered one of these recently and it is in 6inch pot now with buds. I had couple of blooms and I find the fragrance fresh floral but it may not be same for others. Do agree vines are hard to manage indoors, that's why I gave away my j.tortuosum. I like the fragrance of J.molle and J.azoricum than J.tortuosum. But nothing compared to sambac's though. I have some plumeria's too, but they grow too big to maintain indoors and haul in and out for just few blooms, they are very low maintenance plants for sure. Your ginger plant is lovely and I can imagine the fragrance.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! 'Daniel Weeks' ginger has not disappointed.
    Yes. J. azoricum is a rampant grower (part of the reason why in the spring I planted it in the ground instead of trying to maintain it in a pot like last year). It spent the winter in the basement under the fluorescent lights with the other plants (that's how it survived). I was just tired of watering so many plants so in the spring I planted it in the ground.
    I agree it doesn't compare to sambacs (my 'Belle of India' has been perfuming our arbor at night...heavenly!) but it is a jasmine to consider for collectors.
    I've always been curious about J. tortuosum but another vine doesn't seem practical. :)

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Robert, how is your J.azoricum doing this year? I have my plant in 8inch pot and it 3ft leggy plant but I do not see much growth. Yours looks good, did it survive outside for you in your zone? Do you think planting this outside in ground is better option to have growth/blooms than maintaining it in pots? Attached below is the pic of my plant. This is not as robust in growth/blooming as J.molle.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi kandhi!

I knew mine wouldn't make it through our winter in the ground but was also debating on whether or not I wanted to dig it up and save it. I think I waited too long before I dug it up and mine is probably dead (got too cold).

Funny you should ask since I was just looking at it this morning thinking I should probably throw it away. Laugh.

The thing is the roots look like they're alive but there's absolutely no growth up top. :(

-Robert

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Robert, sorry to hear about your plant. I like the fragrance but at this rate with growth sometimes I wonder if it is worth giving it space indoors to accommodate to maintain it in winter..

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, kandhi, but it's my own fault for not making up my mind in time. Laugh.

Have you ever sniffed Jasminum humile 'Revolutum'?
    I think it will be the next jasmine I try.

We heard a piece about Shohreh Aghdashloo's book, The Alley of Love and Yellow Jasmine and she misses the scent of that jasmine growing in Tehran or at least I'm assuming it is J. humile. ;)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 9:37

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Rober, I did have Jasmine humile at one point but it was getting out of control as it grows very well in winter too. I gave a 10inch pot 5ft plant to one of my friend. The blooms are beautiful with spicy fragrance not a trun jasmine fragrance.. The color is so intense/pretty flowers
    pics from 2 years ago

Original Author
    10 years ago

Gorgeous color! I've read the scent is sort of like carnations?
    Maybe one day I'll try one but in the meanwhile I just ordered Logee's French Perfume Jasmine âÂÂFlora Plenaâ (Jasminum grandiflorum).
    Yup. There's no hope for me. :)

-Robert

• kemistry
    10 years ago

I've sniffed Jasmine humile.. its scent didn't impress me but I do agree that it has a nice color. : )

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Robert,

I have that one (the double French Perfume Jasmine). Its a nice vigorous plant. Just one thing that annoys me is the flower buds don't always open right. But it may be because the low humidity here.

I say the scent is first like gardenia but then the musky notes start to overpower the gardenia notes as the flower ages. I presume it would be a great wafter in high humidity.

Kem, I was thinking about adding a yellow jasmine, but thanks for your thoughts on Revolutum. There seems at least 3 other yellow jasmine species. Wonder if they are worth it for the scent.

This post was edited by musaboru on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 1:14

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Maybe you could try jasminum odoratissimum. I'm still curious about that one.. : )

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dar.

I was wondering if J. grandiflorum would have the musky undertones like J. officinale.

It was hard deciding on which jasmine to choose.
    I really like the large petals of the single J. grandiflorum that Logee's offers however the glowing review from a customer on their site about 'Flora Plena' swayed me.
    Now that I know it smells similar to gardenias I'm glad I chose this one!

And forget J. odoratissimum, Kem! You'd probably end up with some lightly scented clone (though the fruity scent description on TT sounds right up your alley!).

What about Jasminum simplicifolium subsp. australiense (Syn.: Jasminum volubile, wax jasmine)?
    Kartuz's site says it has a wonderful strong scent.
    Anyone ever grow/sniff this one? It's on my list! :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

Robert,
    I only notice the gardenia note when the flower is newly opened then it gradually is overpowered by the musky notes (kind of like that of Jasminum polyanthum).

Jasminum volubile has a similar musky-scent profile to J. officinale, but the latter is stronger IMO.

Jasminum tortuosum on the other hand has a sweet scent. It's like the jasmine scent you can find in fragrance oils in the candle section of big box stores.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your input, Dar!

Just ordered a starter J. tortuosum off eBay for $10.15 with S&H.

You're as dangerous of a friend as Kemistry! Laugh.

-Robert

• true_blue
    10 years ago

Robert, the Jasmine in Shohreh Aghdashloo's book is probably Jasminum officinale.
    There is cute scene with Jasmines in Persepolis a black & white comic /animation too....

Here is a link that might be useful: Jasmine in Persepolis