Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenscents

Little things make us happy...

gardenscents
12 years ago

I have been laboriously planting seeds from Murraya paniculata (from a Logees plant mother) and babying them all summer. The one that I planted next to her mother has been up for a few months, is about 5 inches tall, and lo and behold has flower buds on it! Yeah! I have two others planted in pots with plumeria and hibiscus a little behind, but still surviving. Will be moving those to their own pots soon. But I am so happy! My sister has a yard full of orange jasmine (Murraya) and I can't get the dang things to root so I tried the seeds. The plant is now forbidden to be sold in Florida so my sources dried up.

RuthAnne in SC

Comments (10)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Ruth:

I can't believe that you got your to flower from seed.

Bravo and thanks for giving those who can no longer buy them hope.

Mike:-)

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike, when I left South Florida, I left behind a HEDGE (7-8 plants) of Orange Jasmine about 6 ft tall. I can't believe I'm obsessing over 2 little jasmine plants - 5" and 3 ft tall. Have been pretty successful though with the plumeria and meyer lemons in SC and they smell good too! I think the key to the seedling was the freshness - I planted it right after I picked it.

Pictures will follow when it opens...:)

RuthAnne in SC

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hi Ruth:

It is crazy how we get so excited over plants that we know we could grow anywhere in the tropics and bring a taste of that home.

I have a house in PR and it is loaded with all the plants I have here in pots, way up North..lol

I would love to see a picture once it opens! My little one was loaded with blooms and I couldn't walk to take pictures of it. I was so excited. It was heavenly.

It is starting to seed. When is it good to pick the seed?

Thanks and I hope you are having a great day.

Mike:-)

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike - the little green seeds will turn bright red. Pick them then, take the red coating off (slides right off) and plant the little white seed that's inside. I didn't do anything special but put it next to its mother, but I did take other seeds and put them in seed starting mix, cover with plastic and wait. They root rather quickly. I think the key is fresh seeds, like I said. Good luck. Picture will come when it blooms. Do you have plumeria in PR? Love my plumeria. I have some seeds to Black Cyclone that have come up and I've been able to pot already! Oops - that's another forum!

RuthAnne

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Ruth:

Thank you for this information. I shall have to try that and it just might be another little thing that makes me happy!

Yo love Plumeria? So do I. I have plenty of them. I would also consider them a fragrant, so bring it on here:-0)
    I never heard of a Black Cyclone. Do you have a picture? It sounds very nice!

Mike

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just planted the seeds so it could be 5 to 10 years before I have a flower! I do have 4 or 5 seeds left if you want them. Look on ebay for a picture - like a dark purple. My seedlings are only 4 or 5 inches but they came right up so the seed was viable in the spring. I got them from ebay.

RuthAnne in SC

The seedlings of a NOID red/white stripe I planted 4 years ago MIGHT bloom this year. Looks like it but for sure next year! How many plumeria can one have?

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Ruth:

You are so kind. Thank you for the offer.

It sounds like you have a few very plants plants for yourself. You know that I would be thrilled to see your pics if you ever get brave enough to post them. That plumeria sounds so pretty!

Mine are growing well, although I wish I had more flowers. One can nevr have too many plumeria..lol

Mike

• jimshy
    12 years ago

Seeds are definitely a lot of pleasure for little cost or effort -- I planted two loquat seeds in a pot with a dead diascorea in it, after eating a couple of fresh ones, and was ridiculously pleased when not only did the loquats germinate, but the diascorea came back from the dead as well!

It's funny, I can't find murraya anywhere in NYC except one shop in Chinatown at great expense -- I wonder if it's because of the ban in Florida that all the wholesale nurseries have stopped propagating them?

Keep those seedlings growing!

• gardenscents
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jimshy - you can get murraya from Logees. I got one there and it blooms ridiculously and that's where I got the seeds from. I'll have more seeds available in the next month or so and I'd be happy to share!

RuthAnne

Mike - haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Ruth, if you would like to post pictures, I would be willing to teach you here or in my e-mail. feel free to ask anytime:-)

You must have some beautiful plants.

Mike

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area