Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cestrum Nocturnum flowers no scent

Posted by tomatela (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 11:29

I grew 4 Cestrum Nocturnums from seeds and they are about 3 ft. tall and 2 of them flowered 3 clusters each, but when they open up at night you can only smell the scent from 1" away is it because the first time they flower? I've been using Miracle grow bloom booster every 14 days I had the same plant last year but it died on me so I decided to grow from seeds and that plant you could smell the flowers from far away, any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cestrum Nocturnum flowers no scent

Hi, tomatela. I've had at least 4 or 5 different ones of these over the years, from different sources, and a scentless one I've never encountered. One scentless one from seed could be possible, but four out of the same high-fragrance plant doesn't seem genetically likely.

My guess is it's either the youth of your plants (cutting-started ones would bloom sooner and heavier), or something about your conditions (which you don't discuss). Larger plants with more blooms would waft further. A young plant with just three or so flower clusters might actually not waft much.

Your page doesn't say where you are, but cestrum want the hottest, sunniest place in the garden, and lots of water. Both bloom amount and scent will be better in a hotter, sunnier place. I would give a balanced fertilizer instead of too much of the bloom-booster, as more growth, more blooms on cestrum, which blooms on new growth.

I also pinch the tips as they grow--this keeps the plant thicker, and results in more blooms.

I would say have some patience and then see what happens.

o

I notice that sometimes, older flowers do not put out any fragrance after a few nights.

o

Hi guys and thanks for the replies, I'm in NJ and the weather this summer is been in the upper 90's so far with high humidity and they are in the full sun all day long the ones that flowered are in pots and the others in the ground mehitabel when you mean pinching, is pinching off every new growth on every branch? I will also try a more balanced fertilizer. thanks

o

By pinching I mean, wait till a new shoot grows out 8-10 inches, then pinch out the center with thumb and forefinger. You should aim for the centermost tiniest two leaves, tho I sometimes just take the smallest 4 or so if they're too small.

There will be two branches set for every center you pinch out.

Good luck. I'm sure the scent will be knocking you out by fall, or next year at least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here