Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgh3060

Cestrum Nocturnum flowers no scent

cgh3060
12 years ago

I grew 4 Cestrum Nocturnums from seeds and they are about 3 ft. tall and 2 of them flowered 3 clusters each, but when they open up at night you can only smell the scent from 1" away is it because the first time they flower? I've been using Miracle grow bloom booster every 14 days I had the same plant last year but it died on me so I decided to grow from seeds and that plant you could smell the flowers from far away, any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• mehitabel
    12 years ago

Hi, tomatela. I've had at least 4 or 5 different ones of these over the years, from different sources, and a scentless one I've never encountered. One scentless one from seed could be possible, but four out of the same high-fragrance plant doesn't seem genetically likely.

My guess is it's either the youth of your plants (cutting-started ones would bloom sooner and heavier), or something about your conditions (which you don't discuss). Larger plants with more blooms would waft further. A young plant with just three or so flower clusters might actually not waft much.

Your page doesn't say where you are, but cestrum want the hottest, sunniest place in the garden, and lots of water. Both bloom amount and scent will be better in a hotter, sunnier place. I would give a balanced fertilizer instead of too much of the bloom-booster, as more growth, more blooms on cestrum, which blooms on new growth.

I also pinch the tips as they grow--this keeps the plant thicker, and results in more blooms.

I would say have some patience and then see what happens.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

I notice that sometimes, older flowers do not put out any fragrance after a few nights.

• cgh3060
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi guys and thanks for the replies, I'm in NJ and the weather this summer is been in the upper 90's so far with high humidity and they are in the full sun all day long the ones that flowered are in pots and the others in the ground mehitabel when you mean pinching, is pinching off every new growth on every branch? I will also try a more balanced fertilizer. thanks

• mehitabel
    12 years ago

By pinching I mean, wait till a new shoot grows out 8-10 inches, then pinch out the center with thumb and forefinger. You should aim for the centermost tiniest two leaves, tho I sometimes just take the smallest 4 or so if they're too small.

There will be two branches set for every center you pinch out.

Good luck. I'm sure the scent will be knocking you out by fall, or next year at least.