Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenius

Blooming in July!! we fell behind!

fenius
9 years ago

Hey guys! I couldn't wait to share this, after 10 years of hunting and failures I finally saw my gardenia brighamii bloom last night (I have this plant for almost 3 years) Story and better daytime photos to follow, along with other july bloomers, unfortunately I've been swamped lately, didn't even have time to order plumerias yet!!!

Comments (41)

• lazybonz
    9 years ago

Congrats! I didn't know that a gardenia could have a flower in that shape. Very pretty, indeed and I'll bet the fragrance is just as nice.

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

I love this flower! I have a large gardenia tree that I have had for at least 7 years now. The flowers are huge and highly fragrant. I need to get one of these gardenia like this. I have been wanting a yellow flowered for a long time. For me it comes down to having good light over the winter.

Thanks for sharing!

Andrew

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Beautiful gardenia. How's the fragrance?
    This far every single variety I've tried blooms itself to death. Lol.

Water spider Lily.

Smells like.... Angel trumpets...

This post was edited by Ordphien on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 18:22

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

That is so beautiful Ordphien.. Water spider lily!! That is new to me..I have Hymenocallis that bloomed this year. But these are very beautiful. May I ask you your source for this?? And its botanical name if you are aware.. I am trying water gardening this year( as every year) and I am hoping to be successful this year. May be I can plant them in my little water lily pot. Thank you so much..
    I saw something similar on ebay from Thailand. called
    Pancratium zeylanicum ,spider White lily.. Is it the same??
    Thanks again,
    Radha.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider lily

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I purchased this at a local nursery. But I think it's a US native so I don't think it's hard to find.

This is a hymenocallis actually! Hymenocallis liriosme. It's decently compact too.

Edit - I just looked at the tag. It seems it's originally from McDonald's aquatic nursery.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 18:42

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Thank you, I researched it after I posted and it is as you said H. lirisome. It looks like a couple of aquatic plant nurseries have it. How deep did you plant it in that pot? I may just have to get one...

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

2 nd blooming this year.. Beautiful yellowish orange fragrant flowers..slightly out of focus, taking closeups with Iphone.

This post was edited by radhavall on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 20:43

• ordphien
    9 years ago

I keep the crown of the plant just above the water. The pot is submerged. Sometimes when I fill the pond the crown gets submerged for short periods.

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info.. Really beautiful flowers..

• restoner
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures!

Saw this today growing next to a highway. I think it's Passiflora incarnata. Smells a bit like grapes and something else.

• misha74
    9 years ago

A couple of my jasmnes that are blooming now..

This post was edited by misha74 on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 0:57

• misha74
    9 years ago

Jasminum nitidum

• misha74
    9 years ago

Jasminum sambac

• misha74
    9 years ago

Sambac

• misha74
    9 years ago

Jasminum tortuosum

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Love all the photos!
    Curious about the single star shaped sambac jasmine.
    Never seen that variety before.
    wonder how the scent compares to other sambacs?
    My current favorite fragrance is coming from the Chinese Perfume Plant (Aglaia odorata).
    I think the scent is superior to chicken foot's.

-Robert

• kemistry
    9 years ago

That's a pretty cute sambac misha. It doesn't look like the regular sambac Maid of Orleans that we are familiar with. Nice! : )

Love your Aglaia Robert! Wow!

Here is Pua Keni Keni again. On a hot night 3 little blooms pumped out so much fragrance. It has a really sweet smell!!

• misha74
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert and Kem! Single star shaped sambac has more heavier and saturated scent comapred to 'belle' or ' maid'... But equally wonderful.. The flower is over 2 inches across.
    Robert, your aglaia is just gorgeous! I bet you're enjoying the fragrance big time. Is that some brunfelsia in the back?
    Kem..your fagrea looks very healthy, simply glowing..and after reading about the scent, I can't wait for mine to bloom..

This post was edited by misha74 on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 6:14

• misha74
    9 years ago

I have a question for jasmine experts.. Recently I acquired small sambac plant with blooms that resemble ' Belle of India' but it's three layered. Is there a cultivar with such a flower shape or I should file it under ' unknown' or maybe call it 3layered belle :) And the scent is very similar to regular belle...sweet and wonderful.
    Here are a few blooms that I picked from the plant:

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    9 years ago

Penang Peach Plumeria!!

Picture taken yesterday....

Love all of your pics !! I hope you all are having a great summer!!!!

It's already going by to fast. When I'm working on my schedule for Labor Day Weekend? Makes me sad....

Have a great weekend!!!

Laura

9 years ago

Good eye, Misha!
    That is Brunfelsia gigantea in the background.
    It truly is gigantic. Just wish it would bloom. Tried giving it more fertilizer but still no buds. :(

Love your sambac. I've never seen it here in the states.

The aglaia has been wonderful today with the high temps and humidity. :)

Laura,

Love your plumies!

-Robert

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Misha,
    3 layered Jasmine looks like belle variety. It has longer stem and bud is slender. Very nice bud. It could be the one I saw in India as BOI. The fragrance is more sweet and refined than the other Jasmine sambac types..

I am not sure the single petal is sambac type. It is Jasmine variety for sure. I am very happy that these plants are available all over and everyone can enjoy. Please let me know if you know the name of the single variety name..
    I have many varieties now, so I am comparing flower types and so on..

IMHO, every one must have a jasmine plant!!

This post was edited by radhavall on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:28

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

'Dwarf Watermelon' just started unfurling its petals. my gosh, the scent is divine. Like opening a bottlw of Downey fabric softner but it is more on the fruity side with hints of cherries or strawberries and also peaches.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone.
    Here's a faithful bloomer for new. Maxillaria tenuifolia.. The scent ranges from suntan oil, to freshly baked coconut cream pie.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos everyone.
    Here's a faithful bloomer for new. Maxillaria tenuifolia.. The scent ranges from suntan oil, to freshly baked coconut cream pie.

{{!gwi}}

9 years ago

Musaboru,
    Congrats! Must say your scent description sounds intriguing. :)

Ordphien,
    I love coconut orchids! They smell intensely sweet.

The cool weather we had last week must have triggered my scrappy Fudingzhu sweet olive to bloom! Woo hoo!

-Robert

9 years ago

One of the perks of growing fragrant plants is bringing a bloom to work with ya to sniff. ;)
    This is a Plumeria 'California Sunset' flower I picked off the ground this morning.
    It has a light peachy scent.

-Robert

• User
    9 years ago

Lovely photos everyone. Fenius, I'm still waiting for your story!

Robert when I bought my Osmanthus fragrans 3 years ago, it was exactly like yours. brown-tipped leaves, bare stems etc. Over the years, it has filled out. It will keep it's bear stems and sheds rarely.

What I like about it, is that it has been flowering on & off since winter. Obviously the scent is more pronounced in spring, i.e. it wafts more readily then. I keep it close to the stairs, so it can surprise anyone going up and down the path ;-)

Here is mine after 3 years. It still has one of it's brown tipped leaves after all these years...

9 years ago

Yours looks so much better than mine! Congrats!

I don't think sweet olives like the intense heat we get in Oklahoma. :(
    I keep thinking I'm going to get rid of mine until I sniff its gloriously scented blooms. Laugh.

-Robert

9 years ago

Love them all...

Wish I could have more jasmine... Sigh!! You guys are not helping me!!! ;-)

Love the lighting , Robert.... Beautiful as the sunsets on a California bloom....

Here is another opening today.. Very fragrant plumeria called J-105

Have a great day, everyone!!!!

Laura

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert, but mine is older than yours, it's normal :-)

I grow mine in part shade, do you grow yours in shade?

I thought you were going to plant yours in the ground?

• fenius
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We may have started late but this month has the best scents yet!!
    Here are some more of mine:
    this a mini red rose with scent which is very rare I hear..It is a gift from a friend of mine from my greek forum who has been messing with tissue culture

this is an austin rose; Wollerton Old Hall and it smells exactly like ouzo (a greek licorice grappa like drink!)

And this is a new entry, dendrobium cretaceum, blooms on bare stems and smells like hyacinth (not sure I like it much)

I have a peach growing too not sure it qualifies but it does smell nice! Can't wait for more of your photos guys, keep them flowing!

9 years ago

I probably should plant the sweet olive in the ground but then I'd have to kneel down to sniff it! Laugh.

Fenius,
    Love that gorgeous white rose!

Here's another plumie bloom from earlier this month.
    It's called Incognito and has a light floral perfume scent that intensifies one the bloom has fallen.

-Robert

P.S. Almost forgot. Dang that's a gorgeous plumie, Laura!
    And you had to tell us it has a strong scent. Dang you! Laugh.

This post was edited by robert1971 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 14:09

9 years ago

I love when the Belle of India jasmine blooms are opening in the evenings.
    Couldn't imagine summer without the scent of sambacs. :)

-Robert

• misha74
    9 years ago

Robert, your brunfelsia gigantea is indeed large and nice looking...Shame it's not flowering. I'm growing a couple of brunfs but seriously think of giving up on them. They have one flush of flowers, if any.. usially in autumn, when the days get shorter and night temps drops. Scent is wonderful but I wonder is it worth taking up the space?
    Radhavall, the single petal jasmin is sambac 100%. I have many jasmines and I can distinguish sambac type. It's just not common or commercially available as some of the famous cultivars. If travel throughout tropical Asia and middle East, one can see a different sambac variations. Some of them are resault of natural hybridization or polyploidy which is very common in sambacs.

This post was edited by misha74 on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 5:20

• blutayle
    9 years ago

Brunfelsia smelling up the whole side yard and even into the street...very heavy tonight....Gigantea has the best smell. On its heels, a zygopetalum budding up and I am ready for its amazing scent.

9 years ago

Paul Weissich Plumeria

Love the orange tones.. Fragrant as well...

Have a great day!!

Laura

9 years ago

Ugh. So jealous of your glorious Brunfelsia!
    Any tips besides moving to Florida? ;)
    Mine gets dappled sun throughout the day. Thinking about tip pruning some branches to see if that might encourage blooms. :)

Laura,
    Another lovely plumie! Congrats.

My first tuberose bloom is starting to open.
    Thinking about cutting it to enjoy the wonderful scent.

-Robert

• blutayle
    9 years ago

Hi Robert,

This gigantea wants to grow like a weed. I have it in a pot with MG potting soil amended with extra peat, perlite, and black kow. It does get ratty in the winter so in spring I prune by a third. It comes back strong and very thirsty...have to up pot it again. Mine is also dappled sun for summer as it wilts pretty quickly in midday heat.

9 years ago

Thanks, Blutayle!

I cut mine back as well in the fall just to get it through the basement door and you're right, they're water hogs. :)

Radermachera kunming is scenting the arbor with its unique scent.
    Almost got rid of it last year but my partner likes it.
    Haven't repotted it yet. Just scratched in some Dynamite fertilizer. Have to water the darn thing 3 or 4 times a day! Laugh.

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

OMG so many beautiful flowers :) and whats this Robert you say chicken foot' has a fragrance!!! :P :)
    so loving the Plumeria so wish mine would flower they are growing beautifully but as yet no flowers :(
    How is your Plumeria stenopetala coming along Robert?
    Here are a few photos some are from last month as I have been a bit busy

EPIPHYLLUM cooperi the most amazing fragrance lasted 3 nights :)

Another white fragrant epi no lable slightly different to cooperi

these got me in the EPIPHYLLUM mood so i went out and bought EPIPHYLLUM PEGASUS has not flowered for me yet but is suppose to be fragrant

Then we have Vanda denisoniana well know evening fragrant orchid

Miltassia Shelob Tolkien spice scent

Magnolia x wieseneri beautiful flowers and beautiful fragrance

Odontonia samuria vanilla scented

Encyclia Radiata very fragrant

Oncidium Hastilabium had over a 4 foot flower spike

dwarf lilac little miss kim

Zenobia wonderful cinnamon scented flowers also has great autum color with leaves of red orange and purple